Tutorial Making a Hero Arena

131ackout

As you know, there are many heroes arenas, created and made, and you want to make your own, too? Well, you can, just follow my tutorial!

Introduction:
1. Creating the template
2. Creating a Hero Arena
3. Making Heroes
4. Working on Triggers
4a. Create Wisp
4b. Giving Hero
5. Items
6. Units
7. Bases
4c. Reviving

1 - Creating the template

Since there are many kinds of templates, such as Ashenvale forest, Northrend, Ice Glacier, and many more. Or, you can put a theme in there such as Mario, Karate style, and many more. I picked Cityscape, because it has neat tiles. So, now, we'll begin to create much like the Angel Arena. When done, follow on the next step.

[Sorry, I don't have the explain screenshot for the arena. I'll add it soon.]

2 - Creating Hero Arena

In order to do the triggers for selecting/picking heroes by using circle, we'll need to create a place where the heroes can be created. For example, if you are planning to make 50 heroes, then the arena SHOULD be big. If the 50 heroes do not fit there, make it more big BY increase and decrease the terrain (floor). After that, let's continue on step 3.

Making Heroes

Making heroes using Object Editor is simple, but will take awhile to work it, even if you have a slow & laggy computer. I would recommend that you first create 5 heroes, and we'll add more heroes later. If you want, you can modify the heroes' abilities, but if you want, you can skip that later.

Working on Triggers

The triggers are used to make the game work. In order to pick a hero, on the hero arena, there MUST be a hero, within a circle of power (say medium if you want the hero stand on it, otherwise small infront of hero). After that, we'll need to put the regions ON a circle of power. This allows the heroes to select units, but that won't work, so we need the triggers.

A - When this trigger is on, this allows a wisp to enter a hero, then the hero will appear at middle, under your control, plus the wisp will be removed. There are many triggers for heroes to do this work, so create a file in the Triggers for all heroes triggers. Here's a example code to create the wisps:

Code:
Initialization
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                ((Picked player) controller) Equal to User
                ((Picked player) slot status) Equal to Is playing
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Create 1 Wisp for (Picked player) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing [COLOR="Red"]You can leave this action, or you can leave it empty."[/COLOR]
4B. To make a wisp give the hero, you need the triggers like this:
Code:
DarkElf Ranger Pick
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters DarkElfRangerPick <gen>
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Wisp
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Dark Elf Ranger for (Entering Unit) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game [COLOR="Red"]Must come last.[/COLOR]
Now that you know this, let's continue on next step.

Items

Not every Hero Arena is without items - they are used to give more damage, HP or something that is the effect, costing gold. Without a item on the Hero Arena, then it would be boring - people will be sick of it, never playing it anymore. If you want, you can make the items cost a lumber, meaning it is VERY unique and probably bestest items in the game. The Hero Arena must have the starting items, such as Axe +8, means its damage is 8+ for people who is wearing that item.

A Good Item:

Description: A level 3 boot.
Tooltip - Basic: Night Boot (500)
Tooltip - Extended: A boot that gives the ability "Shadowmeld," allowing the hero to become invisible during the night, and gives 120 additional movement speed.
(The Green number shows the gold amount, because it's too light for yellow.)
A Bad Item:

Description: A ugly and bad boots. (A bad, offensive words describing that is a bad boot.)
Tooltip - Basic: God Boot (If the tooltip below is giving a minor movement speed, why is this named "God Boot"? Even, NO gold cost here.)
Tooltip - Extended: Gives a 30 additional movement speed.
Lumber: 3 (3 LUMBER COST. MEANING IT IS A BAD ITEM.)

That's why you MUST look over your items CAREFULLY. Otherwise, they'll become bad items.

Units

The units are used for players to kill these creeps. At start, there must be minor creeps like level 1-4. After 10 minutes (600 seconds) later, the creeps must become "moderate creeps" for players to kill them, gaining more experience. Must be creeps level 5-8 After another 10 minutes, the creeps will become major, stronger and more HP. Levels for creeps: 9-10 or higher. Also, use the units for shops for items, many more. Also, if you want, add an anti-camping tower in the bases, so the enemies can be killed quickly if its damage is on godly.

Bases

Bases are used to revive, purchase the items and other stuff from the stores, OR buy the items that are used for replacing your hero with other new. A good base is like this:

A Life/Mana Fountain
Three Shops - One with starting items and gambles, the tomes and potions/summonings.
One Hero Shop (people first buy a item that replaces you with your heroes, even thought you have to go to a different circle (not in hero arena).

Bad base is usually like this:

Mana Fountain
Three shops without items
no hero shop
NO REVIVE.

Triggers (Continued) Reviving

In order to revive, you'll need two triggers. One trigger is used for a base and other is for other base.
Make a trigger like this:

Code:
Reviving1
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
        ((Dying unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
        ((Owner of (Dying unit)) is an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True
    Actions
        Wait 20.00 seconds ([COLOR="Red"]Can set it to any time you want.[/COLOR])
        Hero - Instantly revive (Dying unit) at (Center of (West Base)) <gen>), Hide revival graphics
You can show the revival graphics if you want to. For other team, change the "Condition" [((Owner of (Dying unit)) is an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True]. The color appear should be changed to Brown (Player 12). If you are setting 10 players, change it to LB Player 10 (Light Blue.) If you want, you can use something other than top, like this:
[It's in the attachment below, scroll down.]

Well, these things are all you need to know about the "basics." Hope this is helpful and enjoyable!

FAQ:
1. Will you make us a template?
1A. Since I'm not good with creating a template for Hero Arena, so no. :(

2. What if I put "Create a Wisp" in the Else Actions, will it work?
2A. Unfortunately, not. Because sometimes the problems occur in the Else actions, so I want you to leave it nothing but "Do nothing."

3. Can I still add actions in the Else actions?
3A. No, just add the actions below of If Condition/Then/Else, became same thing I said in question 2#.

4. If you are planning to make a Hero Arena template, will it have rigged and rigged items in there?
4A. No, because it's unfair. I don't like it when some one is very, very, very rigged.

Do you have any questions? Just post here, and I'll update. Hope you learn well from my tutorial!

~131ackout

Attachments

• revivecode.jpg
    revivecode.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 500

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
isnt this a leak?
Hero - Instantly revive (Dying unit) at (Center of (West Base)) <gen>), Hide revival graphics

and this function dosent need to be there ("Do nothing" Do not put any actions except for "Do nothing.")

Drunken_God

Hopes to get back into Mapmaking with SC2 :)
Reaction score
1 - Creating the template

Since there are many kinds of templates, such as Ashenvale forest, Northrend, Ice Glacier, and many more. Or, you can put a theme in there such as Mario, Karate style, and many more. I picked Cityscape, because it has neat tiles. So, now, we'll begin to create much like the Angel Arena. When done, follow on the next step.

maybe i dont know what angel arena is?(expalin it and give some screenshots

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
In JASS, call DoNothing() is a BJ. A very useless BJ. Please remove it from your trigger, since all it does is slowing.

Oh, and you like leaks, don't you? :thdown:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are trying to teach us how to make a Hero Arena, it is not very comforting when you personally tell us you are no good at creating a Hero Arena template...

1. Will you make us a template?
1A. Since I'm not good with creating a template for Hero Arena, so no.

You could also really use some screenshots to explain some things. Such as the triggers where you pick a hero. Note: It is not neccesary to have a Hero in a circle of power for this, because it gives the wrong idea about the Hero picking. (You say..

there MUST be a hero, within a circle of power
)

On the good item description, please change the colour of that yellow text... It's near impossible to read that it says 500. As Psiblade said earlier, your Hero revivial trigger leaks. It should be...

Code:
Reviving1
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
        ((Dying unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
        ((Owner of (Dying unit)) is an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True
    Actions
        Wait 20.00 seconds (Can set it to any time you want.)
        Set tmpPoint = (Center of (West Base)) <gen>)
        Hero - Instantly revive (Dying unit) at tmpPoint, Hide revival graphics
        Custom Script - call RemoveLocation( udg_tmpPoint )

I think thats all for now.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
I don't think that leaks.
When you lost reference to (a point, for example) then it is called a leak.
Center of a Region stays constant throughout the game (unless the region is moved) and the same point is used again and again anyway, so I don't think removing the point is necessary.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
Code:
Initialization
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                ((Picked player) controller) Equal to User
                ((Picked player) slot status) Equal to Is playing
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Create 1 Wisp for (Picked player) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing Do not put any actions except for "Do nothing."

What picked player? Where's the All Players loop? Also can you even create units at map init?

131ackout

Sorry for some leakless stuff

Changed, modifed it and maybe it's good for you now ?

131ackout

> Knight7770

Of course you missed. I only modifed some few things.

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
what about a Timer version of revive? it would be nice if it could come with a timer window and we can see when we revive :)

131ackout

> Cleeezzz

The attachement i made has a trigger that creates the timer window.

131ackout

Lol..

Any comments? :D

(I know it's leaky, but It's my FIRST tutorial.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.