Sci/Tech Japan hopes to turn sci-fi into reality with $9B space elevator

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
From cyborg housemaids and waterpowered cars to dog translators and rocket boots, Japanese boffins have racked up plenty of near-misses in the quest to turn science fiction into reality.

Now the finest scientific minds of Japan are devoting themselves to cracking the greatest sci-fi vision of all: the space elevator. Man has so far conquered space by painfully and inefficiently blasting himself out of the atmosphere but the 21st century should bring a more leisurely ride to the final frontier.

For chemists, physicists, material scientists, astronauts and dreamers across the globe, the space elevator represents the most tantalising of concepts: cables stronger and lighter than any fibre yet woven, tethered to the ground and disappearing beyond the atmosphere to a satellite docking station in geosynchronous orbit above Earth.

Up and down the 22,000 mile-long (36,000km) cables — or flat ribbons — will run the elevator carriages, themselves requiring huge breakthroughs in engineering to which the biggest Japanese companies and universities have turned their collective attention.

Last edited:

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
So I heard Japan was going for Space Race victory.

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
"Everything with the cables are working as planned sir, what do i do no- HOLY SHIT A METEOR JUST HIT THE CABLES!"

GG.

Attachments

• Meteor.jpg
    Meteor.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 249

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Yes, meteors, planes, terrorists can easily bring this down with ease.

However, if this is followed through, I give it 20 years to show up.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>Yes, meteors, planes, terrorists can easily bring this down with ease.

I don't understand the emphasis on easily, how often do meteors pass by? Obviously pilots would know about it and take detours to avoid collision, and as for terrorism, they don't just go around destroying random big things because they want to, they have reasons behind them. And of course they could put a huge amount of security around this thing.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
how often do meteors pass by?

Um, this goes to space, right? Higher up, there's more meteors that pass by, rather than burning up into the atmosphere. They pass by often, and would be a hindrance to the construction and completion of the elevator.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
They've been planning this for a while haven't they? I remember hearing something about it like five years ago.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Um, this goes to space, right? Higher up, there's more meteors that pass by, rather than burning up into the atmosphere. They pass by often, and would be a hindrance to the construction and completion of the elevator.
Well, the satellite to which the cables of the elevator are connected is going to be within the Earth's orbit, so it can't be too far out there.

There was a Discovery channel show which mentioned space elevators and the possibility of one. Someone had been working out the physics and all that, but he was American. :eek:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
So it's impossible because the ground shakes?

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
yes.

concrete, etc. has it limits...

look at tower of Pisa

do you want to have an space elevator like that?

in all seriously, it will not work.. think of casualties if it indeed fell.

Reaction score
You know somehow I think all those highly educated and intelligent engineers in Japan know a bit more about building space elevators than you do, demotry.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> concrete, etc. has it limits...

If I understood correctly how it would be done, I don't think it will be THAT heavy.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Besides, no one said it would be built in Japan.

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
Besides, no one said it would be built in Japan.

this is the answer I have been waiting for :D

a triangle beam structure is very tough. although

a building that will surpass the sky and the heavens. on a straight figure. would'nt.

Reasons:

There is lower Oxygen on higher altitudes. slower efficiency of workers, many workers would die due do dizziness and will fell to the earth.

a dynamic anti-earthquake based foundation can only support a limit depending on the strength of the shaking of the building... but if the building is 3000+ floors.. expect a huge shake strength that would break the anti-earthquake foundation.

Chinese will Recreate the Journey to the West Story.

if the tower is circular based (like coliseum) I'd approve that.

[EDIT] by the way when I meant Concrete has it limits.. I meant it would shatter because of shaking of the building(flexibility Integrity)
including strong winds.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Lol the last time someone tried this one we all ended up speaking different languages.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Lol the last time someone tried this one we all ended up speaking different languages.

ROFL! XD

I cracked up so much... LOL

Tower of Babel ftw.

---

Anyways, I doubt this will ever be constructed. I'd be surprised if someone began building it, but I can't say it's impossible to do. That's it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.