Looking for replacement driver for Samsung N504.

grimm

Cool Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Samsung N504 which did not survive the shipping from Switzerland to Sweden, and have concluded its the dvd driver unit that needs replacing. I have looked at ebay in europe, and can not find anything compatible, at least none that will ship to sweden.

I have no contacts in the small Nuon community aside from Urs in Switzerland who sold me the unit, who has suggested a regular dvd unit on german ebay. However that seller does not ship to sweden, so i can not bid. I also found one on ebay in the uk, but the auction says local pick up only..

Other samsung nuon units have been found on ebay in the US, but these are pretty pricy, and shipping a dvd player from the us to sweden is very expensive where international shipping is even offered, and nothing says it will survive shipping any better than the one from Switzerland, so paying another $250 or so on top of the €340 ive already paid for my N504 is just not an option.

So im reaching out to the community to help me try and locate the Samsung M-104 or M-105 DVD player, which has the very same driver as a replacement, but sweden where i live is a very small market, and few people ever sell these things, they rather throw them away when they buy something new.

Please help me if you can, im growing desperate!

grimm

Cool Member
Reaction score
I found a M-105 on ebay.de a couple of weeks ago which i won, and it finally arrived today. It did survive shipping, but it reads the discs much slower than my PS3 (which is my only other dvd-player aside from the computer), but maybe that is normal for older dvd players?

Anyway, it has breathed some new life into my 5o4, but i will still keep an eye out for cheap replacement drives on ebay, in case this one dies as well in the future.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Excellent that you got it fixed. My Samsung DVDN501 is the slowest machine I have ever seen read a disc. It was a big complaint back when they were released.

grimm

Cool Member
Reaction score
Ah, then it may actually not be as worn as i thought, even though the cover plate has seen its fair share of use. The replacement machine that is. Inside, the "dvd" side looks fresher than my Nuon's "dvd" side though, the board on the left side looking at it from the front. The nuon has ran hot through the years, as the steel cover has been miscoloured from heat on the inside, and several of the white blocky components are also slightly miscoloured.

I did not pay attention to this, but my friend who builds high end audiophile stuff and has repaired and modified countless dvd players took a look at it to check the laser units said it has been very hot, but shouldnt be a real issue for me. He did instantly confirm the lasers were pretty much dead though. He was at first confident he could source a brand new replacement from a chinese supplier, but once he got back home (he lives 9-10h from me and was passing through) that site had dissapeared from the internet and he couldnt find a replacement elsewhere.. So its back to finding m104/5 dvd-players to build up a replacement stock just in case. A couple more should do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.