map protection

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
This forum does not support de-protection of maps.

Also, you're supposed to bump your threads after 24 hours.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
i think the op meant how to protect a map like this? i could be wrong
If that's the case, then I think the best solution would be to ask the creator of the map? Is there a way to determine what kind of map protection is used? :S

dansam92

Reaction score
yea, im not asking about deprotection.
of course i tried to contact the creator of the map first,
but he didn't answer me.
it seems like he don't want to.

*sorry for bumping before 24h. i didn't aware it.

Neco

Reaction score
I can open it quite fine with MPQEditor...

EDIT: Nevermind, you're right I can't extract any files from it. This'd be cool if someone figured out how to do it.

dansam92

Reaction score
I can open it quite fine with MPQEditor...

EDIT: Nevermind, you're right I can't extract any files from it. This'd be cool if someone figured out how to do it.

yea. i hope so.
but, no one gives an answer from now on.:(

DuelPlayer

Reaction score
Hope if anyone can find this awesome tool....
It will prevent hacking....
Yet if the tool is shown here....
hackers will try to find a solution to it

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I cleared this thread up a little. If you're going to post complaining that the original poster is trying to deprotect a map; don't. He's clearly not.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Hmm. This is quite interesting. I can't figure it out. I can't edit the (listfile) or (attribute) files of a map.

(Been testing with another map to try and reproduce something like this.)

If anyone can figure out how to rename/delete/move internal files, that would be epic.

Edit: Strange...

Ladik's MPQ Editor can't edit internal files, however MPQ Master can.

So far, I've deleted the (listfile) and (attributes) file, but that in no way stops you from extracting so long as you have a listfile.... which MPQ Master comes with.

Edit2: Okay, so.... I know how to protect the map by deleting the editor-specific files, but that can be broken (easily I might add)... The problem now is that the file YOU provided can't even be opened in an MPQ Editor (to my knowledge.... At least, Ladik's and Master can't...)

Necco, how did you open it?

Edit3: I'm going to try to break protection the most well-known way and see what happens.

You've gone and done it. You've sparked my interest >=( I was going to go play some WoW too :(

Edit4: It seems I can't open war3map.w3i (at least the method I was using can't).

Edit5: It seems the following are NOT part of the equation:

• Missing (listfile)
  • Missing editor-specific files
  • Corrupt Map
  • Missing (attributes)

What else is there o_O' Compressing the map?

eXm.Kavoh

Reaction score
In the MPQ header of every map there is a value that tells it how many files are inside. The person who protected this map has changed that value to an incorrect one. This causes the MPQ tool trying to open it to search for tons of files that do not really exist, and somewhere along the line it gives up. To view the files in the map, you must change the value back to what it should be, or very close at the least. This can be done with a hex editor, and once you change the value, save the map, and then open it with a MPQ editor it should allow you to see the files like normal.

In this case, if you open the map with a hex editor (I used Hex Workshop) and go to 0000020F you will see 80 38 01 00 at D through 10. This is the value of how many files are in the archive, it has purposely been altered, making the map unopenable. I changed it to 6E 00 00 00 in this case, and saved the map. Then I opened it using RMPQ Extractor, and was able to view the files inside like normal.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that's how it was done, and that's how to make the map files viewable again. Pics can be uploaded if needed, or if you have a question PM me. Good way to protect a map, this method is pretty rare and not very well known, until now I guess. ;) Uploaded is the same map, but you're able to view the files like normal now.

Edit: Just wanted to also point out that the address of the value needed to be modified is more than likely going to change in other maps.

Attachments

• A_TvsE_X_1_2_d.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 392

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Quick question, does altering that value corrupt the editor files? I.E. unable to be opened in editor?

eXm.Kavoh

Reaction score
Quick question, does altering that value corrupt the editor files? I.E. unable to be opened in editor?

I just made a blank map, changed the header, and tried to open it with RMPQ and it couldnt read it, yet I could still open the map in JNGP and the default melee trigger was still there. I would assume it is safe to do, but I'd recommend having a backup or waiting to do it on a release map just incase.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
ICIC. Well, now that I know the hex offset I can do this o_O'

I had opened it earlier trying to change it, but had no idea where it was >_<

I suppose coupling this with Vex's Optimizer, we could create a map that is almost uncrackable.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
In the MPQ header of every map there is a value that tells it how many files are inside. The person who protected this map has changed that value to an incorrect one. This causes the MPQ tool trying to open it to search for tons of files that do not really exist, and somewhere along the line it gives up. To view the files in the map, you must change the value back to what it should be, or very close at the least. This can be done with a hex editor, and once you change the value, save the map, and then open it with a MPQ editor it should allow you to see the files like normal.

In this case, if you open the map with a hex editor (I used Hex Workshop) and go to 0000020F you will see 80 38 01 00 at D through 10. This is the value of how many files are in the archive, it has purposely been altered, making the map unopenable. I changed it to 6E 00 00 00 in this case, and saved the map. Then I opened it using RMPQ Extractor, and was able to view the files inside like normal.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that's how it was done, and that's how to make the map files viewable again. Pics can be uploaded if needed, or if you have a question PM me. Good way to protect a map, this method is pretty rare and not very well known, until now I guess. ;) Uploaded is the same map, but you're able to view the files like normal now.

Edit: Just wanted to also point out that the address of the value needed to be modified is more than likely going to change in other maps.

i am sorry to say so but as far as i understood your post this is against the forums rules, you just explained bit by bit how to deprotect the provided map and uploaded an unprotected version here as well.
be careful.

DuelPlayer

Reaction score
If you want keep this a secret trick to protect a map, please tell the mod to delete this thread asap
eXm.Kavoh can you teach me how you did it???
cause i found the decimals in the wrong position in hex editor.... and i changed to what you stated and still unable to open it
Maybe you can guide me
Send a private message to me?

eXm.Kavoh

Reaction score
i am sorry to say so but as far as i understood your post this is against the forums rules, you just explained bit by bit how to deprotect the provided map and uploaded an unprotected version here as well.
be careful.

Ya I also thought about that, but the map will still have the protection via the map optimizer (assuming it used it, I think it did but didn't check). But I really couldn't think of a way to show how this was done without just giving an example. If someone wants me to change it, or mod delete it thats fine. This isn't a full blown deprotection, just showing how to make files inside viewable again, even though it is somewhat deprotecting it. As with all protection methods there is always a way to get around it, even though I must admit this is a very good method (as few people knew about it) and including it in the map optimizer would be awesome.

ICIC. Well, now that I know the hex offset I can do this o_O'
And glad to see you found the offset, it's easy to spot once you know it's there.

If you want keep this a secret trick to protect a map, please tell the mod to delete this thread asap
eXm.Kavoh can you teach me how you did it???
cause i found the decimals in the wrong position in hex editor.... and i changed to what you stated and still unable to open it
Maybe you can guide me
Send a private message to me?
Heh, well even if this thread was deleted and this method was put in the map optimizer people would still find out soon enough, and some already knew about this. I debated over even letting this out, but I figured it would help more people. Were you using the same map posted by the thread starter or your own map? Because the address will change on a different map, so be careful changing the same address on a different map and always save a backup first. PM me and I can help you find it.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
If someone goes through the trouble of doing all that, I doubt they will release it as their own or add cheats. This method is for resource gathering, viewing and/or extracting icons and models, which are easily found around the web.

eXm.Kavoh

Reaction score
Just wanted to also point out (mainly for mods worried about this being deprotection) that I purposely didn't give the information needed to do this on any map. If someone used the same address and values I gave as the example on a different map besides this one, it would not work. But the clever people on this site can use this example and compare it to other maps to find the offset needed to do this on any map. :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.