linked lists, +rep for help

Dirac

Reaction score
That allocation method looks almost exactly as the one I use in my LinkedListModule, except for the [ljass]else[/ljass], remember that after [ljass]return[/ljass] everything else is skipped, so there's no need for it, also it wont compile unless it returns something at the end of the function, in your case it doesn't

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
ok i finally understand, and there are so many different rigid requirements for compilation, i did not know that you MUST have a return at the end regardless of what returns you might have in if/else statements and until recently i also did not know that local variables must have a value on declaration but globals do not have to, and struct variables can not...

thats where my jass knowledge is most limited and im sure most of it will come with more experience

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
>local variables must have a value on declaration
>thats where my jass knowledge is most limited and im sure most of it will come with more experience

If you just take the time to read some tutorials about jass you would not have to wait "most of it to come with experience"...

Introduction to JASS by Vexorian
"The syntax for making a local variable inside a function is the following:

local <VARIABLE TYPE> <VARIABLE NAME>

Optionally you can initiate the local variable with a value"

Same thing goes for vJass or any other thing/knowledge.

GFreak45

Reaction score
so
JASS:
function Example takes nothing returns nothing
    local real a //works? i was told it does not because it has no value and causes the thread to crash
    local real b = 0 //works
endfunction

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
both work... but a will not work if you try to add/reduce/multiple/divide something...

you can easily do:

JASS:
local real a

set a = 1 // this will work

// ----------
local real b

set b = b + 1 // this will not work because b is not set&#039;d and b value is nothing

GFreak45

Reaction score
im not worried about setting them, that i have fine, more worried about the declaration, i guess whoever it was that told me was just talking out their ass

JASS:
function Example takes nothing returns nothing
    local real a //is this the same as
    local real a = null //this?
endfunction

Dirac

Reaction score
reals can't be null, what Laiev said is the answer, how are you still confused after his post?

Magthridon96

Reaction score
static arrays are way better than non-static variables.
I like them because they confuse people :D
Well, at least Nestharus and Bribe can read them well :p

GFreak45

Reaction score
i understood his post i never knew reals could not be null, and i guess i should have been specific on variable type, i was meaning a generic variable type

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
what does the .allocate method do when it is not defined in the struct?

and in your private method you dont define this
do you not have to?

Since it doesn't [ljass]extend array[/ljass], you don't need to define your own .allocate method.

It's a non-static method, meaning you're not supposed to define this, as it takes an instance o.o

GFreak45

Reaction score
i have another issue, i have been getting a syntax error with this:

JASS:
struct Example extends array

private method allocate takes nothing returns thistype //this is what gives me the syntax error: you can not redeclare the allocate method
        return some number
    endmethod

endstruct

should this be Allocate instead of allocate?

and this also gives me a syntax error:

JASS:
    private static integer array recycleList

private static method exampleMethod takes nothing returns nothing
        if (recycleList[0] = 0) then //this gives me a generic syntax error, do i need to set this to 0 on init?
        endif
    endmethod
endstruct

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
i have another issue, i have been getting a syntax error with this:

JASS:

private method allocate takes nothing returns thistype //this is what gives me the syntax error: you can not redeclare the allocate method
        return some number
    endmethod

endstruct

Doesn't give me a syntax error. Maybe you have .allocate method declared

and this also gives me a syntax error:

JASS:
    private static integer array recycleList

private static method ExampleMethod takes nothing returns nothing
        if (recycleList[0] = 0) then //this gives me a generic syntax error, do i need to set this to 0 on init?
        endif
    endmethod
endstruct

You forgot an extra = sign. Comparison should be [ljass]if recycleList[0] == 0 then[/ljass]

GFreak45

Reaction score
oh i did not realize thats required, i have seen people post things with 1 all the time, ill do that from now on
and the if statement was in my allocation method, would that be what got me the error?
and no i do not have another allocation method in the struct... methods: allocate, deallocate, removeLink, addLink
struct extends array

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
oh i did not realize thats required, i have seen people post things with 1 all the time, ill do that from now on
and the if statement was in my allocation method, would that be what got me the error?
and no i do not have another allocation method in the struct... methods: allocate, deallocate, removeLink, addLink
struct extends array

Then probably because of your comparison error? I tried compiling your above code and works fine. As for the equal sign, only use == for comparisons. For setting values, you still use a single = as per normal.

GFreak45

Reaction score
thanks for all the help ayanami, very few people excell in explaining anything using convergent language, but you definately are one

GFreak45

Reaction score
what is the difference between static and non static? i know static variables can have arrays because they are essentially a normal variable saved inside a struct and are private to that struct (i think), is it that non static methods are methods that [ljass]return thistype[/ljass] or something? or is it that they cant be called from outside a struct?

EDIT: nvm read the static/non-static methods in ayanami's tutorial

so static does not have an instance associated with it, unless you define a variable as the instance, but the non-statics are refered to with an instance already IE: [ljass]call Example[index].nonStaticMethod[/ljass]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.