Technology Do IOS apps crash more then android apps?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That's not malware, it's to do with integrating specific services straight into an app. It is a privacy issue however, and will be fixed soon enough.

it is spyware (spying on your contacts information, which should be private), which is a type of malware - also curious to see what apple's response is, considering it was due yesterday

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
it is spyware (spying on your contacts information, which should be private), which is a type of malware - also curious to see what apple's response is, considering it was due yesterday
This is neither, it was never spying -- it used the data for friend suggestions:

This is there response to the matter: link

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
This is neither, it was never spying -- it used the data for friend suggestions:

This is there response to the matter: link

I meant apple's response to the congress inquiry, not that individual company's response

and by the definition of spying
"obtaining information that is considered secret or confidential without the permission of the holder of the information"

and that it was a program that did that, I would say it was spyware

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I meant apple's response to the congress inquiry, not that individual company's response
I know, I posted it because it explained why the app was collecting address book data. I see why you thought that though.
and by the definition of spying

and that it was a program that did that, I would say it was spyware
That may be the definition of spying, but spyware is designed to steal information. Path is a genuine app, they just went about getting the users Address Book information the wrong way, although they did have a valid purpose for it. This isn't like an app designed specifically to steal information, money or anything else, from the user, and there's plenty of those on the Marketplace. You won't really have a problem with the apps on the Marketplace if you're careful with what you buy, but the majority are technologically illiterate.

Google really needs to crack down on that and at least have some kind of review process for apps to prevent malware getting in the store.

I'll quote what I wanted you to read from the link:

Through the feedback we’ve received from all of you, we now understand that the way we had designed our ‘Add Friends’ feature was wrong. We are deeply sorry if you were uncomfortable with how our application used your phone contacts.

In the interest of complete transparency we want to clarify that the use of this information is limited to improving the quality of friend suggestions when you use the ‘Add Friends’ feature and to notify you when one of your contacts joins Path––nothing else. We always transmit this and any other information you share on Path to our servers over an encrypted connection. It is also stored securely on our servers using industry standard firewall technology.

We believe you should have control when it comes to sharing your personal information. We also believe that actions speak louder than words. So, as a clear signal of our commitment to your privacy, we’ve deleted the entire collection of user uploaded contact information from our servers. Your trust matters to us and we want you to feel completely in control of your information on Path.

In Path 2.0.6, released to the App Store today, you are prompted to opt in or out of sharing your phone’s contacts with our servers in order to find your friends and family on Path. If you accept and later decide you would like to revoke this access, please send an email to [email protected] and we will promptly see to it that your contact information is removed.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
This isn't like an app designed specifically to steal information, money or anything else, from the user,

and a spy's job isn't only to steal information, it is also to pretend to have a different life/job/etc. as well, it's just that 1% of the time when they are stealing information that makes them a spy - just like other spyware apps, say "browser toolbars" - they supposedly have a purpose of doing SOMETHING other then stealing information, otherwise why would anyone install them? just like the spy has a purpose of doing SOMETHING other then stealing information, say working at a nuclear reactor as a scientist, in addition to sending information to the CIA about how enriched and how much u-235 there is at said reactor.

still can't find apple's response to congress..

android lists what the apps have permissions to before installing them.. meaning an app won't be looking into your contacts without your knowledge - actually doing a full review of the code would be very labor-intensive to do a good job, which is why Apple isn't having much success - or why they didn't even bother to do so for macs - a quick scan with an anti-virus might be a good 2nd choice, which there are apps that do that

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
and a spy's job isn't only to steal information, it is also to pretend to have a different life/job/etc. as well, it's just that 1% of the time when they are stealing information that makes them a spy - just like other spyware apps, say "browser toolbars" - they supposedly have a purpose of doing SOMETHING other then stealing information, otherwise why would anyone install them? just like the spy has a purpose of doing SOMETHING other then stealing information, say working at a nuclear reactor as a scientist, in addition to sending information to the CIA about how enriched and how much u-235 there is at said reactor.

still can't find apple's response to congress..
So you're suggesting this app was designed with the sole purpose to pretend to have a valid use, but steal information secretly? (I know you're not, I'm making a point.)
android lists what the apps have permissions to before installing them.. meaning an app won't be looking into your contacts without your knowledge - actually doing a full review of the code would be very labor-intensive to do a good job, which is why Apple isn't having much success - or why they didn't even bother to do so for macs - a quick scan with an anti-virus might be a good 2nd choice, which there are apps that do that
Well, it's far from perfect: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1334092&highlight=android+ios+photo
That maybe true about contacts, but not about photos. Right now, if you grant an app permissions to use the internet, it has full access to your photo library, on Android. There's a bug on iOS too, which allows an app full access to your photo library if you grant it access to location services.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
So you're suggesting this app was designed with the sole purpose to pretend to have a valid use, but steal information secretly? (I know you're not, I'm making a point.)

maybe not this app in particular, but I am sure that there are tons of apps that do just that

Well, it's far from perfect: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1334092&highlight=android+ios+photo
That maybe true about contacts, but not about photos. Right now, if you grant an app permissions to use the internet, it has full access to your photo library, on Android. There's a bug on iOS too, which allows an app full access to your photo library if you grant it access to location services.

you still need to allow the app to have access to the SD card and internet, although I agree "SD card" is rather vague as far as permissions go...

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
maybe not this app in particular, but I am sure that there are tons of apps that do just that
That's just speculation though, neither of us know whether or not that's the case, and there's nothing either of us can do to prove it one way or another. Unless we engage in... SPECULATION WAR!!!! :D
you still need to allow the app to have access to the SD card and internet, although I agree "SD card" is rather vague as far as permissions go...
If you've got photos on your device though, you need only allow the internet permissions. Which, I assume is an oversight or a bug, as internet is totally unrelated to the users photos.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That's just speculation though

as a programmer I can tell you there is incentive to do so and next to nothing stopping me from making a quick app that does exactly that, therefore it exists

If you've got photos on your device though, you need only allow the internet permissions. Which, I assume is an oversight or a bug, as internet is totally unrelated to the users photos.

the app still needs permission to read the contents of the SD card - android is linux-based and apps by default don't have read access on the SD card, they have access only to their own folder inside the internal phone storage (each app runs as a separate user with only basic privileges by default)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
as a programmer I can tell you there is incentive to do so and next to nothing stopping me from making a quick app that does exactly that, therefore it exists
The potential exists, yes.
the app still needs permission to read the contents of the SD card - android is linux-based and apps by default don't have read access on the SD card, they have access only to their own folder inside the internal phone storage (each app runs as a separate user with only basic privileges by default)
That's not what was mentioned in the article though, it simply said you need only allow it internet permissions and it gains full access to your photo albums, I shall quote it:

In the case of Android-based applications, the user only needs to allow the application to use Internet services as part of the app for third parties to gain access to photo albums.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That's not what was mentioned in the article though, it simply said you need only allow it internet permissions and it gains full access to your photo albums, I shall quote it:

again, that is a reporter who doesn't understand what is actually going on the device - it needs internet permissions to transmit the images, and SD card privileges to view/read the images, with only 1 (but not the other), there isn't much that an app could do

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
again, that is a reporter who doesn't understand what is actually going on the device - it needs internet permissions to transmit the images, and SD card privileges to view/read the images, with only 1 (but not the other), there isn't much that an app could do
Perhaps, but it's also possible they're talking about a version of Android which does allow you access to the images via internet permissions, one you're not aware of.
the potential exists.. do I need to create one to prove my point? (id rather not as I don't have an iphone/development environment.. but I imagine I could in about 10-15 hours)
I already said it exists, so why would you? You can if you'd like but you'd probably have your app removed and your license revoked.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.