US News IRS warns taxpayers about new $600 threshold for third-party payment reporting

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The IRS on Tuesday shared tips for the upcoming tax season — including a reminder about the new $600 threshold for receiving Form 1099-K for third-party payments.

The change applies to payments from third-party networks, such as Venmo or PayPal, for transactions such as part-time work, side jobs or selling goods, according to the IRS.

Before 2022, the federal Form 1099-K reporting threshold was for taxpayers with more than 200 transactions worth an aggregate above $20,000. However, Congress slashed the limit as part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, and a single transaction over $600 may now trigger the form.

Aimed at closing the tax gap — a top priority of the Biden administration — the provision is estimated to bring in $8.4 billion from fiscal year 2021 to 2031, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.

“It’s going to be a new form for a lot of people,” said Adam Markowitz, an enrolled agent and vice president at Howard L Markowitz PA, CPA in Windermere, Florida. “And the worst thing they can do is ignore it.”

Companies file Form 1099-K, known as an “information return,” annually to report credit card and third-party payments, with a copy going to taxpayers and the IRS.

Tommy Lucas, a certified financial planner and enrolled agent at Moisand Fitzgerald Tamayo in Orlando, Florida, said the business income on your return must include what’s reported on Form 1099-K. Otherwise, you may trigger an automatic IRS notice or even an audit, he said.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
My roommate sends me his part of the rent using Zelle. I hope this does not get me in trouble. This article makes me not want to use those services like I am doing something wrong and that is not good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.