This distribution includes
  • Grimoire (1.5),
  • JassHelper (0.9.E.0),
  • PJass (1.0k) and
  • Grim Extension Pack 1.0b
  • TESH 0.7 and
  • Risc's Coloizer FINAL
  • UMSWE 5.0

All properly set to work together, the result is kind of a World Editor that uses PJASS to check for syntax errors and uses all of JassHelper features (OOP, libraries, etc) plus can use Grim Extension Pack's commands as well (object merge, import files, icon bordering, custom pathing for tiles, trigger merger ...). Not to mention that it uses grimoire's war3err for testing so you can test the map in a much better envornment that will show you the (thread) crash causes instead of letting them happen. Now it also comes with syntax highlighting for the trigger editor and all the benefits of the classic UMSWE. Risc's Colorizer adds a helper for colored tooltips to the object editor.

So to make it short, this compilation of tools is all you will ever need. This is a must. Not only jassers, for everyone who likes making maps.

Does this tool contain viruses?

No, some antivirus tools just think it does due to the nature of this tool, that works by injecting its own code into the process of the WE. Most tools allow to setup an exception for such cases, some have to be turned off though (like Kaspersky)

Does this work for patch 1.22?

Yes, except for Grimoire's war3err/japi. If you need those too, then I'd suggest a dual install fo War3, one patched to 1.22 for bnet play and one patched to 1.21 for development.

Download, updates and discussion are available here.
A direct link for version 1.5d.

You will also need the latest version of JassHelper, 0.A.2.B, found here
Direct link: Version 0.A.2.B

The download includes a NewGenReadme.html which should get you started and contains references to other documentation for each specific tool.
For troubleshooting I've compiled a list of reported problems and possible solutions below.

Main credits should really go to PipeDream, then there's PitzerMike who made such great addons and then Vexorian who made jasshelper and bundled everything and of course SFilip for the syntax highlighting, Risc for the Colorizer and the UMSWE team.

Troubleshooting

This section contains a collection of reported problems and their solutions, so that you don't have to re-read the whole thread.

My antivirus software reports viruses, is this package infected?
No, some antivirus tools just think it is due to the nature of this tool, that works by injecting its own code into the process of the WE. Most tools allow to setup an exception for such cases, some have to be turned off though (like Kaspersky, see below). Here's a list of tools that have been reported to cause trouble with NewGen:
* Avira Antivir detects several of the files as trojans, you can choose ignore for the reports and whitelist those files later to fix the problem. (Extras\Configuration, activate export mode, under both Scanner\Scan\Exceptions and Guard\Scan\Exceptions add the offending files to the list)
* Kaspersky Antivirus also gives false alarm and it's not possible to effectively whitelist NewGen. You need to turn Kaspersky off to use NewGen (see several questions below).
* EZ Antivirus silently quarantines some files breaking the editor completely. You need to turn it off before even downloading the pack, but then you should be able to whitelist NewGen, once it's installed.
* Avast Antivirus reports false viruses. It is possible to whitelist NewGen in its configuration though.
* AVG reports false viruses and may silently delete required files. I don't know if you can set an exception in AVG.
* F-secure reports several false viruses but you can make it ignore the NewGen files.
* McAfee VirusScan Enterprise also detects some files as viruses but allows to set an exception for those.
Check the forums if you have trouble with your antivirus software and NewGen.

Can I use war3err and japi with the latest Warcraft III version?
No, the last version that Grimoire supports is 1.21b. All editor features will still work with later versions, but the ingame features like war3err, japi and the debugger wont. A dual installation of Warcraft III is suggested to be able use to the powerful features of Grimoire still. For a dual installtion you need to follow these steps:
1. Uninstall previous Warcraft III installations from your computer.
2. Make a fresh installation of Warcraft III.
3. Patch the new installation to 1.21b with the standalone patch that can be obtained from the Blizzard site
4. Copy the complete Warcraft III folder to a different directory, so you have a second installation.
5. Patch the first installation to the latest version through battle.net or the standalone patch.
6. Fire up regedit and change the values of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\InstallPath", "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\InstallPathX" and "Software\Grimoire\War3InstallPath" to the directory of the copy you made in step 4.
7. Now you're set up to use the first installation for regular battle.net play and the second installation for mapmaking.

World Editor crashes when trying to call JassHelper, what could be problem?
Make sure in Registry Editor that Grimoire's Warcraft install path points to the Warcraft folder which you are using to edit maps (the 1.21b installation in case of a dual install).
See the previous question for more details on the registry paths that need to be set.

I don't know how and where this must be installed and how to run it?
Just extract all files from the downloaded archive to an empty directory of your choice. Preferably don't install it directly into the Warcraft III directory, and don't overwrite the folder of a previous installation, old files might cause problems.
To use it, simply start NewGen WE.exe and NewGen Warcraft.exe.

Which operating systems are supported?
This pack works on Windows 2000 and XP testedly, Windows Vista also seems to work according to user reports. Older versions and Unix systems or Macintosh are not supported, however parts of this pack can work on other systems if used from the command line.

When I use the test map button, Warcraft III will start but return to the main menu instead of loading a map?
This can happen when your map uses vJASS code and you hit the test map button when the map is unsaved (*-symbol is shown in the title bar) or the map has been saved-as directly before testing the map.
Simply save your map before every test-run, so that it's fully compiled.

Windowed, OpenGL and War3err mode work fine with the test map button, but why is the test ai button not affected?
You can work around it with the menu command Grimoire\Test map configuration. It offers the same settings as the test ai configuration but works with the normal test map button.

A popup keeps telling me that i should save my map again, especially when working in the campaign editor, how to deal with it?
For the first time a map is saved this is normal, because the path of the map isn't known until then.
When you're editing maps from a campaign, however the path cannot be found because those maps are stored inside the campaign.
A workaround is saving a local copy of that map in the maps folder and working with that copy, then when the map is finished re-import it into the campaign.
You can also turn off the popup via the Grimoire\Disable first save warning menu item, in case you want to make basic edits to maps that don't use vJASS features.
Another possible reason are non-standard-ansi characters in the path of your map. On Windows systems of other languages like Russian or Chinese this can be the problem. Copy the map to a directory that contains only standard ansi characters to fix it.

Whenever i start the NewGen WE I'm told that it can't find my Warcraft directory or I need to select it in a browser dialog everytime. What's wrong?
The browse for directory dialog is normal if it's the frist time you are starting the NewGen pack.
If the browser pops up every time, one possible reason could be the lack of admin privileges on the machine.
Another possible reason for this is non-standard-ansi characters in your Warcraft installation path, like already described in the previous paragraph.
If all fails you can hardcode the path into findpath.lua by removing the -- from the line --path = "C:\\Warcraft III" and changing the path there.

Whenever i start the NewGen WE I'm told that an instance is already running, I need to insert the CD or to turn off Kaspersky. What's wrong?
Well, as the message already suggests, an instance of the editor may already be running.
If this is not the case another cause for this popup may be that you're using a patch prior to version 1.21b and do not have the Warcraft CD in your CD drive.
Some antivirus tools like Kaspersky antivirus also cause this popup. You need to disable those tools before running NewGen.
If you have Kaspersky Antivirus installed, follow these steps to get it working:
1. Remove your current NewGen installation.
2. Redownload the NewGen pack and extract it to a directory of your choice.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Turn off Kaspersky (right-click in systemtray -> Exit) before running NewGen.
5. Start the NewGen WE.
Make sure you never try to run NewGen when Kaspersky is on, because it will permanently block it until you restart your computer.

When i start the NewGen WE, the Grimoire menus never appear, or only appear the first time that i start NewGen. The WE acts like a completely unmodded, normal WE, what's wrong?
Make sure you have patched your Warcraft installation to version 1.21.
Make sure you're not using a cracked WE. Mount the TFT mini image in daemon tools instead of using a crack if you must. Although some people have successfully used NewGen with a cracked WE it is not recommended.
If you're using Vista, try it under Windows XP, maybe it's a Vista problem.
A virus might be the root of the problem too, make sure your computer is clean.
Finally anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software can be causing the problem by blocking the changes that Grimoire makes to the WE. Try disabling such software temporarily.

The trigger editor gets random crashes or I get a message about an invalid pointer or similar in tesh.dll?
The syntax highlighter has problems with Window Blinds and maybe other window mods. Set an exception for the WE in Window Blinds or disable the tool while you're using NewGen. To add an exception open WindowBlinds -> settings tab -> change the look of an app -> add per application setting. There tell it to completly ignore NewGen. I believe that it's sufficient to add JassNewGenPack\bin\exehack.exe there but you might also have to add Warcraft III\worldedit.exe and/or Warcraft III\worldedit121.exe to fix the error.

Whenever I save any map, no matter what code it contains I get an unrecognized pjass error?
This problem isn't solved yet, any clues and hints are welcome.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
It took me 15m+ to configure my TESH's color scheme, will this be saved when installing this general update?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> This belongs in the systems and code section.
No, this is not really a system so it'll stay here as a sticky.
Thanks Mike.

> will this be saved when installing this general update?
It should be, but you can back up the Styles.ini file just in case.

> now is already 4b right?
Not really, it's actually 1.4b in the wc3c thread as well.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
@Mike
I wonder, Vexorian stopped programming Jass NewGen already? And you are the one who took over his work?
What about JassHelper Processor??

@SFilip
I wonder, when are you gonna take a look of your TESH thread?
Alots of bug fixing is waiting for you... xD
And did you find out what causes the bug that I PM-ed you in WC3C?

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
Newgen is more of a packagin work than programming.

I still make jasshelper the thing with newgen is that It is windows-only so I can't test new stuff on it.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Windows Vista also seems to work according to user reports.

FWIW, yes, it works. So did the previous version already.
No, I didn't test every single feature...

Though, the syntax highlighter... let's put it like this: DO NOT resize your trigger window!
(Not a Vista feature :p)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
I don't really understand why that happens, everything works fine for me when I resize the window :confused:
The only known-to-fail thing is moving those separators between the code and the tree or the description.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Newgen is more of a packagin work than programming.

I still make jasshelper the thing with newgen is that It is windows-only so I can't test new stuff on it.

So you use a Linux, right? Yea, hopefully it will soon be compatible with Linux.

Anyways, I'll download this as soon as my good comp with WE works again...

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
i still need to run that test from before to figure out why it was not working on my computadora....ugg

xxartanisxx

Reaction score
So i downloaded this and i am completely lost on what to do next. i read the guide and everything doesnt seem to help me plz give me a quick easy guide.

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
So i downloaded this and i am completely lost on what to do next. i read the guide and everything doesnt seem to help me plz give me a quick easy guide.

I don't know how and where this must be installed and how to run it?
Just extract all files from the downloaded archive to an empty directory of your choice. Preferably don't install it directly into the Warcraft III directory, and don't overwrite the folder of a previous installation, old files might cause problems.
To use it, simply start NewGen WE.exe and NewGen Warcraft.exe.

:rolleyes:

punwisp

Reaction score
um i downloaded it but what do i use to extract it or w/e? it shows up as a file that doesnt know what program to use it or w/e when its all white and asks you for the appropriate program to use. what program is it i use?

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
Someone should really add a link to the latest jasshelper in the first post.
Current Jasshelper version is 0.9.9.7 (last stable) and 0.9.9.8 (unstable)

But I see a lot of people using 0.9.9.3 because it is the version that comes with NewGen 4b

Jasshelper is updated more often than NewGen people,
learn to install it separately.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
its not really an instal, just a cnp, teh prob is, the newwer versions have bugs, atleast i cant use the newest myself, so sometimes updating what works screws things up

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
I never had ANY problems with 0.9.9.7
IMHO It is the most stable version in history of jasshelper...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.