Isalnd Defense Coming to SCII

gMThunder

Reaction score
Hey all, so I decided that an Island Defense game needed to be brought over to scII. Same idea, but new races, and new bases, and of course, new titans.

I am a very good terrainer in WE, but not in Galaxy as I have not had much chance to use it. If anyone would like to do the terrain, I would be very grateful. This is a big job and may require a few terrainers. If you are interested post or pm me. Thanks for your time.

Dyslexia://

Reaction score
Hey all, so I decided that an Island Defense game needed to be brought over to scII. Same idea, but new races, and new bases, and of course, new titans.

I am a very good terrainer in WE, but not in Galaxy as I have not had much chance to use it. If anyone would like to do the terrain, I would be very grateful. This is a big job and may require a few terrainers. If you are interested post or pm me. Thanks for your time.

More of a question really...
Why make a rehash of a Warcraft 3 game which the original author is already making in SC2, instead of coming up with a freakin' new cool idea for a game?

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I'm half way through remaking the original vampirism to be honest it's much harder on SC2 than it is on WC3

I'm looking into making a WC3 mod so that it will enable us to remake the mini-games people want to play again.

The 3 big problems so far.

Heros - There is currently no real way to recreate them like they are in WC3 easily or that work in the same way.

Models - Need to reskin and import alot of them

Fixed teams - I still have no idea how to do this tis annoying as it's looking like we will have to code in a pick and choose method in the game itself.

gMThunder

Reaction score
yeah world editor is way easier. When did the original author say he was making it for SCII? I hadn't seen it. Plus I already have 3 tds waiting to be published that are all new, cool ideas. Ask the beta testers. And three, I like an idea of island defense better than the actual same identical island defense that original author is probably going to make. You got any clever ideas Dyslexia? IF so, let me know and I'll make them into a game. I got more ideas too but none that are worth pursuing at this very moment

gMThunder

Reaction score
I'm half way through remaking the original vampirism to be honest it's much harder on SC2 than it is on WC3

I'm looking into making a WC3 mod so that it will enable us to remake the mini-games people want to play again.

The 3 big problems so far.

Heros - There is currently no real way to recreate them like they are in WC3 easily or that work in the same way.

Models - Need to reskin and import alot of them

Fixed teams - I still have no idea how to do this tis annoying as it's looking like we will have to code in a pick and choose method in the game itself.

Yeah, honestly galaxy is a piece of shit compared to world editor. Idk what blizzard does or who gets paid to design this shit, but its awful. I could design a better layout than them in 10 mins.

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I dunno I actually have grown to like the galaxy editor however it does need time for you to do so.

They can improve it but i doubt blizzard will

screenshot20100810at140.png

If you haven't already toogle the first button on the data editor it can be very useful and most of the time it comes as default off so it all looks more complex than it should be :nuts:

gMThunder

Reaction score
I dunno I actually have grown to like the galaxy editor however it does need time for you to do so.

They can improve it but i doubt blizzard will

screenshot20100810at140.png

If you haven't already toogle the first button on the data editor it can be very useful and most of the time it comes as default off so it all looks more complex than it should be :nuts:

Yeah I already have used the data editor numerous times. doesn't mean it isn't a piece of shit. lol. Blizzard always half asses and ruins some art of their games. For scII, its the editor, hands down

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I was about to post a reply completely agreeing with you then I saw this.

It seems the editor has potential for so much more than we can realise.

I think they just need to teach us how to use it.

gMThunder

Reaction score
I was about to post a reply completely agreeing with you then I saw this.

It seems the editor has potential for so much more than we can realise.

I think they just need to teach us how to use it.

yeah. I know most of how to do everything, but its the fact that its a pain in the ass, where it could be so much simpler. Only blizzard is a bunch of overpaid people that dont have any common sense or sense of design or simplicity

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly galaxy is a piece of shit compared to world editor. Idk what blizzard does or who gets paid to design this shit, but its awful. I could design a better layout than them in 10 mins.

yeah. I know most of how to do everything, but its the fact that its a pain in the ass, where it could be so much simpler. Only blizzard is a bunch of overpaid people that dont have any common sense or sense of design or simplicity

Well in that case I can see three viable options:
1. Shut up and stop whining. You're getting the editor as well as the game(which I personally think is awesome) In the end of the beta, it was practically open for all. You could've noticed the fact that you didn't like the editor then.

2. Go back to the world editor, there'll probably be some people left in the wc3 mapping community, just as there will be people left in the broodwar community. Still, I find it hard to believe that you could design a better layout in 10 minutes that could accomplish the same things. I don't think you could do it in a week.

3. Code it yourself. If Blizzard is only a "bunch of overpaid people" and you apparently have more common sense and sense of design and simplicity you should be able to come up with something quite amazing.

Still, in the end, everyone complaining about the editor being hard to learn(especially the data editor) I agree with, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing. While we weren't exactly spoon fed with the WE, I still wont give up just because the SC2 editor is harder.

gMThunder

Reaction score
Well in that case I can see three viable options:
1. Shut up and stop whining. You're getting the editor as well as the game(which I personally think is awesome) In the end of the beta, it was practically open for all. You could've noticed the fact that you didn't like the editor then.

2. Go back to the world editor, there'll probably be some people left in the wc3 mapping community, just as there will be people left in the broodwar community. Still, I find it hard to believe that you could design a better layout in 10 minutes that could accomplish the same things. I don't think you could do it in a week.

3. Code it yourself. If Blizzard is only a "bunch of overpaid people" and you apparently have more common sense and sense of design and simplicity you should be able to come up with something quite amazing.

Still, in the end, everyone complaining about the editor being hard to learn(especially the data editor) I agree with, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing. While we weren't exactly spoon fed with the WE, I still wont give up just because the SC2 editor is harder.

To answer all of these, I am not whining, just stating my opinion, 2. I just finished a new program that will allow me to do what I want and import it into scII, and yeah harder is dumber. I mean yeah I know how to use it all, but the fact is, for new people wanting to make their own maps, its hard for them. They cant create the vision they had. This is not just for me, but for other people out there. I didn't give up as I have made 3 td's already, but I feel the SCII community should be aware galaxy is a POS and should find other means for mapping. So I hope I answered you. Please stop spamming my post now. KTHX

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
To answer all of these, I am not whining, just stating my opinion, 2. I just finished a new program that will allow me to do what I want and import it into scII, and yeah harder is dumber. I mean yeah I know how to use it all, but the fact is, for new people wanting to make their own maps, its hard for them. They cant create the vision they had. This is not just for me, but for other people out there. I didn't give up as I have made 3 td's already, but I feel the SCII community should be aware galaxy is a POS and should find other means for mapping. So I hope I answered you. Please stop spamming my post now. KTHX

First of all, if you think harder things are dumber, you should skip Starcraft 2 entirely and go play pacman. I'm sure it isn't as hard. It's hard and more complicated to assist in making more complicated stuff than what was previously possible in the WE.

Raising the skill cap might just increase the percentage of the maps that are good quality. Even if that results in a fewer amount of total maps, I still think it's good. If people don't have enough dedication to learn it enough to create the vision they had(it can't be that hard if you've already learnt it?)

I'd also recommend you invest less time in the editor. Apparently you've already finished 3 td's, you've created a program to help you in your map making and you're thinking of recreating Island defense for SC2(Which is quite a big project) All this, you've done in a "shitty" editor in less than a month(maybe a little more if you used the beta time as well)

Still, if you want the community to find other means for mapping, why haven't you done so yourself?

Finally, I want to say that I don't understand how you can refer to my single post(now two) as spam. Basically half of the thread has been about the editor and how it's complicated. You stated your opinion, I wrote my post because I got another opinion.

I also referred to what you wrote about the editor as whining because:
"Whining - To complain or protest in a childish fashion."

You were obviously complaining about the editor and I thought you did so in a childish fashion. Why childish? "lol. Blizzard always half asses and ruins some art of their games", "galaxy is a piece of shit".

Now, this is quite off-topic. Therefore, I wont reply to this thread again, at least not about this subject. If I do, it'll be related to Island Defense. If you still disagree, feel free to continue the discussion through PM or just write on my wall. If not, well, I can't force you ;)

Good night,
Siretu :)

gMThunder

Reaction score
First of all, if you think harder things are dumber, you should skip Starcraft 2 entirely and go play pacman. I'm sure it isn't as hard. It's hard and more complicated to assist in making more complicated stuff than what was previously possible in the WE.

Raising the skill cap might just increase the percentage of the maps that are good quality. Even if that results in a fewer amount of total maps, I still think it's good. If people don't have enough dedication to learn it enough to create the vision they had(it can't be that hard if you've already learnt it?)

I'd also recommend you invest less time in the editor. Apparently you've already finished 3 td's, you've created a program to help you in your map making and you're thinking of recreating Island defense for SC2(Which is quite a big project) All this, you've done in a "shitty" editor in less than a month(maybe a little more if you used the beta time as well)

Still, if you want the community to find other means for mapping, why haven't you done so yourself?

Finally, I want to say that I don't understand how you can refer to my single post(now two) as spam. Basically half of the thread has been about the editor and how it's complicated. You stated your opinion, I wrote my post because I got another opinion.

I also referred to what you wrote about the editor as whining because:
"Whining - To complain or protest in a childish fashion."

You were obviously complaining about the editor and I thought you did so in a childish fashion. Why childish? "lol. Blizzard always half asses and ruins some art of their games", "galaxy is a piece of shit".

Now, this is quite off-topic. Therefore, I wont reply to this thread again, at least not about this subject. If I do, it'll be related to Island Defense. If you still disagree, feel free to continue the discussion through PM or just write on my wall. If not, well, I can't force you ;)

Good night,
Siretu :)

well I haven't started ID yet, and have already beat the campaign, and am playing ladder in SC2, so obviously I can do both. I am probably better than 3/4 of the people on SCII in terms of ladder or 1v1, 2v2, etc. Also I did find a new means for mapping. I wouldnt say calling the editor shitty as complaining. Childish is much different. Harder doesnt always mean dumber, but in the terms I was referring it to, which is the editor, then it would be correct. Complication creates more complication. Especially for new mapmakers. Hopefully you read this post as you are unaware of the terms/feelings of the editor. Im off to go jetskiing but feel free to pm me or I guess since this post is pointless, this post. No offense but I am probably better at SCII than you, so difficulty is no problem for me. 3 td's are easy to make and ID is a medium project, not big. Can be done in 2-3 days as most projects can be if you know what you are doing. The reason I made 3 td's were for 1. Tutorial, 2. Great TD that it original and waiting to be published, and 3. 1 for a friend to play until i release my Great TD. That will be all

edit: the spamming wasn't only directed towards you. Towards all people. lol. Just to clear that up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.