Technology LG is building a washing machine that doesn't use water

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Still not charmed by LG's robo-vacuum? Well, the Korean electronics manufacturer has plenty more appliances up its capacious sleeves, including a washing machine that won't require water. Alas, Senior Vice President for LG Electronics Home Appliance Division, Kevin Cha, wasn't willing to divulge to us exactly how this laundry magic trick will be performed, or whether it'll be totally waterless rather than just virtually waterless -- it's still in the early stages of development and is (for now) a trade secret.

What we do know is that another LG model, the Styler that was unveiled at CES this year, can already 'freshen' clothes without detergent or water. This, too, is also going to pick up a feature upgrade, with the company set to add some kind of ironing functionality to the upright clothes cabinet soon. LG is also looking at an ecological re-imagining of the refrigerator, with a prototype that can keep itself cool for six hours without any power assistance. In general, LG says it's focusing on next-generation smart appliances in a big way next year. Hopefully, those plans will include some of the interesting patents we've picked up recently -- and wine.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck with that .
Well duh, I'd really loved to have that. It will save so much water bills in the long run, but the electric bills will stay the same, if not, probably a bit expensive.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Yeah it would be expensive. And do they really get clean this way? lol
You can, if you want, put your cloths into a freezer overnight then iron it in the next morning for clean cloths. I've read this in an Article about a guys who didn't wash his cloths for 14 months :D I didn't try it out myself.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You can, if you want, put your cloths into a freezer overnight then iron it in the next morning for clean cloths. I've read this in an Article about a guys who didn't wash his cloths for 14 months :D I didn't try it out myself.
They dont get clean this way. They just stop smelling as bad as they did before.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Why would that make it clean? Dirt is not bond to bacteria. But smell is.
I'll give you that. But if you don't dirty your cloths in that sence, then to put the cloths in the freezer would be enough to make it "clean"

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll give you that. But if you don't dirty your cloths in that sence, then to put the cloths in the freezer would be enough to make it "clean"
If you dont get them dirty why would you need to wash them anyways?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
put the cloths in the freezer would be enough to make it "clean"
Hmm NO! The bacteria will return. Freezing only keeps them from multiplying, and won't clean them, the dirt is still there! But, go ahead, wear them! At your own risk!

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if you just "freeze" your clothes in the freezer, think of the ketchup stains and juice drips. After killing the bacteria by "freezing" them, and then ironing them, you still have your stains, and would probably "melt" onto/into the clothes because of the iron.

A typical white but food-stained cloth going through the process mentioned will only "damage" the stained area of the cloth. I would not recommend the process, unless it is proven that the stains can be removed during the process.

I'd love to be in the wrong, but once again, I like SCIENCE.

Proof of what I mean.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I have hard time believing in the results.
But that would be very impressive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.