Is there a downside to inlining conditions?

afisakov

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have seen some maps that write functions in this form
Code:
function Trig_kongzhi_Func005C takes nothing returns boolean
if(not(GetUnitTypeId(GetTriggerUnit())=='ndqp'))then
        return false
    endif
    return true
endfunction

function Trig_kongzhi_Func006C takes nothing returns boolean
if(not(GetUnitTypeId(GetTriggerUnit())=='ndqs'))then
        return false
    endif
    return true
endfunction

function Trig_kongzhi takes nothing returns nothing
if Trig_kongzhi_Func005C() then
do something
endif
if Trig_kongzhi_Func006C() then
do something else
endif
I am tempted to write it like this instead
Code:
function Trig_kongzhi takes nothing returns nothing
if (GetUnitTypeId(GetTriggerUnit())=='ndqp')then
do something
endif
if (GetUnitTypeId(GetTriggerUnit())=='ndqs') then
do something else
endif
I have no doubt that the second approach saves space, but I am wondering if it somehow slows down the execution. Otherwise I don't know why the first would be used except that is how game translates it from GUI.
Are there any advantages to the first approach or should I switch to the second (conditions written inside the function that uses them)?

cyb3rhack-r

Reaction score
The former executes faster than the latter because it doesn't call other functions. The former wasn't through Jass. It was preset upon converting GUI into custom text.

afisakov

Reaction score
The former executes faster than the latter because it doesn't call other functions
Wait, I thought the former means the first, and it does call on the other (boolean) functions? Or is that not what u meant by calling other functions.

Do you mean that the longer way of writing it executes faster? The one made from gui conversion?

dracolich

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
its not a "some map", its GUI version of jass.
everytime you start to GUI something with conditions, theyre will be exported like those functions.
of course, in-lining is faster, cause function call still takes some time

afisakov

Reaction score
its not a "some map", its GUI version of jass.
everytime you start to GUI something with conditions, theyre will be exported like those functions.
of course, in-lining is faster, cause function call still takes some time
ok, good, so the shorter way of writing it also works faster, that makes my life much easier.
also results in code that is easier to read :)

dracolich

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
well, in-lining not so useful for one-time called function, cause its still only 1 another function call.
but yeah, inlined code easier to read

afisakov

Reaction score
well, in-lining not so useful for one-time called function, cause its still only 1 another function call.
but yeah, inlined code easier to read
thanks. Even if speed difference is minor, it takes less space and is easier to read, so as long as it isn't slower it seems a much better choice.

The reason I was asking is I open alot of unprotected maps (and some protected ones) to learn from them, and I was wondering if there was a reason they wrote the code that way. Now I know it was just an artifact from using gui and I can safely change it.

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The advantage of writing a separate boolean function can be for reuse and recycling. The compiler will not duplicate code if there is a boolean function, thus the map will load faster. It does slow down the execution, but the difference is so negligible that it doesn't matter.

If later, your boolean logic needed to change, you could simply edit the function. It's also a stylistic or organizational choice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.