Iphone 5 gmailing attachments

viana

Reaction score
Dear folks

I wanted to know if this is unusual or not

When I email anyone (also did test email to self) with an attachment, then in the TRASH
I see :
(unknown sender) *
Attachment

(Where * is the time of sending)

Next. When I click on such a trash item (which I incidentally did not put there) I see:

unknown
to
* minutes ago

(Where * is how many minutes ago I sent it)

My concern is:
Why would this need to happen from a technical gmail when any sent mail goes into the Sent mail folder anyway ?

Is it being sent "elsewhere"? Yikes.

Also why does it say unknown sender - if that's me?

I don't see the point in all this rigmarole and wondering if there is a clear technical reason or if it is a bit dodgy.

P.S I was not using the gmail app I am using internet on iPhone

Merry Xmas and
Many thanks

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Dear folks

I wanted to know if this is unusual or not

When I email anyone (also did test email to self) with an attachment, then in the TRASH
I see :
(unknown sender) *
Attachment

(Where * is the time of sending)

Next. When I click on such a trash item (which I incidentally did not put there) I see:

unknown
to
* minutes ago

(Where * is how many minutes ago I sent it)

My concern is:
Why would this need to happen from a technical gmail when any sent mail goes into the Sent mail folder anyway ?

Is it being sent "elsewhere"? Yikes.

Also why does it say unknown sender - if that's me?

I don't see the point in all this rigmarole and wondering if there is a clear technical reason or if it is a bit dodgy.

P.S I was not using the gmail app I am using internet on iPhone

Merry Xmas and
Many thanks

When you upload a file to Gmail as an attachment, Gmail creates a temporary file to hold the data. Once the upload is complete, Gmail then encodes the data, and transfers the encoded data to the message you are composing. The temporary file is then sent to Trash. These files are usually invisible, but for some reason you are able to see them on your phone.

So as your outgoing mail is appearing correctly in Sent Mail, then your completed messages are being sent normally. And unless you receive delivery failure messages, then they are being correctly handed off by Gmail to the recipients' incoming mail servers. So if your clients aren't receiving them, that is something they need to address at their end.

taken from https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/Tly7Wd959-8

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.