Make Me Some Tilesets! (Please?)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
As demanding as the title sounds it's completely optional, basically I'm working on a level editor in Flash and decided rather than spend time working on fancy tilesets I should get on with getting the level editor to a fully functional state.

Despite this, I would like some variety in the appearance besides my hideous template tileset and I thought this would be a great opportunity to call on you guys.

Below is the template and some guidelines:

• It's a platformer.
  • You are able to walk on the floor and the ceiling, so take this in to account!
  • Although the template is in JPEG, I'd prefer to have it in a format that supports transparency (PNG, GIF, PSD?); if this is a problem then don't worry.
  • Assuming this project does get somewhere, I'd like to use some/all of these creations (with your permission) in the final product.
  • As for themes, anything that can be identified as some form of environment (again, not a huge concern right now, feel free to experiment as I'm not really at a stage for being serious about this).
  • The editor itself, and thus the template, is incomplete; if you make something with the intention of it being included in the final product, be ready to make additions/adjustments!
  • The tiles themselves are 20x20.

TEMPLATE
TileSet-pro.png

TEST

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6950409/fe/VertigoTileTest.html

Upload your tileset to an image hosting website and paste the link in the bottom-left corner of the file above, then click TEST and begin experimenting!

---

Hint as to what this level editor is actually for (It may mean nothing to a lot of you but don't worry):

2hcjgax.jpg

I don't have any particular deadlines right now, I'll likely implement the tilesets and show screenshots of how they look as soon as they're posted. (If I get bored enough I'll probably upload the prototype along with an option of pasting a link to your tileset to preview it)

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
So what are the shapes? I guess the red is spikes and the blue is ground of some sort?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Yes, here is a better example of what is needed (unfinished but you can fill the gaps)

2lazfgg.jpg

The larger square is the basis of any big rectangular platforms while the remaining blocks are for connection purposes/one-block wide paths. The tops and bottoms will be walked on by the player (and of course you don't need to stick to this square geometry like I have).

I will put something together tomorrow that will allow you to use your tileset to see how it looks, there's no doubt that it will be tricky to get the continuity between tiles perfect first time without this.

EDIT: Here's a better template which should give you an idea of actual floors and so on:

mmwg83.jpg

And when used in the editor:

35mfo02.jpg

Light yellow = Floor, Orange = Wall

Also fairly important: The 6 tiles at the bottom (the diamond shape and the 2 next to that) are currently obsolete, plus I will likely be adding inner-corner blocks to the tileset.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Final update for now, I've added many more blocks to handle corners more effectively (For both walls and spikes), here is the last template you should need for a while (which I'm also updating the first post with):

TileSet-pro.png

And here is the level editor so far (I'm working on a way for people to import their tileset in order to test it)

Press 1 for walls, 2 for spikes and 3 for backgrounds, hold control to delete tiles (this deletes both the wall/spike and the background on a tile, I'm also working on a way to separate the deletion of the two)

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Well I made some tiles...

I'm not sure how the orange parts tile so I left them out for now.
I'm also not completely sure about the bottom left spikes, so I made them like one tile. (Weird since that tile shows up twice)

Anyway, I hope you can use them!

vertigo_tiles.png

Attachments

• vertigo_tiles.png
    vertigo_tiles.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 410

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
The walls (plate thingys) tiles differently than I expected...

Maybe I should try to make each orange part a different color so I can see how it works...

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
All of the wall tiles in the bottom half of the set are made to handle internal corners and all the different combinations that can arise, I'm hoping it will be easier for you to work on your tile-set once I get tile importing to work! (it was pointed out that I've actually missed 5 tiles since that was made but I've added them in an offline version)

Still good work so far, I like it!

EDIT: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6950409/fe/VertigoTileTest.html You can paste a link to your image in the corner of this version, click 'TEST' and it will load your tileset!

Also here is the final final tileset template for now (I recommend enabling a 20x20 grid on your favourite software for this):

TileSet-pro.png

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Here is a tile set for an icy feel.

VertigoIce.png

edit: I can't seem to go the TileTest to read my image.

Attachments

• VertigoIce.png
    VertigoIce.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 428

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
It looks like Photobucket blocks usage in some way.

Similarly, Tinypic converts images to JPG which removes the transparency. I don't know if Imageshack is any good but Dropbox certainly seems to work if you have an account with them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.