Linux versus Windows for programming

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I have read a lot on the subject on the internet. 90% of the things I've read seem like utter bullshit, so I am asking the good people from the helper, what are the advantages for programming under windows and under linux ?

ty <3

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Note: Keep in mind, I am only a student developer, and have done little in Linux, So I may have a biased opinion, but ill try to be open minded.

Both
Stable OS - From my experience (since windows 7).
Fast - with in 10 seconds I can boot my computer, get to my desktop, and load Visual studios. (Windows), I figure linex can do the same, maybe faster but not gona be much of a factor for me.

Not a mac. (LOL, I had to add that)

Programming Advantage for Linux:
Open OS, so if your have a real reason to mess with it you can.
Lots of free Software to program, and some huge development kits.

Free OS! Lighter OS.

Programming Advantage for Windows:
OS Cost Money. assuming you built your own computer, else its nommaly bundled with most computers you buy today.

Lots of free software, and lots of huge development kits, like visual studio pro. for a cost.
OS since windows 7+, has been pretty dang stable.

Your working in a Environment , that more people use, so assuming your programming for windows, its a perfect place to test your programs.

Direct-X, another option you can use when programming (that naively runs on windows).

In General Much better support for hardware, as hardware makers want to be sure that the majority of people who get there hardware can use it. (thus, make sure it works on windows first)

Last Note
For me programming is about getting the job done, as a solo developer that means I am going to be using a higher end language like c# or java, and for circuital functions using c++, or unsafe c# code. Only if it makes that much of a factor in the program I am working on.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I like programming in windows more, the programs (especially visual studio) are more developed, but I also use a headless linux machine to run stuff that just wasn't made for windows (yes there are ways of emulating linux on a windows machine, but I just prefer a separate, dedicated linux machine (currently a raspberry pi)) - for example a free SFTP server is nearly impossible to find for windows, yet exists standard with most linux distros or can be easily installed

in short I prefer running programs in linux (less complicated to run stuff), but making them in windows (benefits from all the extras windows has to offer) - hopefully that makes sense

P.S. am also looking at getting a mac/hackintosh just for iOS apps

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Since i have read you are going to program in java it doesnt make any difference.
One great developement enviroment for java (which i use too) is eclipse. It works on all OS.
Netbeans is too a very well known IDE. I dont know if there is a linux version for it though since i dont use it but there is a version for windows.

Basically i dont think the question is really important. For programming the OS you are using is not important at all.
The OS only matters for personal preferences and appearance.

Artificial

Without Intelligence
Reaction score
I would say the most important factor when choosing your OS is the availability and usability of tools you need. If you plan on programming for .NET, for example, you might want to go with Windows as (based on my experience) using any Microsoft products without using only Microsoft products is quite a hell. This is also related to the availability of help for when you run into problems. Based on my experience finding help for Node.js is usually easier for Linux (it's always been available for Linux, but only for a while on Windows), whereas finding help for .NET is easier for Windows.

The second most important factor would be your target platform. If you plan on making desktop apps for Windows users, using anything but Windows for development only results in additional steps in your development/testing flow - in the worst case you'll end up rebooting your machine several times a day or buying another computer for testing if your computer cannot run Windows in a VM. If you're developing websites to be run on Linux servers, you might as well use a Linux machine for development to get familiar with how the command line works - you'll pretty surely need it to debug the server at some point.

I work as a web developer, and we deploy to Linux machines. Personally I'm far more productive on a Linux machine due to the difference in command line friendliness: I manage programs and developer libraries as well as manage the git repository and push the code to the server on the command line. Doing these things on the command line is simple, flexible and time saving since I don't need to manage all the windows for doing different things - using graphical programs I'd need one window for managing the git repository, one for pushing changes to the server, one for my editor, etc. Not to mention to this date I have no idea about how to install the development libraries I need using a graphical interface. Additionally, the ability to connect to the servers via SSH and use the command line for debugging or running other administrative tasks effortlessly is priceless.

If you plan on using Java, as Accname said, the OS isn't hugely important in terms of tools nor target platform due to Java's cross-platform nature (and the same goes for other cross-platform languages). If you can, install both operating systems and get familiar with their strengths and weaknesses for what you do by using them for some months. Every developer's needs are unique - the only correct answer to this question is your own one.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I can't say that I understand fully the picture now, but you guys have given me a pretty good idea of the situation.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help : )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.