Lack of Rep. Worrying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Yes. You should be worried. If you do not attain 49 reputation points by sundown, your account will explode.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I got my first 100 rep after like 1.3k posts.

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
I just semi recently obtained 100 rep (ok, so maybe like 6 months ago), but that was after around 800 posts. A lot of reputation has to do with where you post. If you post in the WE Help Zone and your advice works, people will likely give you +rep. If you post something in the video clips section that people find interesting or that sort of thing, you are likely to obtain more rep. People typically don't receive much rep for posting pictures in the Funny Picture Thread, but I do it anyway :D . There you have it.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
I have >700 posts but only 30 Reputation Points.
Should I be worried?

lol silly question, but yeah :/

I went over the first few pages of your posts and they seem helpful. Maybe you should put an avatar - that will make it psychological. When people read your replies they will see a human face and their brains will feel more like in real life dialogue. And since people are more thankful to other people than to passive pieces of text, e.g. Wikipedia, your avatar above your post could possibly influence them subconsciously to give rep to your advices. The lack of an avatar with a human face possibly makes your posts look like quotes from anonymous guides rather than bits of dialogue (and people don't care about rewarding those much).

^^

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
Avatars are always a good idea, but I managed to get 500 rep without one, so clearly they are not essential. The one thing avatars do do is make your presence aware to staff members. This is usually a good thing, as staff and users will remember your helpfulness in the future and give you help/rep in return. For example, I got a +rep from someone (not going to name names) not because they liked my posts (see my Funny Picture Thread posts), but they liked that I was making the thread active and trying to get others to join in. Also, I breathed life into the FPT, but because of jobs and school, I have forced to be less actively posting pictures and other content.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Yes. You should be worried. If you do not attain 49 reputation points by sundown, your account will explode.
lol.

Okay thanks all. Will look into adding an avatar soon.
@Ioannes You said that I should add a real avatar, but I see like none here on TH. Curious as to showing who I am to people I do not now is really necessary. Regardlessly I have taken your advice into consideration. Thank you

I think I got my first 100 rep after like 1.3k posts.

Thanks for reasurrance.

--

But I suppose rep shouldn't really be a big deal but when you see users with >1000, it can be conserning haha

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Disable rep, in my opinion. Just makes people get e-egos and half-ass posts just to get higher post/rep counts. :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
People get different rep at different rates. My rep used to be higher than my post count, but that's when I actually helped people.

I'm sure you even got sympathy rep from this thread lol.

>Disable rep, in my opinion.

Pretty sure only admins can do that. Phyrex is original :p

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Semi-subtle 'rep me pl0x' thread.

And don't worry, the people that really matter on this forum don't care about rep!

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
LOL, threads about Rep are so last year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.