Tutorial Making a good Custom Hero-basics

How helpful was this for a Basic Tutorial?

• Wow! that was great! (Exellent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I liked it (Good)

• Its was okay... (mediocre)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I didnt like it (bad)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Dont make a tutorial again. (terrible)

• Total voters

Seannny

Why GUI when you can Jass?
Reaction score
Introduction
Hey, this is my first tutorial, and one of the only things im good at, aside from terraining. Too bad there are over 6000000 terraining tutorials.
I havn't seen many tutorials like this so i thought, what the hay, i might as well.

What you will need- World Editor TFT (not sure about ROC, but id prefer TFT)

The Art Section
First off, lets make a simple Footman hero.
Go into the object editor of the World Editor and select the paladin hero. then hit the custom unit button to make it a custom unit.
Name it whatever you want, but for this tutorial, im going to use the name Footman hero. Very original huh?
First off lets remove all those abilitys that the paladin has, we want our footman to be a footman. Not a holy warrior. We will get back to the abilitys in a little bit.
models and icons
Lets move down a few spaces to the art-icon game interface and scorescreen. lets change that to something cool. whats neat about this, is that you dont have to make it a unit icon. but for now we will. lets use the Assassin, Brigand icon. Select this for both, game interface and score screen.
Game interface is what you see in the upper left hand corner when you play the game. Score screen is when your looking through the stats of the game, your hero's picture.

Next lets go down to the model file. This is what the unit shows up as on the screen, so this is a footman hero right? Then lets use a good footman model. the normal footman is somewhat boring, so lets use the captain model. remember here you can use pretty much everything as the model. from an abomination to a question mark.
Scaling Value
After that lets go down more in the art section to scaling value. This tool will make the unit bigger or smaller. We will keep it at 1 for now, but when your on your own and you want, say, a giant hero, you can edit this to make any unit or object bigger OR smaller.
Tints
Final in the art section, the tints. tints are easy, just remember RGB, red green blue. The first number which is 255 is red, second 255 is green, third 255 is blue. we are going to leave it as is for now. but this is a cool feature if you want something well, tinted :p . I used this is my underwater map when i wanted everything to have a slight blue tint, i just lowered the red and green values by a bit.

wooh! done with art. of the model. lets move on, shall we?

Combat

Combat is the hardest part in creating a custom unit, but this being a basic custom tutorial. its actualy one of the easiest.
Armor type. lets see here, its a footman in armor. obviously its a metal armor. armor is good becuase it depends on what hurts the unit the most.
AOE
Lets go to area of effect, well we dont need this for our knight do we? for the record, area of effect is the amount of damage that goes from the point where you hit to cirtain units around it. for example. the spell flamestrike has a form of AOE or area of effect. Where the fire spreads in that circle and damages all units in it.

cooldown
We will also leave the cooldown time, and the keep the damage default.
we go alllllll the way down to movement. for the basic tutorial, all the other stuff is pretty much un-needed.

Movement
speed base is important. It's obviously how fast the unit moves. We want the unit to have a realistic speed. A bad hero will be super fast. another bad hero would be way to slow. 270 is a good speed i suppose. you can higher if you wish but remember our footman has metal armor. And a metal sword. If you have ever ran in plate mail then you would know its hard. so dont make it higher than 350. for this footman at least.
Collision Size
Going down even more to collision size. This is very importent when you edit the size of the hero. If you have a giant hero, you want a much bigger collision size. The WORST mistake everyone makes is having a big hero with a tiny collision size so other things just walk right through it. It not only looks bad but it also looks bad. It also looks very bad. For the footman though, we dont need to increase it.

Sound
Now down to unit soundset. Well the paladin sound wont work here. So lets find a good soundset. Hmmmmm why dont we do knight?
SoundSets
Rule of soundsets. Stop using illidian. yeah okay it sounds cool for about 5 clicks. then its more annoying than nails on a chalkboard. Illidian sound and hero is more overused than the Lordaeron summer tileset. and its got the same effect. It simply isnt good. Now if you have the main baddie have the illidian model or soundset, go for it. He fits once, maybe twice in a map. But dont keep using it. Thats why maze maps with him usualy arent hosted a lot. becuase we get sick of hearing " Ana-ter-ana-tor!" or whatever the heck he says.

Stats
Stats... important for the heros. Alright now we decide. are we all about strength? intel? or agility. Well the footmen are strong. So strength sounds good, with agility following up.
lets set the agility per levle to... 1.8
Base Health
Everything down to the base health doesnt need to be edited unless you run on buying the hero.
alright cool. Base health should remain 100 because it is determined by the strength. It's perhaps the one good thing blizzard did with the object editor. Well not the one good thing, but one of the more USEFUL things.
The regeneration rate you can change, but im keeping it .25, that's a good number.

Intellegence per level should be lowered. say down to 1.4 its not important for a Footman,
Main Attribute
going down down down........ main attribute. for this guy, strength is good. main attribute shows what increases attack damage, intel does attack dmg and mana. Agil increases attack and attack speed. Strength does attack and health.
Starting attributes
continue going down til' starting attributes. set them to match with the abilitys. Starting attributes detirmine a lot. the starting mana.... health... attack.... attack speed.... you get the point. im setting mine to..
agil 18
intel 13
str 24
this is about good. you always want your least important skill..well...lesser than the rest..:rolleyes: ...at of course your primary attribure the highest! easy peasy.
Strength per Level
Strength per level. lets see here. this is most important about are hero because we need to know how strong we want this dude to be...2.7 sounds good =D. doesnt it? Per level is pretty self explanatory. It's the amount of Attribute you get added per level.

Text Stuff
Alright cool the easy parts. Go ahead and give your hero proper names if you want. It's always fun to do this, but you need more than like 8. otherwise its not worth it. you want it so theres a low chance that half the players with this hero will all get the same name. Yes this happens... sometimes more than you think.

We are almost done now...

Abilitys
Remember the abilitys? nows the time to choose. although i will leave this to you. but i will tell you what to look for in abilitys.
For the tut hero, well hes a footman. Hes always in the front line. Don't go giving him blizzard and flamestrike and brilliance aura and the ultimate carrion beetles. It doesn't match. you want maybe critical strike. A good aura, add in a good custom ability here, another there. then an ultimate to suit it. Words of advice. the best heros are more than 75% custom. the tutorial here only goes about 25% there. depending on the success of this i may go further into detail. I know this tutorial wasn't very detail but this was for the basics. Thanks for reading! hope it helped!

The End
Seannny of clan MMA

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This belongs in the Tutorial Submission forum.

EDIT: You're right 0.o I was distracted.

Seannny

Why GUI when you can Jass?
Reaction score
Oh okay, the thing under tutorial submission says to post in the world edit help zone, so i was confused

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
This seems alright, but it is organized inproperly. It should be organized well like this making it look better:

eg:
"Introduction:

When creating a tutorial, you should use linebreaks and make it organized as I did above. In this tutorial, I shall teach you how to make a proper and clean tutorial that will be accepted with no doubt!

etc."

This makes it look good and neat. Anyways, I voted that it was average, but keep on helping the community! ;)

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Seannny... is... uhm... Grammatically declined =/
I can only say this because I'm his friend, then again he IS the leader of the clan I'm in...
Jk jk, anyhow...
Yeah it's a bit disorganized Sean, give it titles, proper line breakage (lol, and I say HIS grammar is bad), and finally, use of the Shift button. I'm not gonna do the poll until you organize it :p

Edit > LOLZ someone voted Don't make a tutorial again.
DAXTREME...!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.