Java , c++ or anything else ?

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
If you want the basic feel of programing try batch files.
(this is no joke!)

Its simple and many programing do not have the same commands.

T

The Canon

Nobody seems to be advocating for Java, so I will. It's a good (object-oriented) language that finds a very happy medium between simplicity and power. I think it's a great language to start off with.

duyen

Reaction score
I go for Javascript, it is useful for making applets lol.....
Though I never tried C++

Uh... JavaScript is not a programming language.

It's a scripting language.

I've never even heard a .exe JavaScript compiler before.

Reaction score
Uh... JavaScript is not a programming language.

It's a scripting language.

I've never even heard a .exe JavaScript compiler before.

Scripting languages are programming languages. It doesn't matter whether people write native code compilers for a scripting language or not, it's still a programming language.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I say learn C++

Best way to learn is to use a linux distribution like OpenSUSE, use an editor like KWrite for editing and gcc+ for compiling (linux is such a blessing)

duyen

Reaction score
Scripting languages are programming languages. It doesn't matter whether people write native code compilers for a scripting language or not, it's still a programming language.

ok, well let me ask you this, for making a... let's say game that runs on your own computer, would you use VBScript, a scripting language, or VB, a programming language.

Reaction score
ok, well let me ask you this, for making a... let's say game that runs on your own computer, would you use VBScript, a scripting language, or VB, a programming language.

This question isn't relevant. Scripting languages are, by definition, programming languages. It doesn't matter which language you would use for some task, it doesn't mean that the others are not programming languages.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I thought this was a question..not a debate. :p

Also, it all depends what you want to do. C++ is the best direction to go because of it's diversity.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
Have you considered Python? That was my first real programming language. It has simple enough (as in, very high-level) syntax to see fast results, but it is also powerful enough to make complex games, using the Pygame engine in particular.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I learned some c++ in school, and I am now deepening my knowledge about it.

If you have warcraft3, then if you understand the basics about the GUI triggers and variables there you won't have as much trouble learning programming as if not knowing anything.

Else I suggest going with the tutorial that SFilip posted is really good. It is good when learning c++ for the first time, and recapping forgotten knowledge about it also. I used it to recap my knowledge of c++:)

Here is another pretty good tutorial: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
For a beginner, I would not recommend a language that is complex as far as its syntax goes.

I haven't tried Java, but from what I've read, it seems to be a more complicated language, because it is almost entirely based on objects and classes. (Object oriented programming).

I didn't like Visual Basic, just because it was so simple, and the GUI-making part of the programming was tedious and limited to me.

For a beginner, I'd recommend Python, since it is a powerful language, and yet easy enough for a beginner to jump right into.
  • Don't have to compile anything to test a script
  • Easy to read/learn syntax
  • Powerful enough to let you do many things, without requiring you to learn another language
  • Teaches good formatting habits

Here's a sticky on the language, if you want to learn more:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112034

The reason I don't recommend C or C++ is because the syntax is complicated, and requires a lot of tutorials before you fully understand the language.

For example, here is the Hello World program in C:
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
    printf("Hello World");
}

And here is the Hello World program in Python:

Code:
print "Hello World"

With python, you don't have to learn a ton of new syntax before you can get started in the language. All you have to do is look up what you're trying to do, and chances are, someone's already done it.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The reason I don't recommend C or C++ is because the syntax is complicated, and requires a lot of tutorials before you fully understand the language.

For example, here is the Hello World program in C:
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
    printf("Hello World");
}

And here is the Hello World program in Python:

Code:
print "Hello World"

With python, you don't have to learn a ton of new syntax before you can get started in the language. All you have to do is look up what you're trying to do, and chances are, someone's already done it.

That is actually a bad example.

First of all, the declaration of the standard input/output header happens only once. It is also quite easy to understand. The declaration of main is also very good for a learning programmer, because functions are very important. This way you learn to deal with it immediately.

And second, I would like to state that less syntax does not have to be an advantage. To me, it even seems a disadvantage. Because of the syntax, your code becomes more readable. Whether a statement is a constructor, a function call or a memberfunction is very clear in the C++ syntax.

And lastly, debugging seems easier to me in C++. If you accidently remove the whitespace between print and "Hello World" , I can' t imagine what will happen, although it is just a whitespace. In C++ you can add and remove whitespaces as you wish, to make your code more readable.

Then I give you another tip: Do not start off with visual programming! It is better to get to know the structure of a program first. Don' t worry, it takes some time before you start to work with self-made libraries and makefiles. But once you get there, you understand what the visual programming editor actually does for you. Although unnecessary, you learn a lot of it.

By the way Java and C++ are both excellent languages to learn programming. If you want to keep it to a more basic level, I suggest you use visual basic.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
That is actually a bad example.

1. First of all, the declaration of the standard input/output header happens only once. It is also quite easy to understand. The declaration of main is also very good for a learning programmer, because functions are very important. This way you learn to deal with it immediately.

2. And second, I would like to state that less syntax does not have to be an advantage. To me, it even seems a disadvantage. Because of the syntax, your code becomes more readable. Whether a statement is a constructor, a function call or a memberfunction is very clear in the C++ syntax.

3. And lastly, debugging seems easier to me in C++. If you accidently remove the whitespace between print and "Hello World" , I can' t imagine what will happen, although it is just a whitespace. In C++ you can add and remove whitespaces as you wish, to make your code more readable.

1. Not so easy for a person who's never seen a programming language before. It confused me when I first saw it, and I had already learned much of JASS.

I also prefer the idea where you learn what you want to learn, when you need it. When you're going to make a simple statement like printing a test statement, you shouldn't have to go through the hassle of learning what a function is, what the syntax is, why you have to import the library, etc.

2. Some of the time it is. When you're always going to have a main function, there's shouldn't be a need to define it. In python, you simply start typing, and you're automatically in the main function (unless you start defining a function, which allows you to put the function wherever you want in your code).

Python makes things extremely clear as well, the whitespace formatting shows you what blocks end where, clearly.

3. If you remove the space between print and "hello world", it works just fine in python.

by White space formatting, I mean like this:

Code:
if condition then:
    dostuff()
    if condition2 then:
        domorestuff()

It teaches you to indent things that are inside blocks, whereas you can be really lazy in other languages and just do something like this:
Perl:
Code:
if (Condition) {dostuff();if (Condition) {domorestuff();}}

It's much harder to read something like that.

However, when you have to debug something to see if it works, you can't simply open up a terminal and test it, you have to compile it first, which gets a bit annoying when you're doing something as simple as testing.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Go with JavaScript. It's useful, and gives instant feedback.

• Open notepad
  • Copy/paste below in the code tag
  • Save as blah.html
  • Open with browser
  • Play with as necessary using resources at http://www.w3schools.com

Code:
<html><head></head><body>

<script type="text/javascript">
    // JavaScript goes here
    var x = 2 * 2;
    alert(x);
    document.write('This be a text');
</script>

</body></html>

Not a programming language, but as a 'complete beginner' that's all the same to you anyway.

I recommend Firebug ( for Firefox ) & JSlint to find errors.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Javascript is definately user friendly and easy to learn, but it can't do programming like some of these languages can, like C++ and Python. Javascript can only be used on the web aswell.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Keyword: beginner

Javascript is definately user friendly and easy to learn, but it can't do programming like some of these languages can, like C++ and Python. Javascript can only be used on the web aswell.
You don't need the web.

duyen

Reaction score
Go with JavaScript. It's useful, and gives instant feedback.

• Open notepad
  • Copy/paste below in the code tag
  • Save as blah.html
  • Open with browser
  • Play with as necessary using resources at http://www.w3schools.com

Code:
<html><head></head><body>

<script type="text/javascript">
    // JavaScript goes here
    var x = 2 * 2;
    alert(x);
</script>

</body></html>

Not a programming language, but as a 'complete beginner' that's all the same to you anyway.

I recommend Firebug ( for Firefox ) & JSlint to find errors.

Hooray for making things more complicated then needed?

Just save as blah.js and have this as code:
Code:
    var x = 2 * 2;
    alert(x);

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Just save as blah.js
And then what? :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.