making ctf map, always crashes

T

TaK-MP

Im trying to make a map which is based on capture the flag....the problem is that whenever i capture a flag i get a fatal error and the game quits out ... i have no idea how to fix it :/

L

LedZepplin

Not sure if i can help but im sure if you posted your triggers that revolve around the flag someone will be able to help you out.

Tonks

Reaction score
Did you steal this map? I know for a fact that Thew put a trigger in his maps that shuts it down if anything is changed.
If it's not stolen, post all your triggers for me. I already have a Capture the Flag made, and can probably give you a better trigger. Note that if you aren't very experienced with World Editor, this map will most likely turn out to be a dud. Special features and effects are needed for the map to be interesting.

*Post the map on this thread.*

exge

Reaction score
Tonks said:
Did you steal this map? I know for a fact that Thew put a trigger in his maps that shuts it down if anything is changed.

wow how did he do that .. i would like to add that to my map too ... so people can learn from my map but not steal it

T

TaK-MP

k heres my triggers

-Events
A unit enters team1flag <gen>
-Conditions
((Item carried by (Triggering Unit) of type Team 2 Flag) is owned) Equal to True
-Actions
Item - Move (Item being manipulated) to (Center of Team2Flag <gen>)
Set Score[1] = (Score[1] + 5)
Leaderboard - Change value for team1 in (Last created leaderboard) to Score[1]
Leaderboard - Sort (Last created leaderboard) by Value in Descending order.

EDIT: and no, its not stolen :p

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
There is no "item being manipulated" with that event.

Try with boolean, hero - hero has item of type, for the condition.
And Item - Move item carried by hero of type, to move it.

T

TaK-MP

AceHart said:
Try with boolean, hero - hero has item of type, for the condition.
And Item - Move item carried by hero of type, to move it.

just tried that, doesnt work :/

EDIT: by not working i mean it still crashes

Xenoche

Reaction score
Bombers_scores
Events
Unit - A unit enters alpha goal <gen>
Conditions
(((Entering unit) belongs to an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True) and (((Entering unit) has an item of type Bombers Flag) Equal to True)
Actions
Hero - Drop (Item carried by (Entering unit) of type Bombers Flag) from (Entering unit)
Item - Remove (Last dropped item)

Set Score_Count[1] = (Score_Count[1] + 1)
Leaderboard - Change the value for Player 1 (Red) in (Last created leaderboard) to Score_Count[1]
Game - Display to (All players) the text: |cff32cd32THE BOMBERS SCORE!!!|r
Trigger - Run <restartgame> (ignoring conditions)

This is my CTF scoring trigger.
I've got 1 of these for each team, and it works fine.
-Use a boolean as the condition for the item_type check as AceHart said, it works.
-Instead of trying to recycle the same item, just remove it and create another.

T

TaK-MP

Xenoche said:
Bombers_scores
Events
Unit - A unit enters alpha goal <gen>
Conditions
(((Entering unit) belongs to an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True) and (((Entering unit) has an item of type Bombers Flag) Equal to True)
Actions
Hero - Drop (Item carried by (Entering unit) of type Bombers Flag) from (Entering unit)
Item - Remove (Last dropped item)

Set Score_Count[1] = (Score_Count[1] + 1)
Leaderboard - Change the value for Player 1 (Red) in (Last created leaderboard) to Score_Count[1]
Game - Display to (All players) the text: |cff32cd32THE BOMBERS SCORE!!!|r
Trigger - Run <restartgame> (ignoring conditions)

I tried that too, still crashes :O

Xenoche

Reaction score
Well then, i guess its crashing from another source because I use that exact trigger and it works fine. :shades:

Are you able to post any other triggers that run during that period of time?

Other than that, I have no idea :confused:

T

TaK-MP

thats the only trigger which happens on that event...ive tried everything i can think of and it still crashes

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
I find one big source of all out crashes is when the map is trying to reference or manipulate an object or event that does not exist or is an impossibility.

Suggestions:

- team1flag <gen> does not exist or has been deleted
- Item carried by (Triggering Unit) [are all units on your map capable of carrying items? I know item incapable units queried for items can possibly cause crashes]
- Team 2 Flag does not exist or has been deleted
- Item being manipulated [as Ace said, no item is being manipulated in this event. This is an invalid action option given the event type].
- Team2Flag <gen> does not exist or has been deleted
- Score does not exist or has been deleted OR is being accessed beyond the scope of the array [referencing an out of bound array can cause a crash]
- Last Created Leaderboard does not exist or has been deleted

T

TaK-MP

This is what the trigger looks like after changes:

-Event
A unit enters (team1flag <gen>)
-Condition
((Item carried by (Triggering unit) of type Team 2 Flag) is equal to true
-Actions
Item - Move (Item carried by (Triggering unit) of type Team 2 Flag) to (Center of team2flag <gen>)
Set Score[1] = (Score[1] + 5)
Change value for team1 in (Last created leaderboard) to Score[1]

I checked all those things mentioned which could cause a crash and they are all fine...but it still crashes when this event happens

Sud

Reaction score
I still see the possibility of one of my exclusions to occur.

For example, you didn't change the code of the event. For example, to prevent the accidental occurance of a normal unit triggering the event (instead of the intended hero) you could have added "triggering unit is a hero = true" as one of the conditions. That would have, for example, prevented the possibility of a hero that is not item enabled of tripping the trigger and crashing the map (because an item disabled unit cannot be polled with item carried by)

But, I'll help you with the process of elimination if you provide the screenshots proving me wrong. Screenshot for me:

- The team1flag <gen> location
- Team 2 Flag's item entry
- The team2flag <gen> location
- The variable screen entry for Score
- The leaderboard including depictions of the existance of team1

ALSO - are you sure that you can put that value of Score[1] directly into the leaderboard like that? Don't you need to do a string conversion, or numerical conversion? That part looks fishy.

Sounds like a lot of work, perhaps, but it'll allow us to be able to see what the heck is going on and eliminate the possibilities. Unfortunately for an old tech support vet like myself "I did that already" doesn't work ;)

Tonks

Reaction score
Okay.. Here's my map. I can't see anything wrong with your triggers. They are different from mine, though.
Go ahead and use anything in there that you want. It's a dud project, and I want a good CTF out, too :)
Hope it helps ya out. :D

:I had to take out all the terrain and sounds and a lot of triggers and all the sounds to be able to upload it onto this site. Please tell me when you've downloaded it so I can remove it. If you want a full version of it PM me and I'll email the original to you.:

T

TaK-MP

ok i got the screenshots, just a couple things. the variable score is actually named kills, and the trigger actually adds kills to players 1-6 i just said team1 to make less typing lol. i hope these images work :O

EDIT: agh how do you put images into posts correctly? they arent showing for me

Tonks

Reaction score
You have to upload this online to a webhosting site. Look at Mr.Apples's Tutorial to Writing Tutorials. That explains it pretty thoroughly.

Sud

Reaction score
Or add them as attachments if Mr. Helper has given you enough attachment space. Otherwise hit imageshack

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.