US News Judge shames 72-year-old cancer patient for overgrown yard

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
4TN3KHLJVFA3NFKNVJ447O5XVA.JPG

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. (WDIV) - A Michigan judge is being criticized after she berated a 72-year-old cancer patient for not cleaning up his lawn.

The exchange between Judge Alexis Krot and 72-year-old defendant Burhan Chowdhury took place during a virtual court hearing related to failure to keep his property maintained in violation of a Hamtramck, Michigan, ordinance.

“The neighbors should not have to look at that,” Krot told the defendant. “You should be ashamed of yourself.”

The man’s son, Shibbir Chowdhury, appeared at the hearing alongside his father, who doesn’t speak much English. He explained that his father is a cancer patient who is undergoing chemotherapy, and that leaves him too weak to go out and clear overgrown plants.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Update: Hamtramck judge apologizes for berating elderly cancer patient over weeds

Hamtramck Judge Alexis Krot has apologized to an elderly cancer patient she berated and threatened with jail time over some unkempt weeds outside his home. And she said she's reporting herself to a state commission that probes judicial misbehavior.

"I made a mistake," Krot said in a statement shared with the Free Press by the court Thursday. "I acted intemperately. I'm very embarrassed that I did so. I apologize to the person who appeared before me and to our entire community for having failed to meet the high standards that we expect of our judicial officers, and that I expect of myself."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.