US News LA City Council to vote on initiative that would require hotels to give up empty rooms to the homeless

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES - On Friday, the Los Angeles City Council will consider passing an ordinance that would house homeless people in empty hotel rooms. If it passes, every hotel in Los Angeles will have to report their vacancies.

According to the measure, "Each hotel shall communicate to the Department or its designee, in a form that the Department prescribes, by 2 p.m. each day the number of available rooms at the hotel for that night."

"It’s crazy," said Ray Patel, the president of the Northeast Los Angeles Hotel Owners Association.

Patel said members of the association are worried.

"I can't screen who ends up in my hotel rooms?" he said. "How do I protect my other customers and my staff?"

Members of Unite Here Local 11, who are behind the initiative, say they have already gathered 126,000 signatures in favor. Council members could decide to put it on the ballot if they don’t approve it outright.

Maria Hernandez, communications director of Unite Here Local 11 said this picks up where the phased-out Project Room Key left off. The Los Angeles initiative paid hotels to house homeless individuals during the pandemic but did not force them. This initiative includes language indicating that hotels not accepting the vouchers could be sued.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
What a horrible freaking idea! Nobody in there right mind if going to stay in a hotel if they cannot be sure it is going to be safe. Not all homeless people are bad but without a way to screen anyone or not be allowed to refuse it is a huge mistake. I would personally never stay in a Hotel that did this. Just saying.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
And if I were operating a hotel in a city that passed something this insane, I would immediately close down my operations or sell it off to some sucker so they can deal with the fallout. No thanks.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Practically seems on the verge of violating the third amendment besides the fact it's not soldiers. That's ridiculous. The only thing that would make it remotely acceptable is if the city pays for the vacancies rather than pushing a cost onto the hotel involuntarily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.