Left to Die Mod

GardenofWar

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hi, I recently started playing the Blizzard mod Left to Died, and have quickly become obsessed with it. I've discovered it has quite the following too. I find it offers something of a challenge that I can really appreciate in the Night to Die mode, where you "try" to ward off countless waves of Infested Terran and overwhelming Zerg (nothing new here, but I like it.) If you haven't explored this mode yet or played the game, It's worth a try, especially if you enjoy defense maps. I like that it's co-op, and I love the upgrades, I love how you can't actually beat this mode, only improve on your time. Well this got me thinking. I think it would make a rather interesting mod to improve upon this with a slew of new research options/upgrades, and a few other twist such as saving your best times. My best time for Night to Die is 1 hr and 14 minutes. I could have gone longer, it was my partner that broke. But regardless I had to play it SEVERAL times to reach this point, and try out many different builds/researches/upgrades. I think it would be neat to take the cap off research and upgrades make the sky nearly the limit and see how far one can take this. obviously the baddies keep getting stronger and this would all need to be balanced out just right. However, this seems like a simple enough thing to dabble with because the map the triggers, the units, etc. they are all there. You would only need to change a handful of things to create in my mind what would be a pretty rewarding gaming experience. I have talked about this with a handful of other gamers and they think it would be popular. So those are just some of my thoughts. If anyone is interested in seeing this through with me then either PM me or use this thread for open discussion, but I would love the help to bring this to fruition. I know that I would really need to have some help though from someone more experienced than me. I'm just putting this out there to see if anyone would have a common interest here and would enjoy to see such a project completed. If you've heard this out than I thank you for your time.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
My first word of advice;

Paragraphs. I could read through it, but the average person is turned off by big walls of text. So I'll just quote what it should look like in this post for others.

Hi, I recently started playing the Blizzard mod Left to Died, and have quickly become obsessed with it. I've discovered it has quite the following too. I find it offers something of a challenge that I can really appreciate in the Night to Die mode, where you "try" to ward off countless waves of Infested Terran and overwhelming Zerg (nothing new here, but I like it.) If you haven't explored this mode yet or played the game, It's worth a try, especially if you enjoy defense maps.

I like that it's co-op, and I love the upgrades, I love how you can't actually beat this mode, only improve on your time. Well this got me thinking. I think it would make a rather interesting mod to improve upon this with a slew of new research options/upgrades, and a few other twist such as saving your best times. My best time for Night to Die is 1 hr and 14 minutes. I could have gone longer, it was my partner that broke. But regardless I had to play it SEVERAL times to reach this point, and try out many different builds/researches/upgrades.

I think it would be neat to take the cap off research and upgrades make the sky nearly the limit and see how far one can take this. obviously the baddies keep getting stronger and this would all need to be balanced out just right. However, this seems like a simple enough thing to dabble with because the map the triggers, the units, etc. they are all there. You would only need to change a handful of things to create in my mind what would be a pretty rewarding gaming experience.

I have talked about this with a handful of other gamers and they think it would be popular. So those are just some of my thoughts. If anyone is interested in seeing this through with me then either PM me or use this thread for open discussion, but I would love the help to bring this to fruition. I know that I would really need to have some help though from someone more experienced than me.

I'm just putting this out there to see if anyone would have a common interest here and would enjoy to see such a project completed. If you've heard this out than I thank you for your time.

Anyway.. More upgrades? I'm a bit new to the editor and I'll look into it a bit. Don't expect an update from me, but I'll try to get back to you on this.

UPDATE:

God the editor is annoying.. but after about 30 seconds of browsing and what I know of the editor, you have to; (Please note that these are just basic instructions and do not supply information on where to find each of these things)

1: Create a button for each upgrade you want.
2: Make a copy of a previous level of an upgrade you want under the upgrades category.
3 (Optional): Make changes under the effects portion of the upgrade and rename it as necessary.
Some whole number inbetween 3 and 4: Make requirements if you want. You'll probably need them.
4: Go find the structure that contains your upgrade.
5: Go under its abilities and select the research ability. Click view.
6: Go under info+ and double click on the next open research field.
7: Input all the stats you want your upgrade to have.

If you need me, I'll be somewhere.

GardenofWar

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Tyman2007 thanks for the advice and yes, sorry for no paragraphs. I was typing that up in class and a bit distracted so my apologies on that one. Thanks for taking the time to respond and to help me out. I should have noted that I already know how to do a few things in the editor, it's not that I couldn't figure these things out...and thehelper is a great resource for that. I just don't have the time. I'm a full time student, I work, and have a kid. I was hoping on the off chance that someone else would find this interesting enough to want to venture on this map with me. At that point I would be willing to invest my time because I wouldn't be the only one working on it. I think it's more motivating to work in a team as well.

Also, about 2 days after I posted this I ran across a Left 2 Die enhanced which is essentially this same idea of modifying it, however I was very displeased with the results (hope I'm not offending anyone.) It just wasn't quite what I was looking for. It was very poorly balanced. Their Night to Die mode for instance goes from being easy to all of a sudden the first nydus springs in your base and spews 4 ultras, roaches, hydras, lings, and abberrations all in amply supply. It just felt cheap too with things like the ability to load siege tanks and goliaths into bunkers that hold something like 12 units and yet are about the size of a marauder.

Again, my apologies for not being clear and concise, I hope that cleared some things up, and thank you for your time. Plus rep for at least putting something down :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.