Local Unit Groups?

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been looking under every brick and stone, but haven't been able to find the help I need for my spell triggers. I am using the normal GUI for my spell triggers and use various custom scripts to fill in the void of my lacking jass knowledge.

Using Custom Scripts I've been able to make local variables in the normal GUI such as "local location = udg_temp_point_variable" for spells spanning over time.

At the moment I am triggering a Blizzard spell that has the addition it creates a dummy unit with a slowing aura and turns the affected units blue. For this I need to use local groups, which apparently works differently than the normal way of linking local variables to temporary variables. I am wondering, if anyone could provide me a trigger example (not doing anything in specific) of:

- How you can load units into a temporary group variable from a local variable.
- How you can update the units present in a local unit group using a temporary variable.

My own example looks somewhat like this (which is wrong):
Trigger:
  • Actions
    • Custom script: local group blizzard_group
    • (Other Actions Left Out)
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within temp_real of temp_point and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to temp_group
        • Animation - Change (Picked unit)'s vertex coloring to (25.00%, 25.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency
    • Custom script: set blizzard_group = udg_temp_group
    • Custom script: call DestroyGroup (udg_temp_group)
    • Wait x.xx seconds
    • Custom script: set udg_temp_group = blizzard_group
    • (Other Actions Left Out)
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in temp_group and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • (Distance between (Position of (Picked unit)) and temp_point) Greater than temp_real
          • Then - Actions
            • Unit Group - Remove (Picked unit) from temp_group
            • Animation - Change (Picked unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

My old mapping friend says the custom script I use only link the groups, but don't create a proper local group. Sadly he can't remember how to either. Could any of you guys help, please?

Rushhour

Reaction score
He's right.
You would need to change some things:
Custom script: local group blizzard_group=CreateGroup()
that creates a new group that is empty

And then look up the action "Group add Group", this should add all units from one group to your group without losing any data for one group.

You are only "linking" the handles. That means you have a finger that points at your units. This finger is called temp_group. Then you have another finger called blizzard_group that points at your first finger, to make it visual :D

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Edit: I finally got it working. The Group Add Group action worked perfectly, thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.