Legal Age of Consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
omg..... i cant agree more with you. that is a great idea, i mean i say it should really be 13, while society would frown upon it, thus discurage most 13 year olds from it, but kids like me, wont be screwed over if they were to be caught.

i mean i hardly think consentual sex should be a crime, but if it must then let the age be 13 with a limited age range for a partner.

Have fun with a baby at 13. Contraceptives probably aren't that good of an idea for people that small to take, the brain hasn't developed. It has nothing to do with maturity, it has to do with lust and at that age the body has incredibly high levels of hormones. And the question shouldn't even be when they understand, it should be the age that someone is capable of upbringing a child. Which a 13 year old not even in high school is not.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
Have fun with a baby at 13. Contraceptives probably aren't that good of an idea for people that small to take, the brain hasn't developed. It has nothing to do with maturity, it has to do with lust and at that age the body has incredibly high levels of hormones. And the question shouldn't even be when they understand, it should be the age that someone is capable of upbringing a child. Which a 13 year old not even in high school is not.

in that case lets make it ilegal for crack heads to have sex, and anyone in debt, anyone who is on any government help program, anyone in collage.

becouse if they have to rely on the government for help, it apperent they cant rais a child. O:

what your saying is just as logical as only allowing people who are well off have sex, there have been sucsesful teen mothers who had babys at 13, in panama where im from, there are THOUSANDS. and they keep the kids and normally things turn out okay.

besides that, just teach REAL sex ed.
people here really need to teach proper usage of proetection etc etc.

for example, after a sexual assult
"If you go to an emergency room after a sexual assault, that emergency room is not required by law to give you information about EC or to give EC to you if you ask for it."

that is in florida.

more information on the sexual education program in florida!

Do I have the right to learn about sexuality and HIV/AIDS in school in Florida?
Sexuality Education
Florida state law requires sexuality education. Local school boards decide which subjects this education must cover and the grade level in which topics are introduced.
Abstinence must be covered as the only completely effective protection against unplanned pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and HIV/AIDS.
Teaching about contraceptives, such as condoms, the Pill, or the Patch, is not required.
Classes must "teach abstinence from sexual activity outside of marriage as the expected standard for all school-age students while teaching the benefits of monogamous heterosexual marriage."
Florida received $10,700,147 in federal funds for abstinence-only-until-marriage programs in Fiscal Year 2006. If you want your school to offer a comprehensive sexuality education class in your school then be sure to learn more at SIECUS about your state and check out the Roadmap. You can make a difference!
HIV/AIDS Education
Florida state law requires HIV/AIDS education. Local school boards decide which subjects this education must cover and the grade level in which topics are introduced.
Abstinence must be covered and stressed as the only completely effective protection against unplanned pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and HIV/AIDS when transmitted sexually.
Teaching about contraceptives, such as condoms, the Pill, or the Patch, is not required.
You do not need your parents’ permission to participate in sexuality education or HIV/AIDS education classes. But your parents can take you out of the classes if they object to what is being taught.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
What I generally see with high school students who have sex is that they are rather distracted. Of course a 16 year old will call themselves mature, but the sad fact is that at those ages, most people are emotionally confused and driven by hormones. Maturity and responsibility are two different things. Maturity to me is self control, and I find that while someone might be responsible in a manner of duties, might not be mature in habits or lifestyle.

Having sex while you are in high school is a very bad thing for one who has so many responsibilities with studies, extracurriculars, work, etc. I mean, come on, why do my homework when I can just go over to my girlfriend's house and have sex? It's this mentality that I have seen many times, but I'm not saying this applies to absolutely everyone. It just happens a lot.

My advice, wait until you have a steady life before getting into all that, or it might get in the way of the important things.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
What I generally see with high school students who have sex is that they are rather distracted. Of course a 16 year old will call themselves mature, but the sad fact is that at those ages, most people are emotionally confused and driven by hormones. Maturity and responsibility are two different things. Maturity to me is self control, and I find that while someone might be responsible in a manner of duties, might not be mature in habits or lifestyle.

Having sex while you are in high school is a very bad thing for one who has so many responsibilities with studies, extracurriculars, work, etc. I mean, come on, why do my homework when I can just go over to my girlfriend's house and have sex? It's this mentality that I have seen many times, but I'm not saying this applies to absolutely everyone. It just happens a lot.

My advice, wait until you have a steady life before getting into all that, or it might get in the way of the important things.

this is extreamly true, but, its like that even without sex.

i have a friend who isn't having sex and has been completly whipped..... that girl is good at what she does... he has been doing worse in school (used to be straight A student.)

but that kind of mentallity is impossible to get rid off.
i get some if i get some, but i don't chase.... and i don't study anyways. :p but i never have so thats just out of bad habbit.

but i totally get your point, and i still think it should be legal, although social frownign upon is not a bad thing, could help out the situation.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
We just need to run it on a case-by-case basis. Have a council of some sort that a kid can come and ask to be evaluated. I mean, some would slip through the cracks but overall it would allow a greater wealth of people into the active world.

And then make it happen automatically at 20. Why? You're no longer a teen. ;)

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
We just need to run it on a case-by-case basis. Have a council of some sort that a kid can come and ask to be evaluated. I mean, some would slip through the cracks but overall it would allow a greater wealth of people into the active world.

And then make it happen automatically at 20. Why? You're no longer a teen. ;)

your not a teen at 18 all ready :p why make it higher?

Prometheus

Reaction score
There are plenty of people who, at 18, really shouldn't be considered an adult. Believe me, I went to school with some.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
There are plenty of people who, at 18, really shouldn't be considered an adult. Believe me, I went to school with some.

those same people probably wouldn't be acting any different at 20 if you raise the bar, no need to punish a majority for a minority.

Prometheus

Reaction score
There's the test idea I had. If they're capable, then they're considered an adult. The raise to 20 was just a suggestion.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
There's the test idea I had. If they're capable, then they're considered an adult. The raise to 20 was just a suggestion.

The case-by-case idea would be very controversial. The "experts" that were chosen to be evaluated would be a huge target of racial profiling organizations, minorities, and the like. What gives someone the right to judge a person based on some meeting?

Plus, how much can you tell about any person, let alone a teenager, from one meeting. This would also cost billions of dollars and still allow insane teenagers to have adult privileges and absolutely well-behaved teenagers, who have a bad today, to be denied their rights.

Prometheus

Reaction score
We use standardized testing already. It would simply be expanding it.

Think end-of-year test where you have to do an essay.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
We use standardized testing already. It would simply be expanding it.

Think end-of-year test where you have to do an essay.

Intelligence, behavioral based rights? Imagine what would happen if you had to take a test in order to vote.. like America used to.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
Most people develop sexual urges in their pre-teens or early teens. This happens to also be an an age where kids are getting a lot of exposure to the celebrity culture (and we all know how sexy they all are). It's no surprise that kids are having sexual interaction early. Instead of teaching this stupid abstinence thing, we should give them the knowledge and tools to decide, and carry out "safe sex".

And I don't want to hear "they shouldn't have sex because they're not smart/emotionally mature enough", because you can't expect these dumb immature kids to practice abstinence either.

Best thing to do is lower the legal age (so we can actually educate younger folks), and teach them in schools (and at home) about it, early.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
in that case lets make it ilegal for crack heads to have sex, and anyone in debt, anyone who is on any government help program, anyone in collage.

Just because you're in debt doesn't mean you're not capable of upbringing a child. I'm in a ton of debt, mostly because I bought a house and car, so there is no way whatsoever that I could raise a child? I know a lot of people that do cocaine and most of them are pretty good parents. On the otherhand I know a lot of well-off, clean people who suck, as well as a few people that were in high school when they had a child, and yet still graduated on time and is in college, while raising their kids pretty well.

becouse if they have to rely on the government for help, it apperent they cant rais a child. O:

I'm on a government help program, and even without it I would imagine I could still raise a child.

what your saying is just as logical as only allowing people who are well off have sex

mmm.... no. I am saying that there is a level of maturity, not a level of prosperity.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
Just because you're in debt doesn't mean you're not capable of upbringing a child. I'm in a ton of debt, mostly because I bought a house and car, so there is no way whatsoever that I could raise a child? I know a lot of people that do cocaine and most of them are pretty good parents. On the otherhand I know a lot of well-off, clean people who suck, as well as a few people that were in high school when they had a child, and yet still graduated on time and is in college, while raising their kids pretty well.

I'm on a government help program, and even without it I would imagine I could still raise a child.

mmm.... no. I am saying that there is a level of maturity, not a level of prosperity.

my understanding of what you said was this
getting pregnant at a early age will be a struggle.

and most people claim that struggle is for money etc etc.
so i said that if its a money situation, where they would be hard with their income, theres plenty of responsible people in the same situation in there 30s.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Getting pregnant at any age is a struggle. It's lots of work to raise a child.

While money is a limiting factor and an increased amount can help, it doesn't determine the kid. Nor the parent.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
Getting pregnant at any age is a struggle. It's lots of work to raise a child.

While money is a limiting factor and an increased amount can help, it doesn't determine the kid. Nor the parent.

thats what i was trying to emply, and failed at -_-

nabbig2

Reaction score
Hmmmm this is a tough one.

(Legal age limit here in Us is 18)

One one side, I don't really give a fuck about what people do in their bed room. We want to have sex well before we turn 18, and we do it anyway.

Now the problem is that teenage parents 9/10 times are not mentally and/or financially prepaed to raise a baby. And then those babies are sent to places to be cared for, and this ofcourse is a waste of money when it can be prevented.

In all honesty, I'm fine with the age limit, especially considering that it can't be very well enforced always. If people younger than that age have sex then good for them, no problems. But if they have a child, then it's their problem, but then again it is also their fault.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Sex needs to be explained. Not shunned.

In Florida if you're 16 or 17, you can have sex with anyone up to the age of 23.

Code:
    * age of consent 16: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia
    * age of consent 17: Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Texas
    * age of consent 18: Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.