Tutorial Items System

D

DemonOfNight

---Item System---

Some of you think you can do everything with items because you know how to make an item... False you have to be addicted to understand what en item is, like me. Most of my projects were made with items, i really like to make items!! There are some basics you have to learn and they are easy to understand. This tutorial start from how to make an ability to how to combine items. This tutorial have all the explanations you need and will be really easy to understand. Now, before editing my post, there will be no screenshots cause my WE doesnt work at my father house.

Part 1
I-Introduction to items
II-How to make different items
III-How to make balanced items

Part 2
IV-Upgrading items
V-Guns and long range items
VI-Destructor items

Part 3
VII-Introduce triggers to items
VIII-Recipes and combining items
IX-Conclusion
X-Maps and credits

I-Introdution:

Items are made to make game easier. They are used to do many things, like making your hero overpowered or just a little more stronger than without items. You might not use items in your game to make people Rigged, Or, if you do, make the item cost really high!!! You have to take precautions cause if your items are unbalanced, the players might not like that. As an example:
HTML:
Item 1: Thuggish Axe
Cost:
400 Gold

Abilities:
Add 20 Damage to normal attack
Add 10 Strenght to normal strenght
Give a bonus of 5 armor

Item 2: Thuggish Sword
Cost:
450 Gold

Abilities:
Add 40 Damage to normal attack
Add 20 Agility to normal agility
Make the owner attack 25% faster

You see, the items are unbalanced and players think they can have more life so they can own more without a death BUT if your hero have like 10% more life and your ennemy attack 25% faster than the normal attack, he will do ¼ more damage then his previous damage in the same ammount of time. Be Alert!! Items are powerful things... Items are also used to make an unit have more life. If you have to change the ammount of life of an unit, do it with precautions because, like i said before, unbalanced things are not that good to players eyes!!!

II-How to make different items:

I know that other helpers answered this question: (where do i go to make items). So i will not enter in those easy thing and dirrectly go to : how to make items with normal abilities and with other things. Let make a detailed table of contents on how the things will go!

Making a sword.............................................................1
Making a nice potion.................................................................2

After that, you will know the basics

1:
Making a sword is really easy, you only have to make some abilities.

First of all, make a new custom ability named Attack + 20, based on «item, damage bonus (+10)».
Second, you can edit it. Change the (Info - Attack Bonus: (change the +10 to +20)).
Third, if you want, you can change the icon (based on claws of attack) to another icon. You can let it like that because it dont show it in game!
Fourth, you make a new custom item based on Kelen Dagger (the item i always use to make other items)
Fifth, Change the ability of the item (remove the teleportation ability) and make it have your new ability (Attack +20).
the step 6 is really important because this the whole item editing part.
1-You can only change the tint of the model (witch will be a gold chest) to make it blue, red or green (see how to make other colors in solors tutorials).
2-You can change the icon of the item, like if we want to make a sword, let make it have the iron sword icon or burning blade or any other sword icons.
3-You can change the model but 50% of the time, its a gold chest so you dont need to change it exept if you want tomes of power but you can choose the model of the item if you choose a tome of str, agi or int at the start (the custom item we choosed)
4-You must change the price. A normal item at the start of a game must cost something like 400 gold and no wood. But for our sword, we will set the price to 1000. All those things are calculated with the bounty/income/net worth in the game.
5-You also have to change the name of your item. Some time, you can see that some persons let it (Attack +20) but, us, we will change it to «Iron Sword», a nice and simple name!
6-The last thing you have to edit is the description of your item to make players be able to know what will happen when they will equip your item. A good description need color codes to be clear and understandable! Take a look at mine, i always use thos kind of descriptions:

Code:
My Own Weapon Description Exemple:

[COLOR="Green"]Thuggish Sword Attributes:[/COLOR]

Add +20 [COLOR="darkorange"]damage[/COLOR] to the owner of this item
Sell Value: [COLOR="darkorange"]200 Gold[/COLOR]
Upgrades: [COLOR="darkorange"]Thuggish Axe[/COLOR]
Upgrade cost: [COLOR="darkorange"]450 Gold[/COLOR]

This is a good description of the item.

2:

Making a potion is really easy to do and you cant really add things. You can have like 1000 kind of diferent potions. I will directly go on: how to make complex potions. I will not talk about healing potions cause there is no point on doing that cause everyone know how to make them!!! I will make 1 exemple, it will be my favorite potion. The Critical strike potion. Yeah, it require to use triggers but it is really nice when youve finish it!!!

This is the trigger:
Code:
Critical strike
    Events
        Unit - A unit Use an object
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Hero[1] = Hero manipulating item
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to_Potion
            Then - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Random integer number between 1 and 2) Equal to_1
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Owner of (Hero manipulating item))) and do (Actions)
                            Loop - Actions
                                Unit - Add Critical Strike(Neutral hostile) to (Picked unit)
                        Game - Display to (Player group((Owner of (Hero manipulating item)))) the text: You learned Critical Strike, you will loose it when you will die!!!
                    Else - Actions
                        Game - Display to (Player group((Owner of (Hero manipulating item)))) the text: No Ability for you!...
            Else - Actions

Now, the trigger to loose it!:
Code:
Loose Crit
    Events
        Unit - A unit Die
    Conditions
        (Triggering unit) Equal to_Hero[1]
    Actions
        Unit - Remove Critical Strike(Neutral hostile) from (Triggering unit)

Its not that hard!

III-How to make balanced items:

Balancing items is really important, like i said in the itntroduction, player dont like unbalanced items cause its really annoying to play with someone stronger then you because he played this map tons of time and know that a item is 2 times most powerful then the other one and that they are at the same cost.
In this part of my tutorial, i will show you 2 methods on how to make balanced items. My first method is really easy to understand. My second is very effective!!!

1:

With this method, you need to be organizated. You will have to find a calculator, a loose sheet of paper and a pencil to write on the sheet. It will need to calculate things and to be ready to think about what you are going to do! Follow my leads!!!

First step, you have to do a board on your paper where you will have to inscribe datas from your items. Make a board like this one:
boardfb9.jpg

After you've done your board, inscribe your first item data in the first column. First row will be for the name of the item, second for the cost, third for the ability and fourth, for the upgrade cost.
board2ul5.jpg

After that, directly go to the last row. We will make a random column where we will enter the data of an item of 50 gold (400 divide by 8 = 50 gold). we will make that for everything, damage (20 divided by 8 give 2.5 but we will make it 3) and upgrade cost (800 divided by 8 gives 100 gold).
board3ba3.jpg

Now that e've done this, we can go and make a balanced version of our Thuggish Axe!!! The axe were 450gold no? well, we will Multiply the random ability by 9 to give us the Thuggish Axe. Gold cost (50 X 9 = 450), Ability data (3 X 9 = 27) and upgrade cost (100 X 9 = 900).
board4oo0.jpg

Now, we have the Thuggish axe (balanced version 1)

2:
You seen that in my first method, when it was the time to find what will be the datas of the abilities of the Thuggish Axe, we multiply 3 by 9. Do you remember that the number it gave for our random item was 2.5 and after we made it 3??? Well, my second method is to avoid this. It make 27, but it should be 23, eh? its because 9 X 0.5 gives 4.5. 2.5 + 4.5 gives 7 and this is why we have 27.

This time, we will make 20 + the random ability. So, The cost (400 + 50 = 450), the ability data (20 + 3 = 23) and the upgrade cost (800 + 100 = 900)
board5mu2.jpg

Can you see how it changes?

IV-Upgrading items:

This part require a base in triggering. You must know the basics of triggering to contunue the tutorial. This part is an (start to be hard) thing to learn, can you understand it? Lets start with the items. Lets take our previous items: Thuggish Sword and Thuggish Axe. Its the same as the previous boards we made. Make the upgrade of Thuggish Sword (Thuggish Axe) cost this: (Thuggish Sword cost) + (Random Item cost). Witch will equal to 450.

In the description of your item, introduce this : -upgrade cost: 450. Make it so the description look like that:

Code:
[COLOR="Green"]Thuggish Sword Attributes:[/COLOR]

Add +20 [COLOR="darkorange"]damage[/COLOR] to the owner of this item
Sell Value: [COLOR="darkorange"]200 Gold[/COLOR]
Upgrades: [COLOR="darkorange"]Thuggish Axe[/COLOR]
Upgrade cost: [COLOR="darkorange"]450 Gold[/COLOR]

For the Thuggish Axe, its really easy to do, just set the price to 0, exept if you make it buyable in another shop. Now, make another items that does nothing with a name like, (Upgrading) and a description like, (Wait 10 seconds).

Now, lets start triggering, first, we introduce the event. It will be, (a unit uses an item)

trigger1sc5.png

After, we have to make a If/Then/Else to make our item be upgradeable. So just make this action and follow what i say. If you dont know how to do it, just take a look at my pictures!

trigger2tg7.png

Now, lets introduce the condition, witch wil be, (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Thuggish Sword. Look:

trigger3zb6.png

After this, we will add the firest action, witch will remove the Thuggish Sword to give a Random item that upgrades it.

trigger4or5.png

Now, we will add the action that gives a new item.

trigger5uk6.png

Next step is to wait 10 seconds (or whatever time you want it to take to upgrade your item) and after, we will add the action that remove the random item.

trigger6pl8.png

After that, we have to add the item we want, the Thuggish Axe. And to have a little niceness, we will add a special effect and a text that tell us that we've upgraded the item!

trigger7bc6.png

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
There are already atleast 3 tutorials that are way more deatailed and complex. For both beginners and advanced users.

D

DemonOfNight

well, i know that but i wanted to make a tutorial about items and like e veryone say, if someone dont ujnderstand an helper tut, go see the tut of another helper. BTW, those are the basics and ddnt got the time to finish it!!! i would like from you guys to not judge things that are unfinished!!! just read my post and you will see the updates will be better!!!

D

DemonOfNight

I finished the first part. Soon, i will post the Part II. Stay here and leave some comments:D!!!

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You really don't need to explain how to make a specific item. That will take ages to go over every item you can imagine. I suggest that you go over the item fields, and ability options. That should cover a lot.

D

DemonOfNight

well, its already made so i will not cut what i did yet... its clear and understandable so i dont really have to change it (this is what i think)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.