Major Video Driver Error

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
Ok, well I recently updated my NVidia GeForce 6800 to the newest driver version, 94.24. It worked fine for the first couple days, and now tonight, when I was playing Day of Defeat: Source, a lot of green lines started appearing on my screen. I completely lagged out of the server and was forced to restart.

After that restart, everything seemed to be working fine, and I rejoined the server I had been playing in. But sure enough, it happened again, and I was forced to do a cold restart. This time however, when it went to start back up, the green lines were all over the screen as it showed the different boot screens.
Then, it totally shut down giving me a red screen saying that my video driver had gotten into an infinite loop and my computer had been forced to shut down.

Other Information:
-With any semi-recent NVidia driver, I cannot log in unless I'm in Safe Mode

Things I've Tried:
-I've tried rolling back my driver, doing a system restore, installing older drivers, and completely uninstalling my drivers. When I did that last one, I didn't have to boot in safe for it to work, and it had just loaded basic drivers that Windows had found when it auto-installed the software. However the lines still came up, as seen in the picture below.
*Note- I think the lines are on the picture, but seeing as how I'm doing all this through the actual lines on my screen, I can't really tell.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/hobo_218/Error.jpg

If you need more information please ask.
That should cover it though.

Thanks for the help.

[EDIT]
I just tried removing the card and nothing looked physically wrong with it. I put it back in and everythings still the same, nothing fixed.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
*Note- I think the lines are on the picture, but seeing as how I'm doing all this through the actual lines on my screen, I can't really tell.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/hobo_218/Error.jpg
Yes, there are pink/mauve "="-shaped symbols all over the screen.

I suppose your system isn't overclocked and CPU/GPU temperatures are all fine?

Do you have another computer at hand? If so, give it a try or swap the video cards, to rule out any problem with your current one, especially the mainboard. The pattern isn't random, so my first guess would be a video driver or GPU memory problem.

I had some similar issues on a Parhelia card, but int he end I swapped it for a NV6600.

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
All my temps are fine, and I don't currently have my card overclocked. I did a couple months ago, but I set it back to factory settings.

I do have another computer, however it doesn't have a PCI-E slot to test my 6800 in. My friend has one though and I was already planning on testing mine in his comp and his in my comp tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
-Update-
Well I now have figured out that the only time I can boot regularly is when my computer has no video card driver installed. That happens after I am forced to restart because I have uninstalled them. Any other time, even with the default drivers Windows loads, I cannot boot regularly without getting that red error screen.

Any other ideas?

-Update #2-
Well I just tried one of my friends graphics card's in my computer and there were no problems at all. Worked fine.
Which means it would be my GPU.
Guess it's time for a new graphics card...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.