iPhone 4 announced... thoughts?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I think my biggest issue with the whole signal problem is Steve Jobs' response to it. That he expected people to either just hold it differently or buy a case on top of the already very expensive iPhone surely shows the contempt he has for Apple's core customer base.

I used to think Apple's products were pretty good, even if their software (iTunes) was crap. Now, I just see it as elitist junk (which is exactly how it's marketed) and I won't be buying anything they release for a long time to come.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score

The fact is, apple wasnt telling us how good or bad the signal actually was, and you used that as an argument to the fact that people get dropped calls or lose bars. The first is a problem and the second is a problem you tried to fix with the first problem.

I have no quarrels with apple at all, because ipods are probably the best media player out there IMO, but im not going to buy an iphone just because of this fact, problems are meant to be fixed, not covered up.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
The fact is, apple wasnt telling us how good or bad the signal actually was, and you used that as an argument to the fact that people get dropped calls or lose bars. The first is a problem and the second is a problem you tried to fix with the first problem.
No, Apple used a way of calculating the bars that was very accurate at weaker signals, but very inaccurate at stronger signals, it makes sense, but it isn't so great with the iPhone 4 since it drops more signal than previous iPhone's when held.

My first argument was not a fix for the second, and it is the reason why you lose bars when you hold the phone, an easy software fix. The second issue is that when you have really weak reception the call can be dropped, I assume this is because they are going below -113 dBm which is the weakest possible connection you can have before the call is lost.

So, for people stuck in that boat, they must use a case or take it back. For those who have strong signal, this should be a non issue.

Both of those problems have been heaped into one "antenna issue", it seems widespread because the software issue is going to appear with almost every iPhone 4 without a top notch signal, whilst the second issue may not be anywhere near as prominent.

Honestly, we'll just have to wait for the software update. If people report not only more accurate bars, but the loss of reception issue fixed as well, it's very likely that there was another software issue present, which Apple hid and fixed without telling us.

If the reception issue isn't fixed, well, it won't go away, but it'll be all that's left, so it'll be easier to see how many actually experience this issue.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I wonder what competitive commercials will come out of this. (From Sprint or Verizon :p)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Sweet, so iPhone 4 antenna problem isn't really as bad as it seemed, according to SJ's press conference. Plus they are giving free bumpers and third party cases away :)

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
This whole iPhone 4 is like an update to multi-instancability (spelling?).

I don't understand why they don't offer it an update instead of bringing a whole new phnoe to the market (which obviously isn't).

Is the new iPhone really MUCh better than the ones before it, performance wise?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
This whole iPhone 4 is like an update to multi-instancability (spelling?).

I don't understand why they don't offer it an update instead of bringing a whole new phnoe to the market (which obviously isn't).

Is the new iPhone really MUCh better than the ones before it, performance wise?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "why they don't offer it as an update". They did release iOS 4, for the iDevices -- not the first generation ones though. iOS 4 for iPad is currently unavailable.

The iPhone 4 is insanely better, you've got a better design (imo), the Retina display, the A4 CPU, better battery life, 512MB RAM, etc.

It's also got an improved antenna which allows the iPhone 4 to hold onto a signal 8 dBm lower than other smart phones, but because of its external nature it's much more sensitive to touch and drops 20 dBm in signal strength without a case when you hold it, it equates to about 12 dBm if you include the increased range it also gets.

For most the drop should be negligible, using a (now free) case or bumper should give you much improved signal strength over the 3GS for example.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
iAd should be fun. lol

That makes me never want an iPhone right there and makes all the positive updates from OS4 negligible.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
ads are what is ruining the internet, there are ads up your butt for every site you visit, the next thing we know, there are going to be ads in the elevator, and they will make you watch them before the elevator goes. We got em there!

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
iAd should be fun. lol

That makes me never want an iPhone right there and makes all the positive updates from OS4 negligi
You do realise, that a lot of iPhone apps are already supported by ads -- mostly the free ones.

iAds are better than normal ads, they take up the same space, they look better, they don't take you out of the app your in if you touch it, and you can exit it at anytime if you open it. Their like mini apps inside of other apps, some are pretty cool/useful.

Apple demo'd an App that allowed you to preview Toy Story 3, play a few games, watch trailers or clips, etc., another that showed you a college/uni room, and you could decorate it and then go to their website (leaving the app) and then purchase the stuff you put in the room.

Oh, and there was another advertising a car, and you could drive around with it, etc., that looked pretty cool.

Much better than your regular old "CLICK HERE" ad which'll open Safari and force you out of whatever you're doing.

sqrage

Reaction score
Yes but you can ignore the click here ones (err tap here?) unlike these which you are forced to watch. Dumb.

And of course Apple gets revenue from this. So they not only take sales revenue but also ad revenue from developers.

ReVolver

Reaction score
You do realise, that a lot of iPhone apps are already supported by ads -- mostly the free ones.

iAds are better than normal ads, they take up the same space, they look better, they don't take you out of the app your in if you touch it, and you can exit it at anytime if you open it. Their like mini apps inside of other apps, some are pretty cool/useful.

Apple demo'd an App that allowed you to preview Toy Story 3, play a few games, etc., another that showed you a college/uni room, and you could decorate it and then go to their website (from the app) and then purchase the stuff you put in the room.

Oh, and there was another advertising a car, and you could drive around with it, etc., that looked pretty cool.

Much better than your regular old "CLICK HERE" ad which'll open Safari and force you out of whatever you're doing.

An ad is an ad clean or dirty, what we need is an ad free environment for the customer, let he choose to view ads or not.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Yes but you can ignore the click here ones (err tap here?) unlike these which you are forced to watch. Dumb.

And of course Apple gets revenue from this. So they not only take sales revenue but also ad revenue from developers.
You aren't forced to watch iAds, if you want to watch one, tap it, if you don't, don't. It won't pop up, and if you do open it, it won't keep you from closing it.

Do you think Admob (Google), etc., don't take revenue from the developers?
Apple gives the developer 60% of the revenue (standard, IIRC), considering Apple manages everything, that's pretty good.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
ads are what is ruining the internet, there are ads up your butt for every site you visit, the next thing we know, there are going to be ads in the elevator, and they will make you watch them before the elevator goes. We got em there!

Ads are what keep the internet free. You should be glad there are ads.

sqrage

Reaction score
Ads are what keep the internet free. You should be glad there are ads.

Free? Really, hmm I wonder what this monthly recurring bill is then. :rolleyes:

>>You aren't forced to watch iAds, if you want to watch one, tap it, if you don't, don't. It won't pop up, and if you do open it, it won't keep you from closing it.

I'll believe it when I see it. All I know is I read somewhere about Steve Jobs patenting a form of advertising that would completely interrupt the user's interaction with the device until the ad is watched or at least interacted with.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
>Free? Really, hmm I wonder what this monthly recurring bill is then.

I'm fairly sure you know what I meant. :rolleyes:

By the off chance you didn't I meant that websites are free to access.

ReVolver

Reaction score
>Free? Really, hmm I wonder what this monthly recurring bill is then.

I'm fairly sure you know what I meant. :rolleyes:

By the off chance you didn't I meant that websites are free to access.

Sites are free, you get your own IP for people to access your files, but then again you are paying an internet service provider to have that. People are just looking for ways to have an excuse to force someone to watch something or click something, bottom line is, it's not free, we don't want your stupid ads, if you can't afford it -- then don't, if it's not worth your time to spend money then it's not really worth the effort.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
You realize without advertisements, almost all of the websites would be down by now?

Hosting isn't cheap. It can host thousands of dollars a month to run a huge website.

sqrage

Reaction score
Anyway, we're not talking about websites right now...we're talking about iPhone apps...which already cost money to buy, so why should we also get fed ads on them? It's ridiculous.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Anyway, we're not talking about websites right now...we're talking about iPhone apps...which already cost money to buy, so why should we also get fed ads on them? It's ridiculous.
The majority of paid apps (I've bought over a hundred) have no ads. In fact, I honestly don't think I own a paid app with ads.

I could be wrong when I say this, but iAds could be only for free, or cheap ($1) apps.

Albeit, I don't own any newer apps, but it goes to show that there isn't other advertising in them, I.E, Admob.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.