Map popularity

Magic

Reaction score
Im deciding on a map to make. i was thinking of several different types of maps but do you guys really think its necessary to have custom models and skins and art to have it popular. i dont know because i dont have a windows so its impossible for me to add any of this so im thinking since i cant do that should i really still spend the endless hours working on a rpg type map which most people usually complain when they dont have custom skins etc.

ArmyOfFrogs

Reaction score
Eh most of the wc3 population now just wants flashy. Substance hardly matters, as long as there's epics with huge stats and massive explosions and other visually appealing things (models included). Whenever I'd host my test rpg on bnet to test out a few triggers for MUI and whatnot, usually the first thing they'd ever criticize on was the lack of custom models. They got over it fairly quickly once they had a few spells, but it was for the large majority of the players I had the first thing they commented on.

tl;dr - Yes, most of wc3 cares about custom models more than anything else, sadly.

Ancient-wolf

Reaction score
that depends from player to player, my suggestion is that you make polls at different Warcraft 3 forums / sites and see what they like and don't like.
Then when you have what you need you can start the base of your map!

My opinion; you don't need costum models/skins/spells to make a successful map. If you make it enjoyable its always fun to play them like for example Polar escape. according to me that is a very fun map because it is very simple but still pretty hard and as long as its a challenge its always fun ;)

DarkSonicele

Reaction score
Eh most of the wc3 population now just wants flashy. Substance hardly matters, as long as there's epics with huge stats and massive explosions and other visually appealing things (models included). Whenever I'd host my test rpg on bnet to test out a few triggers for MUI and whatnot, usually the first thing they'd ever criticize on was the lack of custom models. They got over it fairly quickly once they had a few spells, but it was for the large majority of the players I had the first thing they commented on.

tl;dr - Yes, most of wc3 cares about custom models more than anything else, sadly.

I for one disagree with this, I personally hate most custom models, usually they take up too much space and is therefore not worth the price to pay. Ofc there is some spell effect models which manages to only take up 1-10 KB of space and deliver a top end effect for it's size.

Back to topic. I would aim for a minigame. I love those and I know many people do. Maps which isn't hard to get into and is still able to be mastered are my top favorites (as I am writing this I am at a LAN party where we have been playing lots of WC3 maps, and most agree that minigames are the most fun, as all have a close-to-equal standing).

ArmyOfFrogs

Reaction score
I know most of the people here won't agree with my post personally, however it applies for the players on b.net. I tested with around 60+ people over the course of 2 weeks and i'd say about 40% of them wanted custom models. That's a very high percent in terms of most wanted thing. Whenever I would mention what the next class I was working on was, before I got to skills and how they would play, they'd generally ask if there was a custom model. Not trying to be derogatory, but a large portion of wc3 players now seem to be slightly ADD and gaudy things seem to keep them interested long enough for your other more.. substanciated features to hook them in :)

afisakov

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I think many map types can become popular without custom models, but for an rpg, where you stare at the same unit for long periods of time, you really want it to look good. If you have enough fast-paced gameplay (like Defi4nc3 had due to the 9 abilities with half of them active), people will be too busy to get bored by the lack of custom models. Come to think of it, minigames would help in this respect.

punwisp

Reaction score
Im deciding on a map to make. i was thinking of several different types of maps but do you guys really think its necessary to have custom models and skins and art to have it popular. i dont know because i dont have a windows so its impossible for me to add any of this so im thinking since i cant do that should i really still spend the endless hours working on a rpg type map which most people usually complain when they dont have custom skins etc.

Custom models does NOT create popularity, that only makes things prettier and more appealing, but it does little to make a map popular..."Hey guys lets play this map, it really really sucks but it has pretty models!" >.>

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
No, you don't have to have custom models to make a good map. But you said you can't add them because you don't have windows? I'm on a mac and have no problems importing custom models, skins, icons, etc.

Magic

Reaction score
i downloaded the compatability program for importing at it doesnt work, custom screens everything i have to make a post for someone else to do it.

Dest

Reaction score
i downloaded the compatability program for importing at it doesnt work, custom screens everything i have to make a post for someone else to do it.

Download WinRar and when you get a model you want, you should get a zip. Then, extract all of things from a folder to a specific folder (preferably desktop) and then open up the import manager. Press "Import" and look for your model on desktop. Then import it and give it a path.

Magic

Reaction score
that tutorial is worthless for apples because without warcraft image extractor 2 its impossible to change it from .jpeg to .blp and .mdx

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
that tutorial is worthless for apples because without warcraft image extractor 2 its impossible to change it from .jpeg to .blp and .mdx

That's your problem? Well, I suppose if you made your own models that might make it difficult, but you can save files as .tga with gimp, which works just as well as .blp. And there is a mac and I think linux version of gimp. But downloaded models I can import no problem.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
*Doesn't bother reading the thread*
do you guys really think its necessary to have custom models and skins and art to have it popular.
I would dare freaking say having any such stuff would ban your map from becomming popular, because of the filesize.

I ban custom art from my maps. Use code to make things flashy instead. The default models and skins are not only just fine, but don't suck in general.

roXplosive

Reaction score
I don't know about others but I have a few maps i've got into liking over the times and they are : DotA (massacre activated withh funny UT sounds) , Hero Survival X ( by SUnDay Modified by Arsen1 ; not the latest version . The first map I have finished) , Orcs&Elves TAG (nice ideas there) , Battle Ships (Sked's version) , not quite in the RPG ( i find them too long and boring) but I have found the single player map "The Devil Made Me Do It " quite good and entertaining , having good action , various game styles in the mission and a good background story . If someone knows other good singleplayer maps let me know :D .

About the above posts I find custom models move unrealistically and have weird desync in their actions/attacks so I would stick with original models . Me thinks even DotA Phantom Lancer looks awkward at times .

PS: Umm forgot about some : Custom Hero Line Wars (Baka Ranger) and Gex maps : Castle Fight (good balance overall and entertaining play ; supports teamwork) and his Eeve TD (I like random waves with random spawn numbers,abilities and such )

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.