Laptop - Change primary GPU

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
Hi, and can I say it's been a while TH.net.. :3

Keeping it straight and to the point, how can you set your laptop's primary graphics card?
I googled the answer but to no avail. Every one keeps on saying that it's in the BIOS. However, when I looked at the BIOS, there's no option to change the primary GPU.
This happened when I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
'dxdiag' previously said that my graphics card is "NVIDIA GeForce 635M". After the update, it now says "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000". This made some of my 3D games give me BSODs. (At least I'm postitive it did. BSOD gave me "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)" error)

I have an ASUS laptop, K55VJ model [Info Here]. Just tell me if you need more info about the model.

Thanks in advance! :D
~Tertel

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How about asking asus tech support if you legally own the laptop?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How would I know? Go to their website, it will probably tell you.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Dig around the BIOS and see if you can disable the on-board graphics. It might forcefully revert back to your graphics card then?

There's gotta be something on the BIOS I would think ...

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
Dig around the BIOS and see if you can disable the on-board graphics. It might forcefully revert back to your graphics card then?

There's gotta be something on the BIOS I would think ...

I checked twice now. There's no option to disable on-board graphics.
There is, however, something that I can set about graphics. The options I can set it to were 64MB, 128MB, 256 MB and 512 MB. I forgot what it was.
._.'

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I would guess that the build in intel graphics share the ram with the operating system instead of having own dedicated vram. This might be the option you are talking about.

Did you try contacting tech support yet?
You always have to keep in mind that you are probably not the only person on earth having this laptop. And you are probably not the only person who updated to windows 8.1.
So there is probably some information about this issue already.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
What mobo do you have?

EDIT: Wait a sec, you posted your laptop model, sec.

EDIT 2: Page won't load -.- back to work till asus stops being ridiculous.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
chances are you can only use the 635 while plugged in, and it defaults to the 4000 while on battery - make sure you have the driver(s) for both installed, you shouldn't get BSODS or anything while switching from one to the other

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Haha, that's funny. I had this same problem with my laptop for so long, I was so frustrated with this. My specific laptop I found out had some issues where it just couldn't detect my 650M, so I basically got ripped off. I was stuck with the Intel HD 4000 and I couldn't run new games well.

The sad thing was that there was basically no solution. I had read people's posts and blogs in which they tried for over year, talking with support, trying to get it fixed and nothing worked. And I tried fixing it myself as well for a long time but with no success. Installed drivers, re-installed BIOS, disabled the 4000, checked for the card physically by opening up my laptop, everything. So I pretty much gave up.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, Dell released a new BIOS update. Victory!
So I guess that still kinda sucks, it's just a problem with the BIOS and I don't know what you can do besides check for updates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.