Map Protection

Stretch

Reaction score
I will start by making it clear that I want map protection and not deprotection.

What in people's opinion is a good way of protecting a map from others accessing it, I am aware that there is no way of 100% protecting a map but I would like to make it so people won't see it worth the effort.

I once saw a map where it would open but you couldn't see the triggers, I don't know how it would be done but if anyone knows that would be great.

I apologise if I am not allowed to ask for map protection ideas, I read the rules and they only mentioned deprotection.

thanks in advance.

millzy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
here this can protect your map it will so make the map size smaller
Map optimizer

put the map in the program then check remove WE files (or somthing like that cant remember)
Warning it wont just remove the triggers you wont be able to open the map

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
on the top of protection programmes, alot of these are still deprotectable.
does anyone know of a programme that would change the maps editing interface in such a way that if some did depretect it they wouldn't understand anything. like change it to a different language or something.

or possibly a way to make a more secure protection?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
no, the language isnt saved in the map file (would be rediculous) but in the editor.

as long as you can play the map with wc3 you can open it with the we and as long as you can open it you can change it.

protecting a map is done by deleting files needed for the we only but not the wc3, when opening the map file the we will crash because these files are missing. however they can be recreated from the content used to play the game.
one example is the GUI triggers, they are translated into jass when saving the map. ingame only jass scripts are run, GUI trigger data is only needed in the we.
the best way to protect a map is to remove something the deprotecting people wouldnt think of. because as long as they dont know what files are missing they dont know how to restore them and thus prevents them from opening the map.
of course, the experienced deprotectors can find out what is missing but of course not all of them out there.

Stretch

Reaction score
thank you millzy I will try that one.

Yeah as Accname stated, Deprotectors can always find a way to unprotect your map as it's as simple as finding the right missing file or moving files back to the right location. Map protection is just a way of putting off the inexperienced players who don't know how to deprotect maps.

That is why I want to put as much protection as I can on the map as even the experienced players might not see it worth the hassle.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
could you give an example of something?

i cant remember correctly but i read about somebody who opened a map file with a hex editor and changed some lines in the header to incredible high numbers which should tell the editor the number of, i dont know i think it were GUI trigger lines or something, and when trying to open that map the editor was crashing because it was trying to load billions of GUI triggers which werent in the file.

to unprotect it you just had to look that number up yourself and change it back or so. or maybe just change that number to 1 and work with jass script instead, something like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.