US News It’s Official: Mormon Founder Had Up to 40 Wives

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Mormon leaders have acknowledged for the first time that the church’s founder and prophet, Joseph Smith, portrayed in church materials as a loyal partner to his loving spouse Emma, took as many as 40 wives, some already married and one only 14 years old.

The church’s disclosures, in a series of essays online, are part of an effort to be transparent about its history at a time when church members are increasingly encountering disturbing claims about the faith on the Internet. Many Mormons, especially those with polygamous ancestors, say they were well aware that Smith’s successor, Brigham Young, practiced polygamy when he led the flock in Salt Lake City. But they did not know the full truth about Smith.

“Joseph Smith was presented to me as a practically perfect prophet, and this is true for a lot of people,” said Emily Jensen, a blogger and editor in Farmington, Utah, who often writes about Mormon issues.

She said the reaction of some Mormons to the church’s disclosures resembled the five stages of grief in which the first stage is denial, and the second is anger. Members are saying on blogs and social media, “This is not the church I grew up with, this is not the Joseph Smith I love,” Ms. Jensen said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
That's a neat thing they're doing. It is, for the most part, a very transparent church - I mean as far as churches go. I'm failing to see the issue with this in particular though, when I was active I recall being told he probably married multiple women. I've never actually seen the problem with polygamy though - I don't get why people get so angry about the concept.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, must be horrible to listen to 40 bitches be bitchen around bout bitch stuff and stuff.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Meh, there's bound to be one DTF when they get too bitchy. Just gotta go find one.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You think the 39 others stop bitchin just cause you busy with one of em?

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
(Other) abrahamic prophets also had many wives... I think the LDS members are fine people, and as long as the wives were not unhappy who are we to judge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.