World Japanese city contractor worker loses USB containing personal details of every resident

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A city in Japan has been forced to apologise after a contractor admitted he had lost a USB memory stick containing the personal data of almost half a million residents after an alcohol-fuelled night out.

Officials in Amagasaki, western Japan, said the man – an unnamed employee of a private contractor hired to oversee Covid-19 relief payments to local households – had taken the flash drive from the city’s offices to transfer the data at a call centre in nearby Osaka.

After spending Tuesday evening drinking at a restaurant, he realised on his way home that the bag containing the drive was missing, along with the personal details of all 460,000 Amagasaki residents. He reported the loss to police the following morning.

The information included the residents’ names, addresses and dates of birth, as well as details of their residence tax payments and the bank account numbers of those receiving child benefits and other welfare payments, according to the Asahi Shimbun.

All of the information is encrypted and password protected, and there have been no reports of data leaks.

“We deeply regret that we have profoundly harmed the public’s trust in the administration of the city,” an Amagasaki official told reporters.

The city said in a statement that it would “ensure security management when handling electronic data. We will work to regain our residents’ trust by heightening awareness of the importance of protecting personal information.”

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I misplaced a USB memory dongle for one of the machines at an old job I had and it cost them like 500 bucks. I was pretty upset when I found the stupid thing in my dirty clothes hamper after I had sworn that I did not take it and did not lose it. It was not the personal information of all those people though, but the guy maybe should check his dirty clothes hamper....

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I misplaced a USB memory dongle for one of the machines at an old job I had and it cost them like 500 bucks. I was pretty upset when I found the stupid thing in my dirty clothes hamper after I had sworn that I did not take it and did not lose it. It was not the personal information of all those people though, but the guy maybe should check his dirty clothes hamper....
I bet you're going to take that with you to the grave.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
No I fessed up to it. I am not one to hide stuff like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.