[Java] Pokémon Walking algorithm

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I tried on my home pc and it works fine. When I'll be back in the office I'll try running it there, since that's where it didn't work.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use java8 for your latest version tom? Maybe jonas needs to update.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you use java8 for your latest version tom? Maybe jonas needs to update.
No, I checked the Java Compliance level and it shows JRE 1.7. I turned off Java 1.8_05 for sure, so I don't know.

I'm guessing that your work PC is in need of an Java 1.7 Update 55, jonas.

jonas

Reaction score
I just decompressed it manually and it works fine. Running it while it's compressed still doesn't work (but it works fine with v15 and on my other machine)

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I just decompressed it manually and it works fine. Running it while it's compressed still doesn't work (but it works fine with v15 and on my other machine)
Did you extract the JAR from the ZIP? I don't ever recall using compression on a JAR, other than to upload it using a ZIP container.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the compression I was talking about.
You have to extract the JAR before you attempt to execute v16. It was supposed to be a standalone JAR file, but TH won't allow JAR files for security reasons.

v16 has added custom map modding. You can add your own maps into the game. It creates a new folder in the directory where the JAR file is located, hence you will have a problem when it is run from a ZIP file. ZIP files cannot allow generated files to be added into them.

Last edited:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to extract the JAR before you attempt to execute v16. It was supposed to be a standalone JAR file, but TH won't allow JAR files for security reasons.

v16 has added custom map modding. You can add your own maps into the game. It creates a new folder in the directory where the JAR file is located, hence you will have a problem when it is run from a ZIP file. ZIP files cannot allow generated files to be added into them.
You can add files to a zip archive if you copy the old data over to a new archive first and overwrite the old one.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You can add files to a zip archive if you copy the old data over to a new archive first and overwrite the old one.
I don't know how to generate a ZIP file containing the files that the game "may" require from Java.

Besides, loading resources from a ZIP file and saving to a ZIP file seemed overkill for a small, unfinished game, compared to Minecraft, where they used ZIP archives to load in texture packs.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Update to r17:
  • Added "Save" feature. Now you can save your progress.
This took a lot more time than expected. This marks the first time ever for me to play with file input/output, create a custom interchange binary format, and have a future plan ready.

Attachments

• walking_v17.zip
    194.6 KB · Views: 630

jonas

Reaction score
How is it supposed to load? I unpacked on my desktop and saved. It created "data.sav". I found no way to open it.
Do you intend to extend the engine with scripting? E.g., to start battles, create icons, move/walk objects, ...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
How is it supposed to load? I unpacked on my desktop and saved. It created "data.sav". I found no way to open it.
Do you intend to extend the engine with scripting? E.g., to start battles, create icons, move/walk objects, ...
Of course, loading will be implemented in the future. It's just that this update is pretty time-consuming for me, and I have an upcoming 4-day break soon, so I decided to upload what I have right now, and continue later.

As for the loading, it would need a game menu, the menu that appears when you are about to start playing the actual game. In Pokémon, games are loaded when the player presses "Continue". That is what I intended to do. That's another time consuming thing for me, so...

Work, work.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Update:

LOADING COMPLETE!!! FAK YESH !!!

You can now save and load your game state. Loading is automatically done when you start up the game. To delete saved data, delete the "data.sav" file that was generated when you save your game.

Attachments

• walking_v18.zip
    203.8 KB · Views: 627

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Editor Update:

Editor: Added new Category Selection.
Editor: Modified all HashMaps into ArrayList
Editor: Fix potential panning/drawing conflicts.
Editor: Made all tools updated accordingly. (ARGB editing, Tile Selection, and Category Selection)
Editor: Minor bugfixes.
Editor: Made the whole editor larger.
Editor: Fixed dragging your mouse not drawing.

Attachments

• editor_v4.zip
    215.8 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.