Looking for Mappers to Build Team

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking to build a team of experienced modders and mappers to build maps and mods for Starcraft II.
Our goal is to bring high-quality, fun, and premium maps to battle.net, as well as provide new modders a chance to join projects and gain experience.

Whether you come from modding WC3, or are brand-new to the modding scene, you'll be more than welome to join up and start making great maps!

We're currently looking for people to fill the following positions:
Terraining/Level Design:
As a Terrainer/Level Designer, you'll be in charge of creating the various landscapes used within the map.

Requirements:
Ability to create landscapes of any size.
Good sense of doodad/foliage placement.
Ability to take a partial-landscape and complete it.
Ability to cooperate with other designers to complete a goal.
Good sense of teamwork.

Data Editing:
Being a Data Editor, you'll be in charge of creating all the units, buildings, doodads, abilities and such used in our maps.

Requirements:
Good working knowledge of the Data Editor.
Ability to create complex spells.
Ability to cooperate with Terrain/Level Designers and Trigger/Scripters.
Good sense of teamwork.

Trigger/Scripters.
Your job, being a trigger/scripter will be to create the various events used in the game, as well as cooperate with UI Designers anad Data Editors to achive efficent, usable code.

Requirements:
Good working knowledge of the GUI triggering system is a must.
Good knowledge of the custom script (Galaxy) is helpful.
Ability to cooperate with Data Edtiors.
Ability to create detailed and useful comments within the code.

Knowledge of all common datatypes is a must, and knowledge of the more uncommon datatypes is helpful.

UI Design:
To us, it is important to have a unique UI in our maps.
So for this, were opening a position specifically for this.

Requirements:
Complete understanding of dialogs, UI commands and events, as well as common and "Bank" datatype.
Ability to work with Trigger/Scripters and cooperate to achive usable code:
Fair understanding of GUI, as well as Galaxy.

Concept Artists/Texture Artist:
As a concept artist, your job is to create concepts based on descriptions handed to you by our writers.

Requirements:
Image Editing Software (GIMP or Photoshop, preferably).
Ability to draw and/or sketch in good detail.
Ability to create textures for complete models.
Ability to work with modeler to achive a working model.

Note: We prefer hand-drawn concepts, though ones created using software (Photoshop, GIMP) are acceptable if created using a "trackpad".
Concepts drawn using a mouse are unfortunately unacceptable.

Moderer:
As a modeler, you'll need to create the high-quality models we need for our maps.

Requirements:
Ability to work off of drawn concepts.
Ability to create high-quality models that work within the game.
Ability to work with Concept/Texture artist to create a working model.

Writers:
Your job, as a writer, is to create a detailed plot that we can use for our maps.
Requirements:
Good understanding of the English Language.
Good grammar and spelling skils.
Abiity to work with other writers, and provide constructive critisim to improve the plot.
If your interested, please send me a message either through the forums, or by email at thelifelessone16[at]gmail[dot]com with examples of your work.
Only videos, picutures and/or written material will be accepted.

:thup:

Current members:
Lyerae/TheLifelessOne (me): Writing.
punwisp: Terrain/Level Design.

Advice D.

Reaction score
How many hours are expected a week? I'd be interested in doing data editing, but I wouldn't be able to assemble a portfolio or anything for a week, so all I've really got to show for myself are example maps I made for people here, which unfortunately don't showcase much of my aptitude with the data editor. Still, if the position is still up for grabs around this time next week, I'll put up an application.

Lyerae

Reaction score
We're not really into the whole hours-a-week thing. You could take as long as you'd like, as long as everything is done by a (reasonable) deadline, and you have updates to show every week or so (big or small, just so we know work is being done.)

And there's multiple slots for each position, so you'll be fine. :p

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
I could do some triggering, data editing and terraining.

Though, preferably, I would want to do triggering, as long as there will be a way for me to just type out the code instead of this slow GUI in there right now.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
I'm Familiar with the Data Editor but I haven't tried creating complex spells yet with it.

bobby5589

Reaction score
I could probably help with triggering (preferably UI maybe, I'm enjoying messing with it). I'm pretty decent with GUI and since galaxy is C based I should have a problem there (haven't really had the chance to really test it out).

Also, I can do basic terraining and have basic graphics editing / art skills. Mostly basic things for the art skills though, unfortunately.

I'll see if I can hunt down some of the things I worked on in WC3, but here are some icons I'm almost done with for in SC2. Link

I'm such the jack-of-all-trades guy XP I'd be happy tossing up story ideas too depending on whats going on. :D

Troll-Brain

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have a serious question.
You plan to make premium maps, ok.
Let's imagine you reach your goal.
How will you share the money (if any) between all members of the team ?
Actually it sounds like an utopia or a scam, depends :D

Cookiemaster

Reaction score

Who gives a shit about the money?

The money you MIGHT earn from premium maps will probably be so little that it's hardly worth the time, it's not worth focusing on or putting as a goal.

Troll-Brain

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
That's quite true.
I just ask it basically because he said 'premium', i'm just curious what his plan on this.
Even if it's only a little money i don't see why only one would earn it.

And yes mapmaking is before all an hobbit, ofc if you really want money do something else and get a job.

Reaction score
Who gives a shit about the money?

The money you MIGHT earn from premium maps will probably be so little that it's hardly worth the time, it's not worth focusing on or putting as a goal.

I thought the whole purpose of making premium maps was earning money. So, are you implying that premium maps are hardly worth the time?

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
It's really up to the people involved on how they choose to share it if Blizzard themselves are only going to pay the lead mapper.

Though some people don't really do it for the money.Yes Despite the ugly truth about capitalism there are still people who are willing to make maps because they have fun making,testing them and watching people enjoy them.

bobby5589

Reaction score
It's really up to the people involved on how they choose to share it if Blizzard themselves are only going to pay the lead mapper.

Though some people don't really do it for the money.Yes Despite the ugly truth about capitalism there are still people who are willing to make maps because they have fun making,testing them and watching people enjoy them.

i.e. Us here on The Helper (and I can think of a few people over at the Hive). :D

As a team though, I don't really see the profitably in "premium" maps since troll brought it up. More like something to put towards resources or donation (some cause I suppose).

Lyerae

Reaction score
Ah, too many posts! I'm offline for one day, and everyone replies! D:

Good question. We'll likely take 10-20% (based on price of the map) for the team (for software, servers, any possible legal costs, etc), and then the rest is split evenly between all the current project members. Pay would come out every 1 month or so, possibly in 5-10-20 dollar increments (based on what the individual chooses).
We'll have to wait and see for this though. Even if it fits Blizzard's quality standards for published maps, it may not fit ours.
Plus we'd like to start small. "Get our name known" kind of thing.

Damn you Lyerae. You're making me want to practice with the Galaxy Editor...

:p

And for anyone wanting to join, please go to our board (Note: It's still under construction), and post a topic (with some examples of your work) in the recruitment board. If we like your work, we'll add you as a team member, and you'll be able to see the team board. :p

Here's the site: http://gamercraft.org/sc2dev/forums/

punwisp

Reaction score
EDIT:

http://gamercraft.org/board/

New link

We decided that it would be better to change the board to our existing board, so we that the board could hopefully run faster, and that more feedback could be posted by our existing members

XxMayhemxX

Reaction score
i changed my bookmark to the new team board.. ill sign up prolly on saturday..

been busy last 2 days, 2 deaths in the family.. Dad and Grandma on SAME day(Sunday) its been kinda insane... funerals on Wed. and Fri., but Sat i'll have more time online... When im in my room on the computer, im alright(in my own little world), but hanging out in other places in the house, not so much...
And with all the company and playing host to all kinds of ppl stopping by, not alot of time on the net.

As far as the premium thing... I'd assume a little of both maybe... Or like Lyerae said, start off small and build the teams rep.
I personally won't buy any map, tho my life is changing a little bit now, so i may need to open some new accounts at the bank to start taking care of bills here anyways, then i might actually be able to use my paypal account...(not sure how Blizz is going to be doing that)

But however it is decided we do it, im game...
I'm still on as a writer correct?

Lyerae

Reaction score
> I'm still on as a writer correct?

Yes. Take as long as you need to before signing up or anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.