Logo - Review/Advice Wanted

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been working on the logo for my website and I wanted to get your opinion/advice.

Logo2.png

Background:
The name of the website is Victim of Fate Productions. Because of our strong association with "Fate" we decided to go with the mythology of the Fates(You know, the three witches with one eye and the sheers that cut the threads of life). We thought it would be clever to introduce the sheers as the "V" in our acronym and have a thread winding through the letters to be cut.

My Concerns:
- The acronym is VoF, but the sheers make an X form. I've tried to draw attention to the blades but I'm not sure if it is obvious enough.

- Artistically I'm not very gifted and honestly I'm curious how professional this logo looks. Is it as cheap and amateurish as I feel it is or am I just being overly critical of myself? Be brutal if you need to, I don't want to produce something half-baked.

Thanks! :cool:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say it does indeed not look very professional. But I personally do not have a problem with that. Sometimes people have to embrace their amateur skills.
Having a website which is not 100% perfect but, on the other hand, 20% self-made leaves a totally different impression, and I think a positive one.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
In my opinion the logo does not look really professional, but it doesn't look cheap or amateurish either. It reminds me of old-school comics from my country, with a rather rugged look and with a tendency to mimic real materials as close as possible.

I quite like it, honestly.

For the V, it definitely didn't make me think of an X, but it didn't quite made me thing of a V either. My suggestion would be to make the sharp part (the actual V) of the blades some color close to your letters, or make the letters closer to grey and make the V stand out more (again, the sharp parts, the lines).

I would also add some kind of background, or something to encase the logo in some way. Currently it looks more like a simple icon and I think something like this would make it stand out like an actual logo. It doesn't have to be too obvious.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
I would say it does indeed not look very professional. But I personally do not have a problem with that. Sometimes people have to embrace their amateur skills.
Having a website which is not 100% perfect but, on the other hand, 20% self-made leaves a totally different impression, and I think a positive one.
That certainly leaves conflicting feelings for me but it is comforting to know that a certain hand-made quality can leave a positive impression. :cool:

In my opinion the logo does not look really professional, but it doesn't look cheap or amateurish either. It reminds me of old-school comics from my country, with a rather rugged look and with a tendency to mimic real materials as close as possible.

I quite like it, honestly.

For the V, it definitely didn't make me think of an X, but it didn't quite made me thing of a V either. My suggestion would be to make the sharp part (the actual V) of the blades some color close to your letters, or make the letters closer to grey and make the V stand out more (again, the sharp parts, the lines).

I would also add some kind of background, or something to encase the logo in some way. Currently it looks more like a simple icon and I think something like this would make it stand out like an actual logo. It doesn't have to be too obvious.

Hm I think you are right, bringing the blue into the blades would demonstrate that there is a letter to be seen there and not just an image.

Should the border be form fitting do you think? something that outlines the whole shape but doesn't take on its own shape (like a box or a circle/oval)?

Thanks for the comments guys, Great friendly advice is why I still come back to TH even after 8 years of being a member. ;)

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Here's what I had in mind (sorry for editing your image, hope you don't mind :)).

Logo2.png

This is ugly though, I'm sure you'll come up with something better :D.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
I don't mind at all, visual aids are how my mind prefers communicating information!

I like it, I wasn't sure a circle would work but it kinda brings everything together.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Where will it be placed/used? Is it going to be on the homepage of your site? I think one of the main things to mull over is how the colors of the logo/the style will fit in with the rest of your page.

Also, I'm curious as to why there is red on the scissors, unless the fates work as part-time butchers. :p Jokes aside, it is a cool piece. If it helps, I saw it as a V before I even considered it to be an X.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
/Agree with what's been said.

I don't think I considered it an "X" at first either which is good. But I guess the "V" and the "of" seem separate, and yeah, the color change as suggested might make it flow together better. Like making the "V" part of the scissors more obviously a letter.

Besides that, it's cool. I like the style it has, it's definitely its own unique one. Doesn't look unprofessional, you just have to, as Purge said, make sure that it fits in with the rest of the website. Colors and style-wise.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
Where will it be placed/used? Is it going to be on the homepage of your site? I think one of the main things to mull over is how the colors of the logo/the style will fit in with the rest of your page.

Also, I'm curious as to why there is red on the scissors, unless the fates work as part-time butchers. :p Jokes aside, it is a cool piece. If it helps, I saw it as a V before I even considered it to be an X.
It's going to be used in a banner on the top of the page, I don't have the new theme yet which means I can partially design it around the logo.

As for the red, I wanted to bring some color to the V and didn't even think of bringing in the blue to tie things together. The "blood" was just a way to accentuate.

/Agree with what's been said.

I don't think I considered it an "X" at first either which is good. But I guess the "V" and the "of" seem separate, and yeah, the color change as suggested might make it flow together better. Like making the "V" part of the scissors more obviously a letter.

Besides that, it's cool. I like the style it has, it's definitely its own unique one. Doesn't look unprofessional, you just have to, as Purge said, make sure that it fits in with the rest of the website. Colors and style-wise.

I'll do my best to make the style of the website feel the same and the color palette should match because I am quite fond of the color palette used on the logo. :cool:

I will update when I get some more work done, Holiday week is eating up all my time with prep work!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Why not place a 3d shadow as a V behind the scissor blades?
It's Just an idea!

WastedSavior

Reaction score
Logo3.png

Here is the update with some of the things suggested. What do we think?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry man, but I am still not seing the V, or at least, I wouldnt if I didnt know beforehand that its supposed to be a V.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
1. Maybe make the handles smaller, so the blades stand out in comparison? Making the blue on the blades as thick as the other letters would connect them better too.
2. I felt the blood was related to the "Victim" part of the name. It seemed more fitting.
3. The circle around the logo could be the stand-in for the O. Not sure how that would work out.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I don't see a "V" either, only a scissor. So at first I thought the logo just said "of".
Have you tried playing around with other colours than light blue? I believe red is the best colour to catch the eye, you could even incorporate some blood on the scissor then.

Also In my opinion the "F" needs to be bigger than the "o". It's "Victims of Fate" right?
Because as said, all I see right now is the word "of".
Acronyms often leaves "of" and "and" as small letters: "WoW", "StarCraft: WoL", "WarCraft 3: RoC" and so on.

I like the reasoning behind the logo.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
LogoTest3.png

Not sure if it is much of an improvement. I made the color on the blades slightly thicker and changed it to red to see if it would make it pop more.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
Ah zoidberg, you are so right. I should stick to things I am good at. Like conning one of you people into doing it for me. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.