Making a unit UNABLE to move

G

guevara_cf

Maybe my W/E is bugged but here's the problem:

I have made a custom unit, based of the Penguin critter, and made it so he provides one food and has an inventory etc. He serves as the provider and unit close by to the Hero Tavern so heroes can be selected. That all works good.

But I want the little bastard to be unable to move.
I have tried setting the move-speed to 0 through the object editor.
I have tried setting the move-speed to 0 through an in game trigger.
I have tried removing the movement type e.g. making it NONE.
I have tried setting 'Can Flee' to FALSE.
I have tried making him a building.

None of it works! He can still move around and it shits me to tears.
Anyone got a simple solution?
NOTE
I can't have the minimum move-speed on this map set to 0 (Game play constants) because it's a hero based map and they will likely have speed altering spells. I don't want units to be able to sink move-speed below 200.

ALSO
I read through the forum rules and searched the first 5 pages of the forums for all threads with 'move' in the title. When this question is answered it is always the same ... 'set move-speed to 0' etc.
THAT DON'T WORK!!!!

G

guevara_cf

Guess again...

Code:
Unit - Pause (Last created unit)

:p

I can't believe that actually worked.... the only problem is it removes the inventory of my unit so they can no longer store items. Also this removes the unites interface panel (bottom right) which doesn't really do anything I guess... just doesn't feel like a unit anymore ha ha.

Anyhow... problem solved thank you. I thought if I used pause/unpause it would make the unit not recognized by the tavern so you couldn't choose a hero anymore.... yikes. Well it doesn't!

PEACE!

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
No prob, by the way
Welcome to The forums!

P.S. Here on the forums theres a 'reputation system' (the little scales near the bar near your name) we use it to show who's helping around etc. You can earn it by helping other people with their triggers or such (they have to award it to you)

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
But I want the little bastard to be unable to move.
I have tried setting the move-speed to 0 through the object editor.
I have tried setting the move-speed to 0 through an in game trigger.
I have tried removing the movement type e.g. making it NONE.
I have tried setting 'Can Flee' to FALSE.
I have tried making him a building.

Should not able to move if the movement speed is 0, right? Does the penguin still have the 'move', 'stop', 'hold position' icons? The movement speed (base) must be zero. Or else just use footmen (change its movement speed to 0 and give inventory) and change the model file and unit sound to penguin etc etc.... Hope it helps :)

EDIT: AHHH... I'm late in sending by a few minutes... Crab... :p

T

The Mapmaker

actually i found another way to do it by accident..if you change the move type to float, it doesnt let you move the guy..i dont know, its a raw way to stop him

anyways, good luck!;)

G

guevara_cf

All fixed!

Thanks for all your input guys, each was helpful.

I ended up using the pause trigger :p
but ill keep the other two in mind while making my map!

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
In order to set movement speed to 0 or 522 (the absolute maximum of movement speed), you have to adjust the advanced gameplay constants.

"Movement - Unit Speed - Maximum"
"Movement - Unit Speed - Minimum"

Also, adding the "Ward" classification makes a unit unable(*) to move and it removes all command buttons plus spells (expect auras).

(*)Unable to move by the user, the unit is still capable of moving when ordered by triggers.

H

HughJass

It's curious that he moves even as a building. Does the Penguin still have the Wander (Neutral) ability?

G

guevara_cf

Nope

It's curious that he moves even as a building. Does the Penguin still have the Wander (Neutral) ability?

No he doesn't! It IS weird isn't it?
The pause unit I am happy with considering all I essentially wanted the unit for was a hero selector/food provider, which he does. Maybe it is something to do with the fact it is a critter and normally not player controlled. Even with move-type NONE and base speed 0 (which, by the way AndrewGosu, should have worked because 0 isn't considered a speed by the game. 0 is considered 'null' or 'no value' so it isn't (or WASN'T) affected by game play constants and isn't clamped between the max and min speeds) he could move.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Andrew: I think units classified with 'ward' can still be moved even by user, right? (unless its movement speed is 0, if that's what you mean) Just think of Juggernaut healing ward in DotA.....

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Another solution:

Stick a whole lot of ground path blockers around it.

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Andrew: I think units classified with 'ward' can still be moved even by user, right? (unless its movement speed is 0, if that's what you mean) Just think of Juggernaut healing ward in DotA.....

Not, Ward does not allow the unit to move at all.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Nonsense, Wards move just fine.
Assuming, of course, it's a normal units with movement and movement speed... and you use right-click because there's no buttons.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.