Let five die or kill one?

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Before reading on please make sure you read and understood the debating rules.

I'm taking debating to a slightly different angle this time.

I saw in the hive workshop a debate that seemed interesting (original thread can be found here) to me.

donut3.5 said:
There was an interesting question that I read a few years ago, and I'd like to see what everyone would do in this scenario.

You are walking, and hear a train coming. You see five people walking along the tracks, listening to headphones, so they cannot hear the train. You are standing right next to the lever that will switch the direction of the train to avoid those five people. However, on the alternate track, there is one person walking, unable to hear the train.
If you switch the lever, you actively murder a person, however, if you do not, you stand by and let five people die, when you know you could have saved them all.

So what do you do?
--donut3.5--

In other words if you are forced to let 5 men die or actively kill 1 man, what would you do?

Is letting someone die the same as actively killing him? Can you interfere in something like this, do you have the right to decide which ones would die? Expanding the debate, does it matter who the people are (for example 5 criminals versus 1 child etc.)?

And for arguement's sake let's use our imagination and say that you must either let five be killed or kill the other one, nothing more, nothing less.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Lets preform some basic math.

5-1= 3

theremore, 5 > 1.

I would have to switch the track and have to trian hit the 1 person instead of the 5. In my mind, killnig one to save 5 doesn't seem that bad. Let five die to save 1 does. now, things get complicated if that was you on the other track.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I would think it would be good to switch it but I would be too shocked to do it...

Reaction score
Pineaple -
It wouldn't be complicated to me if I was on the other track, I could value my life and then value the life of other people.

Now, What if the one guy on the tracks is one step from finding a cure from HIV or Cancer, and those other five are just drunk bums?

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Pineaple -
It wouldn't be complicated to me if I was on the other track, I could value my life and then value the life of other people.

Now, What if the one guy on the tracks is one step from finding a cure from HIV or Cancer, and those other five are just drunk bums?

Ok lets do some common sense here, why would a 5 group of people all listening to their music doing walking on the tracks? I rather just let them die out of stupidity.

>And for arguement's sake let's use our imagination and say that you must either let five be killed or kill the other one, nothing more, nothing less.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
I would do nothing, although it would haunt me for life whatever I did

ReVolver

Reaction score
I would do nothing, although it would haunt me for life whatever I did

Why would you say that? Typically it will haunt you if you caused it, but you can regret it, if that's what you mean.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
As Amfidamant said, it depends on the people.

There is a difference between trying to save 5 people (by yelling or whatever) or actively killing one or possibly more in the train (by switching the lewer). When in doubt, apply Brannigan's Law.

sqrage

Reaction score
>>There is a difference between trying to save 5 people (by yelling or whatever) or actively killing one or possibly more in the train (by switching the lewer).

You're not yelling, you're switching the lever.

And you're not killing anyone on the train, you're killing the guy on the other track. [re-read the story. :p]

>>Can you throw rocks at them? Rail roads always have rocks to help stable the tracks.

And for arguement's sake let's use our imagination and say that you must either let five be killed or kill the other one, nothing more, nothing less.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
It depends on the people as others have said.

If you don't know who they are or anything about them I would save the five. Or I would break out my Superman costume and stop the train in one epic punch.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Well, If I pull the lever, most likely I'll go to jail for killing the one man (That's how messed up laws are). If I don't do anything, I really wouldn't mind, there's many other things I can do, and who knows, maybe even save more lives.

Why wouldn't I save the group of 5? Well what in the world are they doing walking around traintracks (that aren't abandoned) while listening to music. If I save them THIS time, who's gonna save them tommorow? Also serves as a lesson to others.

ReVolver

Reaction score
If you put it that way, it will depend on the group of people if that 1 person was young (0-10) and the other people are older I would rather save the young.

esb

Reaction score
Wat if the group of five have families? Other sons and daughters? A wife? What if he's the only source of income to his family? All this things, and many more, apply when taking/giving life.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Wat if the group of five have families? Other sons and daughters? A wife? What if he's the only source of income to his family? All this things, and many more, apply when taking/giving life.

You don't know any of this. Sure you can guess by what their are wearing and their accessories but I personally don't think that is very accurate.

I think Pineapple put it well enough. 5 > 1. Therefore 5 people are more important.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I would let fate take its course :p
If your on the railroad and don't hear a train coming, your ether deaf, (why would you be listening to music then) or you would be stupid.

Anyway another question...
Your hiding from a group of soldiers with a few neighbors and such. Yet a baby is crying and if you do not stop it. You and the rest of the group would be found. IF you were the only one left who could do it.
Would you suffocate the child to save the group. Or let the child live an let the soldiers find you?

Its almost the same question... Take one life to safe more.

esb

Reaction score
You don't know anything about the 5 people, or the other 1. Except that based one what they are doing, they are pretty dumb.

I agree with Mizuio, I would just let what was going to happen, happen.

I am no one to choose who I take life from, or who I let live.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I took the liberty of making a picture in paint to demonstrate what this scene looks like. I then added a thing w/ photoshop.
thishelpzr5.jpg

I would pull the lever, though I would make sure to not get any prints or something on the level as the US's laws are retarded.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.