Linux Server Help

Reaction score
Alright, I plan on creating an application that will extract data from an MPQ.

The problem is I'm using a linux server, so I don't really know the limitations of what I can use ect..

I plan on using sfmpq for the application, though I have a few questions once it's made.

How do I get the program on my server (the server is not ran on my machine), do I just upload it to the main directory of my server?

Secondly, will I be able to execute the .exe (can linux run that extension). I have used linux before, but I had to run exe through WINE, not sure how it's done on the server.

Third, how will I execute it? I was told to use shell_exec, but could someone give me an example?

Thanks..

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
How do I get the program on my server (the server is not ran on my machine), do I just upload it to the main directory of my server?
You upload the program to your server. Pick a spot in your home directory, or in a public executable location, upload the file, and make sure the file has execute permissions.

Secondly, will I be able to execute the .exe (can linux run that extension). I have used linux before, but I had to run exe through WINE, not sure how it's done on the server.
If the file is a windows EXE, you need to use WINE.
If the file is a Linux (ELF) executable, then you can run it directly.

Third, how will I execute it? I was told to use shell_exec, but could someone give me an example?
I would use exec() unless you specifically need functionality of the shell, in which case shell_exec() would be your best option.

Reaction score
If the file is a Linux (ELF) executable, then you can run it directly.

I would have no idea how to compile an ELF program..

How would I compile a (C(++)) linux executable on a Windows machine?

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
One thing you have to learn about linux is that file extension often doesn't matter.

I could run a file with a .txt extension as a shell script.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
One thing you have to learn about linux is that file extension often doesn't matter.

I could run a file with a .txt extension as a shell script.

or you can run a file w/o any extension at all I can have a file called:

file

file.o

file.file

file.c

but all 4 are different if I made them all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.