Health Marijuana Has Anti-Inflammatory That Won't Get You High

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A compound in marijuana may be a potent anti-inflammatory agent that won't get people high, scientists say.

The finding could be a boon to sufferers of arthritis, cirrhosis, and other diseases. Existing drugs can be less effective for some people and can carry side effects, from stomach ulcers to increased risk of heart attacks.

Marijuana supporters have long argued that the plant's active ingredients, known as cannabinoids, are safe and effective treatments for pain, nausea, and other ailments.

The most active cannabinoid—delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC—is known to have anti-inflammatory properties. But it is also responsible for the plant's psychotropic effects.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I'd rather be high then in pain.
I think almost anyone would, actually. :)

Snowbizzle

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So all they're saying is that smoking marijuana numbs pain and reduces inflammation? I could have told you that. That's not news. That's just drug researchers doing a really crappy job for the past 50 years.

And they make such a big deal about that particular cannabinoid not getting you "high." So what? Are they about to try to produce a strain that people can smoke solely for its anti-inflammatory properties and take out the rest of my precious, good cannabinoids? Because I'll be pissed.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Might have to start stocking up, Snow.
Oh and you too budsmoke.
;)

Seb!

Reaction score
[SARCASM]Alcohol's cool and should be legal, though. [/SARCASM]

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Um... Alcohol is legal... :p

K

King of Soul

Where is he from..... But yeah, while I am not a fan of what marijuana does to your brain, or the people who use it in abuse. I still think it should be legalized.

Just due to one thing bothering me does not mean i should help ban it, I mean there are plenty of things I like that a vast majority does not, what if they decided to ban it? they don't even hurt anyone. you cant ban things just because you don't LIKE them. maybe if they are killing people etc etc.

I know that marijuana has led to stupid ideas that have killed people, but probably no less then drinking, and that's legal.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Alcohol causes a lot more problems that marijuana.

Alcohol is the solution to and the cause of all of life's problems

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Tahts because when Alcohol was banned it cause a whole lot more problems XD

Really, marijuana could be legal as long as people don't abuse it, and the chances of that happening are slim to none

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Legalizing marijuana could benefit the economy I think. And it might impact society, but eventually they will see the effects first-hand, if they haven't already.

Reaction score
So all they're saying is that smoking marijuana numbs pain and reduces inflammation? I could have told you that. That's not news. That's just drug researchers doing a really crappy job for the past 50 years.

And they make such a big deal about that particular cannabinoid not getting you "high." So what? Are they about to try to produce a strain that people can smoke solely for its anti-inflammatory properties and take out the rest of my precious, good cannabinoids? Because I'll be pissed.

On what grounds do you accuse these scientists of doing a "crappy job"? Read the article please, they are doing more than simply saying that marijuana numbs pain.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Everything fun has somekind of bad side effects. If you use too much alcohol its bad. If you play too much wc3 that might cause some bad effects too.. You can actually die if you play too much StarCraft. Marijuana is OK if you dont use it too much.

Snowbizzle

Reaction score
On what grounds do you accuse these scientists of doing a "crappy job"? Read the article please, they are doing more than simply saying that marijuana numbs pain.

If you had actually read my post, you would see that I typed out EXACTLY what they plan to do with the findings, and thus did read the article. And if you understood what I was talking about at all, you wouldn't ask such a stupid question. But evidently I have to explain myself again.

What I'm saying is that we have known for years that marijuana has anti-inflammatory effects AND that these aren't tied only to THC, but to other cannabinoids. I am accusing them of doing a crappy job because this is drop-dead obvious. They only propose that this "new" information is helpful in saying that they think they may be able to isolate the cannabinoid responsible; but it will still be a synthetic drug, just like any other. There are plenty of drugs and compounds out there just like this, but the human body doesn't receive them without the aid of other chemicals, which is why marijuana works on so many levels and synthetic drugs only work on the ones we design them to. So what makes them think this one will be any different? There are drawbacks in either case, but the point is that finding the compound is child's play. They make a huge deal out of discovering which compound can reduce inflammation without getting you high, but whoop-dee-frickin'-do. That's like figuring out that paper can not only be used as a writing palette, but also as airplane material. Everyone has known it for years, but it's just a paper airplane, so who the hell really cares? Call me when you do something useful.

Reaction score
If you had actually read my post, you would see that I typed out EXACTLY what they plan to do with the findings, and thus did read the article. And if you understood what I was talking about at all, you wouldn't ask such a stupid question. But evidently I have to explain myself again.

No, that would have only established that you had read part of the article. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were speaking from a lack of knowledge rather than, say, something else. If that wasn't the case, as you say, then I am open to the correction.

What I'm saying is that we have known for years that marijuana has anti-inflammatory effects AND that these aren't tied only to THC, but to other cannabinoids.

People knew that objects would fall when dropped long before Newton published the Principia.

They only propose that this "new" information is helpful in saying that they think they may be able to isolate the cannabinoid responsible; but it will still be a synthetic drug, just like any other. There are plenty of drugs and compounds out there just like this, but the human body doesn't receive them without the aid of other chemicals, which is why marijuana works on so many levels and synthetic drugs only work on the ones we design them to. So what makes them think this one will be any different?

The above could have been neatly summarized as:
"Progress is bad because sometimes it has the chance of being very small."

There are drawbacks in either case, but the point is that finding the compound is child's play. They make a huge deal out of discovering which compound can reduce inflammation without getting you high, but whoop-dee-frickin'-do.

Every time a team of scientists isolate a molecule, document its mechanics and catalog its effects, it's scientific progress. You can thank small, incremental discoveries like this one for most of the technology you take advantage of today.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
I doubt the government could ban alchohol if they wanted to. Imagine the riots , heck even the police who stop the riots want to join the crowd.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt the government could ban alchohol if they wanted to. Imagine the riots , heck even the police who stop the riots want to join the crowd.

It was called prohibition. Very similar to what has happened in the War on Drugs except Alcohol is physically addictive unlike pot so outlawing it was much more of shock. In other words, alcohol will kill your ass if you drink it everyday, pot won't. Other drugs, they are just glamorous because of the big money that goes along with selling them and the big parties that come from that. Legalize them and the US drug rates go down to what they are in Holland (we are over 10 times more in cocaine and other harder drugs) of people who have tried them where its LEGAL.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.