Map protector or no?

PB_and_J

level 85 anti-spammer
Reaction score
If you made a map (or allready did) would you use a map protectoector or no? There are many pros and cons of both.
I would as there are some people who would change 2 litle things and say its theres, (ex: Wintermaul. Say some 1 edited the name to "Maul", they dun even bother 2 change the in-game texts from "Play Wintermaul" or somthing like that to "play Maul". Even though the name is "maul".)

(btw i just made up the name "maul" at random)

Sargon

Reaction score
I see no downsides to using map protection unless you want people to be able to see how you made your map. That's good for cinematic maps and such, but not for big battle.net maps, generally.

R

R15I23D05D14

I am against map protection, because I only study maps. It is annoying when I download a map, then cannot learn from it becaue it is protected. It is very annoying.

B

blaze5689

im both ways.

i think you should protect if u put alot of time and work into perfecting it and then some on just changes it isnt right.

but i know that i learned alot from other peoples maps aswell.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
definetly protect ur maps... u dont want n00bz making 319312893 fake clones of it now do u :(

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Protect it, but also publish your email address somewhere in your map so people know how to contact you if they have mapmaking questions.

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
I use protection too. I've never had to study other people's maps to get things done, this site in and of itself has everything you'd need to get your map done from completion.

It's too simple for someone like Guinsoo to get a hold of your map and make an unauthorized "copy" of it.

Wark

Animal
Reaction score
a go-between would be previewing your map (vex's map optimizer) so people can still open it, but they cant see the triggers, instead there is 1 trigger with you're comments.

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
While I haven't actually published a map yet (I have way too many in progress, lol), I would probably leave it unprotected because in the past I wished there were some maps I could open...plus I doubt my map would become super popular like LOAP. IMO, only maps as popular as loap lead to a hundred noobs making variations.

Noob: Liek zomg look wut I made kenitos maze of trialls wit lorderon summir tiehlset! I make teh best maps in the world hahaha!

That's when I hate variations the most. When they just change one tiny thing, like with LOAP maps. "Omfg LOAP with snow, omfg loap with undead, omfg loap with new critters", etc.

K

kcorB

I have to agree with Darg on this one...who wants newbs creating new names for everything then using your map

I

IllidansHead

I don't like protection. For one thing, it's way too easy to crack. Anyways, I would use methods that work (like making fun of the copiers in my next map). Some maps are ment to have variations (like loap). Mine might not be one of them, but I learned half of what I know about triggers from other people's maps.

Sud

Reaction score
I learned everything I know either by simply jumping in and doing it, or by doing forums searches on topics I wanted to know more about. I have never had to open someone else's map to get information.

Keep in mind here that the #1 map on B.Net is stolen. This should tell you something about certain map makers, and the community at large that plays maps.

Sargon

Reaction score
IllidansHead said:
Anyways, I would use methods that work (like making fun of the copiers in my next map).

How would that work? Anyone with half a brain can delete the trigger you use for that.

I

IllidansHead

Sargon said:
How would that work? Anyone with half a brain can delete the trigger you use for that.
No, I mean that way anyone who plays the real version of the map will see it, not so they couldn't delete it.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
IllidansHead said:
I don't like protection. For one thing, it's way too easy to crack.

not to the noobs that cant even start a map themselves. and if they can crack it hey thats their prize for being intelligent.

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
I've never seen Map protection in my whole life. Everymap is open source.

If you want to "study" a map just open it, if you are unable to open a map it is your fault , not the map's

Anyways, I think that 'Learning from someone else's map' is an oxymoron, I don't think you would ever learn from someone else's map unless it is a tutorial full with comments.

The easiest way to learn stuff is trying making stuff yourself and reading tutorials

Sud

Reaction score
I disagree with that analogy. Comparitively bank's online transaction packets are "open source", and if you're not able to unencrypt them then that's your fault.

Of course, if you actually do unencrypt the bank's data and change it to put cash in your account, the cops will be coming for you.

Open source is all about intent. If the author protects a map, it's a clear statement that they don't want their code observed or tinkered around with, just as the bank's encrypted data is an intended step to tell people to keep out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.