Javascript Bookmarklet Question or something better? Hubspot to Microsoft Access passing a Contact

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I need to interface a web app with a desktop app and I am looking at trying to do it with a bookmarklet. Can I can I call a local program thru a bookmarklet using Java Script or does Java Script restrict you to the web? If it just gives a warning that is fine just as long as it is not restricted to do a local path instead of http whatever in a chrome browser? I would setup a Bookmarklet to be called from Hubspot then use Javascript to call MS Access from a path I know is right and hopefully be able to pass a parameter or be able to set some cookies using Javascript that are just local cookies for the MS Access program to read.

I am looking for other ideas. Is a brower plug in better than a bookmarklet? The Hubspot Contact HTML page I am calling from is not much help in getting my contact info from it but they do have an API but is says it is legacy and maybe not supported anymore. I think I can still pull something from the Hubspot page that identifies the contact to pass to the Access program. The Access system will have a synched database, kind of,

Would I be better off sending to a middleware URL and doing it from there? What are the restrictions of calling a local program from a website?

I could ultimately try to use middleware and just shoot to a website and call Access from there based on a URL created by a bookmarklet when I work out what to send as a parameter?

I need to hack this and make it work somehow the Hubspot people already said you cannot do this I consider that a challenge.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to open a local program like Microsoft Access from a web page if you had full security do so on a Windows client?

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Is it possible to open a local program like Microsoft Access from a web page if you had full security do so on a Windows client?
I know some apps are openable from the browser, like webex. Don't ask me what you need to do to get that though

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
It is pretty shut down I have not been able to find a browser side solution it looks like I might have to do an add in or some kind of web app redirect. I am learning some stuff on my research into this though.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I figured out how to do this, at least in theory. I can make the bookmarklet just set a cookie and then have a persistent program running on startup on the client side that checks for that cookie and reacts when it is present then clears it when it is done. Middleware - since I control the client I can make sure I have something running at all times that just checks for the cookies and reacts. No security risks just works I like it - at least in theory but I have been working with this long enough to know it can be done and this is just one way I am sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.