JASS: GUI to JASS

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You misunderstand, unfortunately. Don't jump to conclusions, and I don't especially like your allusion. Kind of an odd way to thank someone :p Np though.

If my goal was to learn from that tutorial I would've written the spell myself, as I did like 6 months ago, so I could learn. Now, my goal was to make a knockback spell, and don't you think it is faster to copy-paste your code directly instead of writing an exact same code? I have my knockback spell now, and it works.

I am lazy, yes, but it proves nothing. I had nothing to learn.

;)

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
I wasn't refering to you. I know you know more than this tutorial actually covers. :)

~Daelin

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heh just so you know there is some odd bug in your OTHER tutorial : Advanced JASS Tips. As it included a knockback function too, I tested it !

My conclusion (Without changing anything) is that it bugs. The timer SEEMS to repeat endlessly, but I can't be 100% sure. What it does is simply knockback the unit infinitely, to the end of the map. It never stops until the unit reaches the end of the map. I didn't change anything in the trigger, only the *curses microsoft word* " errors :p

I also already had the handle vars function so it can't be the problem. Maybe it is my WE ? ;) Anyways, I copy-pasted it into JassCraft and it said everything was ok, including the 4 custom functions you made which are something like "GetAngleBetweenPoints" and stuff like that. The problem seems to be something else...

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Im a slow learner but once I get a grip I really catch on I catched on to locals and units leak in JASS (gasp!) cause you got to null the unit variable but you have to remove the unit first or something so hard to do a pick all units now.... Also how can you do a smooth slide knockback that is MUI if locals are only applied to one trig....

Please how can JASS make knockback more smooth? GUI can do it every 0.01 seconds moving 1 unit each time which is really smooth no?

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Oh...! How can others learn basic JASS like in a flash but I see it as complicated numbers, terms, and mixed words :confused:. Why did Blizzard make JASS that doesn't make sense to some? Oh well, better start learning before I get behind in mapping :(. Maybe older users understand this because of math and excessive study of JASS. The only code I pretty much know is:

Code:
function takes nothing returns nothing

or

Code:
end function

I don't know what "function takes nothing returns nothing" does but I know what "end fuction" does, since it's so obvious and is always at the end of a JASS trigger, or whatever.

I also got a question:

When classifying objects (Heroes, Items, Spells, ect.), it it always a 4 code you can make up (Excluding the: ' ') but has to be at the beginning like:

Code:
'A000'=Blades of Attack +3

Or do you have to have it's code name like Au or whatever?

EDIT:

When using the JASS Editor, which parts do you have to change. There's a Bold, Lightblue, Navy Blue, and regular texts. Which areas do I change or modify?

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
The JASS editor simply highlights your code in colors so that you can see it better. That's all. It does not compile the script or something.

No excessive use of JASS is necessary. This tutorial is obsolete in my opinion, and it needs great improvements. Anyway, let's avoid that and stick to solving your problems.

What a function does is either calculate something and return a result, or simply do a series of actions (without returning a value). This is determined by the "return something". If it returns nothing, it simply DOES something. Otherwise, it CALCULATES (since it returns a value or an object). As for the things after "takes", they are parameters. Functions generalize a problem. If you want for example to calculate the sum of two numbers and want a function to do it, the value returned will depend on those numbers. The function look like this:

Code:
function Sum takes integer a, integer b returns integer
    return a+b
endfuntion

Logical, right? Depending on the values of a and b, the function will return a different value.

As for the rawcode, it is in base 256, four digits code. Base 256 because of the ASCII. Normally, you will want to use alphanumeric characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9). 'A000' works, just like 'au09' does. You can't exactly control these unless you use a third party tool. The World Editor generates it for you, so you don't need to worry.

~Daelin

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I thought function can take one value and return one value :rolleyes: I still reading tutorial (Right now 11. chapter.). Now I know it isn' t true.
I have a question about the Null thing:
sometimes you do this
Code:
set udg_targ=null
and sometimes this
Code:
set t = null
are they the same? or they both work?
>udg_targ
udg is used for global variables (All GUI variables use globals.)
>set t = null
this "t" is local variable used in functions (JASS made "triggers".). Makes verything MUI :p
I read all it and feel like 10 times smarter.

Demi666

Reaction score
lal, readed this tut yesterday actully, didt comment since i was so tired.

this tut actully helps alot if ur used to use GUI and i give it a 9/10 (some stuff where a little unclear but if u thinked u could do it:p)

Reaction score
I'm quite sure that he doesn't see that comment of yours.. anymore :rolleyes:.

This was really good tutorial when I was reading JASS.. But I don't remember if I read the whole tutorial.. Cause it was easier to start making own codes.

Carl-Fredrik

Reaction score
Nice tutorial, +rep ! :)

I learned a lot... though it would be easier if English was my real language, so I didn't understand everything, but I hope it will come in time and I will of course read more tutorials (and probably I'll read some tutorials twice)!

Moon_Raven

Reaction score
Which JASS editor?

Could you tell me which JASS editor to download from hive because your link just directs me to hive's homepage

M

marcotjuhhhh

there is nothing you cant make in gui, trust me, you only need logic thinking, and maybe, costum script in gui. why dont you define jass codes at map initialization in gui.

anyways, Gui = jass langauge, but in form of images and shortend text.
for gui users: remember that you can convert a text to jass?
thats because its the same.

and for all the jass users: why wont you just use world editor, and then convert scripts to custom text, then you can do the same.

simply, if you arent using world editor for jass, if you ask me, its much better.
and there are serveral ways to protect your map against trigger stealers.
simply remove the .wtg file from your map,

for those who want to know why, you can pm me, but dont aspect a quick response

btw, good tut i guess :p

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
there is nothing you cant make in gui, trust me, you only need logic thinking, and maybe, costum script in gui. why dont you define jass codes at map initialization in gui.

anyways, Gui = jass langauge, but in form of images and shortend text.
for gui users: remember that you can convert a text to jass?
thats because its the same.

and for all the jass users: why wont you just use world editor, and then convert scripts to custom text, then you can do the same.

simply, if you arent using world editor for jass, if you ask me, its much better.
and there are serveral ways to protect your map against trigger stealers.
simply remove the .wtg file from your map,

for those who want to know why, you can pm me, but dont aspect a quick response

btw, good tut i guess :p

Why can't we use the normal WE and convert from GUI to JASS? Because the normal WE syntax checker is crap, and it can close WE without warning if you make a mistake meaning that it'd take years to reverse the damage caused by GUI in the first place i.e. converting the crappy BJ's to natives. At least with JASScraft (or any other JASS editor), you have a good syntax checker that doesn't make stuff crash when you try to save, so you can fix your mistakes before copying them to WE.

And there are things you can't do in GUI - easy-to-use systems (amongst other things, like effective MUI). Name any GUI system that is (1) incredibly easy to use, (2) can be adjusted to fit just about anything and (3) isn't an inefficient piece of... and I'll give you a box of cookies :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.