Sci/Tech Japanese firm wants to transform the Moon into a giant solar power plant

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The Shimizu Corporation, a Japanese construction firm, has recently proposed a plan to harness solar energy on a larger scale than almost any previously proposed concept. Their ambitious plan involves building a belt of solar cells around the Moon’s 6,800-mile (11,000-kilometer) equator, converting the electricity to powerful microwaves and lasers to be beamed at Earth, and finally converting the beams back to electricity at terrestrial power stations. The Luna Ring concept, the company says, could meet the entire world's energy needs.

Shimizu envisions that robots would play a vital role in building the Luna Ring. Teleoperated 24 hours a day from the Earth, the robots would perform tasks such as ground leveling and assembling machines and equipment, which would be done in space before landing them on the Moon. A team of astronauts would support the robots on-site.

Due to the massive amount of solar panels and other materials needed for the project, Shimizu proposes that lunar resources should be used to the fullest extent possible. The company’s plans call for producing water by reducing lunar soil with hydrogen imported from Earth. Lunar resources could also be used to make cementing material and concrete, while solar-heat treatments could help produce bricks, glass fibers, and other structural materials needed for the project.

Last edited:

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
and it shall look like the Deathstar!

DeathStar_size_chart.png

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The fact that Japan won't allow this because all the other countries would get pretty pissed off for ruining the moon and the fact that this would probably cost trillions of dollars makes it so that this won't happen.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, let's get the money first.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Oh no the laser beam is moving uncontrollably. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
2 days later, 5,000,000,000 casualties, eighty percent of life on earth is dead.
There is a new hole that stretches pass the earth.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
Is this not a bit to much?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Then they take over the world because they have lazer beams aimed at earth.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
the fact that this would probably cost trillions of dollars makes it so that this won't happen.

Trillions of dollars for energy to supply the entire earth for many years to come sounds good to me. I mean, America spent like 800b to stabilize its own economy, if we combine the world's wealth towards the project then...

And to be honest, at least the moon would be useful to us then, at the moment it's just a lump of rock sitting in space.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
But then it would look so ugly. :(
Anyway, no one has enough rockets or fuel and the technology hasn't been invented yet for this, money won't help anyone if these thing just don't actually exist.

Also, why the moon? There are hundreds of thousands of kilometres of empty land left on earth.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Also, why the moon? There are hundreds of thousands of kilometres of empty land left on earth.

I think we have ruined the Earth enough already. So give wildlife the "wild" back and let's move to ruin the other planets (and moons) as well!:thup:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
And to be honest, at least the moon would be useful to us then, at the moment it's just a lump of rock sitting in space.

It actually somehow control the tides, and if they where to increase the weight of it by building things on it it could have horrible ramifications for our planet:thdown:

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
This sounds like a good idea, except it is nothing Japan should work at alone, the whole world should fund the project, and the whole world should be able to profit from it too.

(Then get those fusion reactors running, and start going into outer space!)

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
It actually somehow control the tides, and if they where to increase the weight of it by building things on it it could have horrible ramifications for our planet:thdown:

lol?

in order for it to change the properties of tide motion it would have to change in weight by X% ...

even if that was 1%.... with a weight of 81 billion tons?

so 1% of that is what? 810 million tons?

your mom = 1 ton... (see what i did thar?)

810 million tons would have to be on the moon to maybe change the tides?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
They can't do that, they don't own the moon.

*checks moon, finds flag* oh... USA... hurry up and build your deathstar

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

Poorly thought out, IMO.

Also, America got the motivation to get further to space by planting a flag on to the moon.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
I approve of this project because the Japanese have proven themselves capable of feats like this.
(Unlike some other countries >.>)

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I approve of this project because the Japanese have proven themselves capable of feats like this.
(Unlike some other countries >.>)

Lets compare technology...

USA

[YOUTUBE]W1czBcnX1Ww[/YOUTUBE]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.