World Israel plans laser interceptor 'Iron Beam' for short-range rockets

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel plans to deploy a new missile shield known as "Iron Beam" next year which would use a laser to blow up short-range rockets and mortar bombs, a defense industry official said on Sunday.

The system is designed to deal with threats that fly on too small a trajectory to be engaged efficiently by Iron Dome, the Israeli interceptor credited with an 80 percent success rate against rockets fired by Palestinian militants.

Both shields are manufactured by state-owned Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd. While Iron Dome launches radar-guided interceptor rockets, Iron Beam's laser will super-heat the warheads of shells with ranges of up to 7 km (4.5 miles).

Rafael said Iron Dome would be formally unveiled at next month's Singapore Air Show. The Israeli military declined to discuss deployment plans.

-----------------------
Lasers!!!

Last edited:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Lasers!!!

That's pretty much what goes through my head when I see something like this, too. How long have we been waiting for laser weaponry to become mainstream? Always cool to see something like this.

Reaction score
Laser weaponry... That means needs high output, stable and small power cells, it will far more expensive than regular gun with their bullets... Why did waste more moneys on weapons, while we could give a charity to people who really need the most...?

Edit: I really like lasers by the way, I also waiting for lasers weaponry like in the Star Wars/Startrek...:D

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Are Star Wars-style lasers possible to create? The ones that have a beginning and end point that both travel through space at the same rate? I'd love to see some shit like that.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Laser weaponry... That means needs high output, stable and small power cells, it will far more expensive than regular gun with their bullets... Why did waste more moneys on weapons, while we could give a charity to people who really need the most...?
Giving money to the poor is a waste. They will die anyway. But high-tech weaponry of this caliber will lead the way to new inventions in the future.

Are Star Wars-style lasers possible to create? The ones that have a beginning and end point that both travel through space at the same rate? I'd love to see some shit like that.
Its probably possible but not worth the time and money spent to create it.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score

There were those articles where they slowed down light. I'm sure lightsabers would be one of the first applications of that.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
They are using the laser technology they use for targetting it now and adapting it to high energy beams for blasting missles out of the sky with laser pin point accuracy.

Hell to the yeah welcome to the Future Bitches!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
They tried that, and all we got was you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.