Jass

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm curious to know: How similar would you say C and JASS are? Because if they are similar enough, then I might take up learning JASS because I'm learning C in University.

Cheers

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have no programming experience, I'd recommend learning vJass before learning C at university.
C is much more advanced, has a lot features to offer, and has quite different syntax; so they're not particularly similar. However, with vJass, you'll learn some very basic programming fundamentals such as variables, functions/methods (taking/returning values), some OOP, encapsulation, etc. vJass is a simple way to introduce yourself to the programming scene. You'll also be able to get immediate results with a lot of the code you make, which makes it all the better for learning.

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
@Romek: I don't really have much of a choice in doing programming at uni because it's part of my engineering degree. Though they've introduced us to it (at least the "basics" quite clever way, which is by teaching us a bit of MATLAB first, and then taught us to do almost exactly the same things that we did in MATLAB, but in C instead. So now we're coding thinks like basic versions of Yahtzee and Hangman and such. So we're still doing relatively basic stuff, but we're getting there haha. So it hasn't been hard to pick up. And you're right, it is generally quite broad! But thanks for the suggestion. And by the way, what's the difference between vJass and normal Jass? Because if the difficulty jump between vJass and Jass isn't all that big, then I might as well start with just regular Jass.

@Narks: I haven't coded anything with Java specifically before, but thanks for posting.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
@Romek: I don't really have much of a choice in doing programming at uni because it's part of my engineering degree. Though they've introduced us to it (at least the "basics" quite clever way, which is by teaching us a bit of MATLAB first, and then taught us to do almost exactly the same things that we did in MATLAB, but in C instead. So now we're coding thinks like basic versions of Yahtzee and Hangman and such. So we're still doing relatively basic stuff, but we're getting there haha. So it hasn't been hard to pick up. And you're right, it is generally quite broad! But thanks for the suggestion. And by the way, what's the difference between vJass and normal Jass? Because if the difficulty jump between vJass and Jass isn't all that big, then I might as well start with just regular Jass.

@Narks: I haven't coded anything with Java specifically before, but thanks for posting.

The difference between JASS and vJass is similar to the difference between C and C++. C++/vJass add Object Oriented Programming to the language, by allowing you to work with Classes/Structs. Generally, there is not much that is different between vJass and JASS, as far as functionality goes. It's generally just a change in programming paradigm, so if you prefer the C language, you would likely prefer using JASS.

Either way, I would still recommend getting Newgen (A pack of tools for use with the World Editor), with an updated JASSHelper (the vJass/Zinc pre-compiler), as without JASSHelper, you cannot easily create global variables. With JASSHelper, you have globals blocks, which is extremely useful, regardless of your choice of language.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're comfortable with the basics at the moment, then you won't gain much from learning vJass (though it's a fun language to use :p).

JASS is what the WC3 engine can actually interpret. vJass is an extension of JASS (which is precompiled to vanilla JASS) which you can use if you have JNGP. It adds quite a few new features, all of which are documented in the JassHelper Manual. Remember you don't necessarily have to immediately use all of those features when learning vJass, though things like global blocks (no more variable editor) and initializers are essential, and JASS is very tiresome to use without them, so I'd recommend using JNGP immediately. It also adds syntax highlighting and a function list, which is certainly quite helpful.

What is JASS and how to learn it. For no reason whatsoever, I'd recommend this tutorial. :p

Edit: Darthfett beat me to a few things I've mentioned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.