JASS: GUI to JASS

M

marcotjuhhhh

hey, no worries, i dont say you cant use jass, or convert gui to jass, but i use world editor unlimited, which can be used to add your own actions and events ( also with normal world editor ) and from there you can do the same, but anyways, i dont use jass, so i cant tell if its better to use jass or gui.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't use WEU if I was you, it got dis-continued for a reason :p

M

marcotjuhhhh

its better then normal WE, and i never have problems, why shouldnt i use it?

Reaction score
there is nothing you cant make in gui, trust me, you only need logic thinking, and maybe, costum script in gui.

And Brainfuck is Turing-complete. This is just stupid, sorry. Even to do simple things, like managing periodic actions, GUIers have to use workarounds. GUI code of more than a page length is always kludgey and inelegant.

Anything that can be done in GUI can be done better in Jass. Sometimes the difference is small, but often the difference is very large.

anyways, Gui = jass langauge, but in form of images and shortend text.

No. The GUI is an interface for generating Jass (bad Jass, might I add). Also, "Shortened"? Right..

for gui users: remember that you can convert a text to jass?
thats because its the same.

Sigh.

and for all the jass users: why wont you just use world editor, and then convert scripts to custom text, then you can do the same.

Because Jass is better.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Well im only lost becuse i dont get WHICH jass editoir on the hiveworkshop is the one hes refering to...

amostad

Reaction score
something for uss stupid

I dont understand a thing isnt there a turtorial who can explain things for uss less smart people

would be awesome to use jass

The_Dipl0mat

Reaction score
you seriously rule dude, i only looked at one other jass tutorial, and yours is well, brilliant in comparison, thanks alot,

iv used gui for about a year, and a project of mine is demanding better variable management then what gui can offer.,

much appreciated, a logical tutorial 8/10

ALSO to all those looking for the JASS Editor mentioned, google search it, i dont know why but alot of things have been removed from hive over time that 'TheHelper' tutorials tend to refer too.

Search 'Asger's Place: Jass Editor'

krainert

Reaction score
Problem compiling the knockback function

Hey,

First of all, nice tutorial - thanks.

I have a problem with the knockback function, though: The udg_cast and udg_targ variables are reported as undeclared. Shouldn't they be built-in?

D359

Reaction score
I didn't understand much of this guide,the only that I learned is to start and end a function,but I don't know how to make it work,this is my first time using jass.Maybe you guys can help me understand it better,I am working on a dota-type map (the game is a capture the flag type,and has 6 atribute stat bonus customization sistem)and I have some problems with my Beastmaster hero,he has beastmastery,a spell based on the spellbook spell that contains all of his sumons(4 in total)and the spell Axe Mastery,based on methamorphosis,this changes the beastmaster in a ranged version of himself.The problem is that no mater what i write in the custom script text zone,I get errors.I think it's because my code is wrong,or jass dosen't work with 1.24e.

here is the function I tryed after I read all the guides on this site.

function name takes nothing returns nothing
call UnitMakeAbilityPermanent(Beastmaster, true, A02T)
endfunction

Where am I going wrong,please help?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Well what's the error?

JASS:
function name takes nothing returns nothing
    call UnitMakeAbilityPermanent(Beastmaster, true, A02T)
endfunction

Also, the A02T should be [LJASS]'A02T'[/LJASS]

Is Beastmaster a valid unit variable?

Also,the latest version is not 1.24e. It's 1.26<some letter>.

Next time, please use [noparse]
JASS:
[/noparse] tags and indent your code.

D359

Reaction score
what do you mean if the Beastmaster has a valid unit variable?How do I give the Beastmaster a variable?Do I create him and then give him his own code?Like with the spellbooks?

Well to be honest there 3 or 4 erros,they came one after another

Dirac

Reaction score
What hes saying is that the computer can't just tell what is a "Beastmaster" you gotta explain it to it:
JASS:
local unit Beastmaster=CreateUnit(rawcode,player,x,y,0.)

that way the editor assigns your unit to a variable
JASS:
set Beastmaster=GetTriggerUnit()

also works

In case you don't know variables are storage tools that can keep any kind of data you need in your coding

D359

Reaction score
ok,and can I asign a rawcode with jass when I create the unit or do I have to find the beastmasters raw code?

D359

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the double post but I couldn't find the delete button for my previous post,I loaded the code you sugest,I also added a global code on the same triger,I this how it's supose a jass triger to look?

JASS:

function Trig_Beastmastery_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    call UnitMakeAbilityPermanent(Beastmaster, true, &#039;A02T&#039;
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Beastmastery takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Beastmastery = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Beastmastery, function Trig_Beastmastery_Actions )
endfunction

//===========================================================================
globals
private integer BEASTMASTER = &#039;Nbst&#039;
endglobals

This is the error I got:"The instruction at 0x77c46fa3 reference memory at 0xffffffff couldn't be read."

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no delete button. Rather, use the Edit Post button. I've merged your posts for you.

One problem may be that you are not using JASS NewGen Pack, but you are using the globals block. Keep in mind the globals block must be at the top, because Beastmaster must be defined before Trig_Beastmastery_Actions uses it.

The other problem may be that you are doing an illegal declaration. Beastmaster is an integer, but let's look at [LJASS]UnitMakeAbilityPermanent[/LJASS].

JASS:
native UnitMakeAbilityPermanent     takes unit whichUnit, boolean permanent, integer abilityId returns boolean

It first takes a unit, so you need to return the unit that uses it, not an integer. Also, on line 2, you have an unclosed parenthesis.

D359

Reaction score
It's a good theoretical tutorial,very well writen but I need practical help,I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO APPLY THESE THINGS!All I want is an example I can use to learn how to make a spellbook not get banged up by a methamorphosis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.