List of recommended Windows/Mac/Linux applications and software

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4RK_G4ND4LF

Reaction score
irfan view does not work with very big gifs (5mb+)
firefox works fine though

I was scrolling through this list and I tested pretty much all of these programms oO

I'd like to add GOM media player and PageNest to download complete websites (there might be better programms for doing this task but I didn't have time to test more)

also what about free games like battle for wesnoth or league of legends?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
irfan view does not work with very big gifs (5mb+)
firefox works fine though

I recommend Ulead GIF Animator 5 for the job. I can only link to you CNET, since the company had discontinued the product. It's still is a powerhouse. It's categorized in "Image Editing", since it's for editing GIF files.

I'd like to add GOM media player and PageNest to download complete websites (there might be better programms for doing this task but I didn't have time to test more)

GOM Player and PageNest has been added. Note that GOM Player stands for GOMlab Online Movie Player. It falls in the "Internet TV" catagory. PageNest has its own category: "Offline Browser".

also what about free games like battle for wesnoth or league of legends?

Those belong to Games in the Entertainment section.

I needed something that could easily move from one to the next, otherwise any browser would work

I'm guessing any image hosting sites will do the job nicely.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
May I make a suggestion..

Anti-Virus
0. Common Sense

Audio Player
0. VLC

Benchmarking
0. Crysis (Proprietary)

Disk Cleaning
0. CCleaner

Disk Defragmentation
0. MyDefrag

File Deletion
0. Spybot - Search & Destroy

File Transfer Protocol
0. FileZilla

SSH/SFTP
0. Tunnelier

Firewalls
0. Router

PDF File Viewer
0. Evince

Image Viewing
a*. Evince

Spyware Removal
0. Spybot - Search & Destroy

Video Player
0. VLC

*If you deal with a lot of obscure image formats, perhaps not.

I vouch for all of these as the comparably perfect solution for the non-extremist, and possibly for the extremist.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
after effects should be added for video editing (Adobe, paid)

xmarks is going to end this year, so it's not really worth setting up anymore, firefox and chrome both have their own built-in sync functions now

the IDE's should probably be arranged by what languages they can compile

I don't think notepad++ fits under PC utilities.. but I don't really know where else it would go either

and how about a section for android/iphone apps?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
May I make a suggestion..

Crysis is more or less a benchmarking hybrid game...It may not be able to run on older computers. I like to keep it more generic.

As for Tunnelier, I added it according to your category name you gave. Added Evince as PDF Viewer, under Linux OS.

after effects should be added for video editing (Adobe, paid)

That is in the Adobe Essentials, under Other Suites section. And I have removed Notepad++ from PC Utilites. It was a copy/paste mistake from me, as it's already in Text Editor category. :p

and how about a section for android/iphone apps?

You can make a thread for that one, and see if the mods notice it. :) I wanted to keep Other Platforms separated from PC Platforms, as there are too many operating systems out there. Multiply that by the number of softwares written specifically for them.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
hmm, well im in the need of a free program that lets me watch blu-ray movies again... are there any?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
from the above, it first requires purchasing AnyDvd HD which can decrypt the movie - I was hoping to avoid having to buy anything, are there any other alternatives?

A bit of researching gives this:

Apart from a few approved Windows programs, like PowerDVD, there aren’t a lot of options for playing Blu-ray out of the box on a PC. No one has written any open-source software that can play back Blu-ray movies, nor is there any software library capable of decoding the DRM encryption on-the-fly yet.

Source.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
so.. right now for dropbox there is a dropquest that you can do to increase your storage room (beyond the normal means of paying for more/using fb/twitter, or giving/recieveing an invite/ reading their tutorial) - you can get an extra gb of space by playing an internet game (start here)

P.S. finishing this is rather hard, so here is some help

and sorry, but I don't think anyone here will be winning anything beyond the 1gb of space.. this was my result

You placed #13066 with a time of 10:10:28

and I cheated after the earth puzzle..

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I've been using Clementine as a music player for a while now after loving it on Linux. It works for Windows, Mac, and Linux, is open source, and has some pretty useful library management stuff, such as converting music, and a mass-organize library option. It can automatically sync the library with folder(s), and has built-in Last.FM support. Last, it does not have any plug-in support (that I know of), making it somewhat minimalist and fast.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgot an 's' in Macs. Don't worry, that's just a minor typo, unless the entire paragraph's meaning is completely off...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I would like to add sandboxie to the list of windows programs, it lets you "sandbox" programs that you don't trust (i.e. install this "coupon printer" that comes with spyware in order to print coupons, or try this program to get xxx credits) and then run them with limited permissions, and even remove them without a trace - but without the hassle of having to do it inside a virtual machine - there is a free version with a nag screen at start-up after 30 days, and a paid version without it and some technical support (the lifetime license is only $21 atm.. much cheaper then any paid anti-virus anyways, and probably more effective)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.