iPhone 4S...

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I'm paranoid of Siri...

Her voice just reminds me of:
Hahahahaha! That's funny :p
all of those sales might be from people who were going from the 3G to 4GS
Those sales also include the 3GS, 4, and 4S. They did one million in twenty four hours, and four million in about three days. I'd like to see what the numbers are after a week, or two weeks.

Many would also be going from the 3GS to the 4S, and from the 4 to the 4S.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Security issues with Siri:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/20/siri-security-android-iris

Not only that, Siri is actually still in beta development phase.
That's not a security issue. It's designed that way and it can be turned off easily although you lose functionality such as sending texts in the car when the phone is locked which would be why it's enabled by default in the first place. The only scenario here where this might happen, is if your phone is stolen and I really bet that thief is going to try and format it straight away and sell it rather than e-mail random people and mess with your calendar.

It's too easy to find your iPhone... you simply load up iCloud and go to Find my iPhone.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
^ You can't be serious.

That's like saying leaving your maid in the house and she will listen to anyone's command from outside the house. Sure, a few things might break or a wall might have a different colour but that's what the maid's designed to do. Security like Swiss cheese is okay as long as no one do anything to it, right?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
^ You can't be serious.

That's like saying leaving your maid in the house and she will listen to anyone's command from outside the house. Sure, a few things might break or a wall might have a different colour but that's what the maid's designed to do. Security like Swiss cheese is okay as long as no one do anything to it, right?
Uh, no. That's like leaving someone you don't know by themselves inside your house with a robotic maid designed to obey voice commands that knows your basic personal information such as a contacts list, without disabling the setting that prevents people issuing it commands without your password. That's your fault.

There's really only one "real" scenario that someone will be in a situation to mess with your calendars and send random emails, etc., and that's when the phones stolen. The thief however, isn't risking getting arrested for theft just to sit down with your phone and try and change your appointments and send random messages to people in your contacts.

And if it happens that they end up doing that, I'll be quite happy because that means my phone will be turned on and I'm able to track it in and find out where they are in only a few minutes, and notify the police and get my rather expensive phone back. I'll also fix any changes. (I'm not sure if there's a way or not, but I'd probably disconnect Calendars, Contacts, etc., so any changes made on the phone aren't made in the Cloud.)

Duwenbasden

Reaction score
Security by obscurity is not security. You are trying to argue since nobody can do it, it is safe. If the contact list leaked happens to be top confidential lists of trade secrets, now what? Chances of it done is low, but the point is IT CAN HAPPEN. Also, tracking is not as precise as you'd think. If the thief goes indoors or turns off the phone, you're screwed.

I don't know why you people keep insisting that "Apple can do no wrong". Everything has flaws: if it has flaws, admit, and provides promise to fix said flaw. That's how it is supposed to work. Getting mighty tired of Apple fans doing the "nah nah it is not a bug it's a feature" charade over very single fucking flaw, and blaming the users for its faults.

Anyway, adding to this thread:

I've played with the iPhone4S. It feels nice, plays nice, also works fine. It gets boring real quickly though without downloading applications to it, and I don't usually do much apps on my phones. I am sure the phone will get awesome if you have much more apps on it, much like the desktop OSes. Since my philosophy to never let a phone without Flash be my primary phone, I'll sit on the sideline for now. Now, if you say anything about HTML5, I assure you I'll drop this silly thing if every site I visit uses HTML5, which is now happening now.

//edit: Also, it looks awesome. :D Seal of approval from me.

Duwenbasden

Reaction score
Someone needs to ask her to sing a song, and ask her for cake.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Security by obscurity is not security. You are trying to argue since nobody can do it, it is safe. If the contact list leaked happens to be top confidential lists of trade secrets, now what? Chances of it done is low, but the point is IT CAN HAPPEN. Also, tracking is not as precise as you'd think. If the thief goes indoors or turns off the phone, you're screwed.
The point is, anyone who would have such information would simply disable the feature. You don't use a phone, load confidential lists of trade secrets, and then not make sure the phone is secure in every regard.

Well, I have to disagree. I went to iCloud.com and hit Find my iPhone and in less than 30 seconds it located me at my home almost exactly where I was inside. The thief would have to turn it off to prevent it from being tracked.
I don't know why you people keep insisting that "Apple can do no wrong". Everything has flaws: if it has flaws, admit, and provides promise to fix said flaw. That's how it is supposed to work. Getting mighty tired of Apple fans doing the "nah nah it is not a bug it's a feature" charade over very single fucking flaw, and blaming the users for its faults.
I've never said Apple doesn't have any flaws. This just isn't a problem. The only real scenario is theft, which isn't a scenario because the person isn't going to screw with your calendar, rather sell it. (And turn it off initially, if they're half smart.) And as I said above, no one would load confidential information onto an iPhone and not make sure it was secure.
Anyway, adding to this thread:

I've played with the iPhone4S. It feels nice, plays nice, also works fine. It gets boring real quickly though without downloading applications to it, and I don't usually do much apps on my phones. I am sure the phone will get awesome if you have much more apps on it, much like the desktop OSes. Since my philosophy to never let a phone without Flash be my primary phone, I'll sit on the sideline for now. Now, if you say anything about HTML5, I assure you I'll drop this silly thing if every site I visit uses HTML5, which is now happening now.

//edit: Also, it looks awesome. :D Seal of approval from me.
Mmm, indeed. I've got my standard set of apps and a fair few games, like Infinity Blade. I'm really looking forward to Infinity Blade 2, insane graphics...
Someone needs to ask her to sing a song, and ask her for cake.
I don't know if anyone's asked her that (and recorded it) but someone's asked if she's bulletproof... and tested it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B489u_1ZBIA

Duwenbasden

Reaction score
>Well, I have to disagree. I went to iCloud.com and hit Find my iPhone and in less than 30 seconds it located
>me at my home almost exactly where I was inside. The thief would have to turn it off to prevent it from being >tracked.

Turn off Wifi. My Axim (2005) can track me with Wifi too, and it doesn't even have GPS. Without Wifi, it is over: GPS takes time and air; cell triangulation is useless at tracking anything.

>You don't use a phone, load confidential lists of trade secrets, and then not make sure the phone is secure
>in every regard.

You don't work at a phone store do you. I've seen enough secretary Blackberries to make that statement. "I got this phone, how do I use it?"

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
really, it should always be secure by default, and only the people who don't care about their contacts being spammed or who have no life worth messing with can turn it on

personally I want a second lock screen on my contacts list/call/text/buy features, since I let people use my phone for other stuff (things that I don't care about like games/web browsing), but I think I might have to create that one myself

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
>Well, I have to disagree. I went to iCloud.com and hit Find my iPhone and in less than 30 seconds it located
>me at my home almost exactly where I was inside. The thief would have to turn it off to prevent it from being >tracked.

Turn off Wifi. My Axim (2005) can track me with Wifi too, and it doesn't even have GPS. Without Wifi, it is over: GPS takes time and air; cell triangulation is useless at tracking anything.
You make a good point. I don't have a cellular connection on my iPhone yet, I still haven't been switched over from my old phone. I'll test this when it is.
>You don't use a phone, load confidential lists of trade secrets, and then not make sure the phone is secure
>in every regard.

You don't work at a phone store do you. I've seen enough secretary Blackberries to make that statement. "I got this phone, how do I use it?"
Eh? No, I don't. Surely they would quickly figure out that you can access that information from the lock screen though? Perhaps Apple will "adjust" this so it's disabled by default, I'm leaving it enabled personally, though.

@Slapshot,

I don't know about viewing contacts list, etc., but check out the restrictions. You can restrict purchases, deleting and installing apps, changes to mail, Siri, etc.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
selfdestruct.gif

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 4S battery life problems: bug in location services suspected.

A flaw in Apple's location services system in its new iOS 5 software is increasingly suspected of being the cause of rapid battery drain for some owners of the iPhone 4S.

A growing number of people have found that the "Setting Time Zone" element of the Systems Services within the broader Location Services product seems to be operating even when there is no chance that the user would have moved to a different location or time zone. An icon beside the setting, which indicates whether it has been used in the past 24 hours, suggests that it is running repeatedly to access the phone's location even when there is no apparent reason to do so.

Location services can prompt large drains on any smartphone's battery: they use a combination of the Wi-Fi network name, where available, plus mobile mast data and GPS sensor input, to calculate the phone's position. The mobile mast data, for example, is usually calculated by comparing the strength of signals from the three nearest phone masts and triangulating against them. However if such a calculation is made too often, by polling the masts, it will begin to use battery power unnecessarily.

On iDownload, Oliver Haslam suggests: "it appears that iOS 5′s GM release introduced a bug that causes the Setting Time Zone function to keep the location tracking circuitry running constantly, draining battery power considerably. Switching it off may mean that your iPhone will no longer set its own time zone when you travel, but that's a small price to pay for having your iPhone last more than 12 hours on a full charge… We have tested this method on 4 different iPhone 4s handsets, including an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 3GS. All have reported drastically improved battery life after switching 'Setting Time Zone' off."

Read more here.

Has it happened to you with your iPhone 4S?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I've not noticed anything, although I've heard of this. I've run my own battery test by playing Infinity Blade with max brightness and all settings such as iCloud, Notifications, and so on, turned on, with exception to Fetch which is on manual. (Which is the default setting for it, anyway.)

I ended up with 19% usage (EDIT: used) after 42 minutes which is pretty good. That means I'll get about three and a half hours of gaming out of it. I'm going to run the same test but with the Time Zone Setting turned off.

My 4S's SIM hasn't been activated yet so I have no service. I don't know much about this stuff but would that prevent the iPhone from polling the masts? I would assume so. If that is the case, I might not be experiencing the full extent of having the Time Zone Setting enabled.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 4S: Apple's Greatest Ripoff (Sort of...)

It might have underwhelmed the devotees, but sales of Apple’s iPhone 4S topped four million in just three days following last month’s launch, and it’s still the must-have smartphone this winter. Of course, those sleek looks don’t come cheap. Or do they..?

Out of contract, the iPhone 4S will cost you £499, but we can reveal that the nuts, bolts and high-end circuitry inside cost far less – see below for the total.

Expert analysts from technology firm iSuppli have prised open the pristine casing and totted up the cost of each component.

Some are reassuringly expensive – the touchscreen and display unit cost £23 – but others are less confidence-inspiring.

Next time you’re cursing the battery life, remember it’s only worth £3.68

Read more here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.