Marijuana

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
Approved by Ghan_04. Please take a minute to read the rules.

A new debate! This time the topic is Marijuana. What is your opinion about it? Some people say Marijuana should be illegal no matter what. Some say it should be use medically as a treatment and some say it should be legal to anyone who wants it.

What is your opinion? Why?

Let's keep it clean, peaceful and constructive! :)
Thanks.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I honestly, have no opinions on marijuana. I can say I've had it before, but I dislike any form of smoking at all.

So, my answer is, I don't care.

But, yes, I will drink and party ;)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It impairs your reactions and directly affects those around you who are inhaling the smoke.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
It should be legalized.

Being made legal would absolutely diminish the huge amounts of money going into drug cartels and funding crime.

It would create new businesses and jobs.

People are going to use marijuana either way. Do you want them paying the shady guy in the alleyway with a knife or an honest businessman?

It is your body, and I believe you are free to do what you wish with your own body if it causes no harm to anyone else. I don't think it is the government's place to tell you what to do with your body.

"The marijuana user comits a victimless crime, and it's really horrific we make room in our prison system for people who have done nothing more than that"
-Christopher Hitchens.

Those are my main points on the subject. Note that I have never smoked or taken such drugs, and I have no desire to, but I do think people should have the right to choose.

Varine

Reaction score
It is your body, and I believe you are free to do what you wish with your own body if it causes no harm to anyone else. I don't think it is the government's place to tell you what to do with your body.

Find a way for them to contain the smoke then. The second-hand smoke of marijuana gets you high pretty easily and therefore affects others.

I really don't want to be getting on the freeway knowing that there's a much larger chance of people smoking their joints while driving alongside me.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
I really don't want to be getting on the freeway knowing that there's a much larger chance of people smoking their joints while driving alongside me.

Isn't smoking while driving already against the law?

Also, http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109333 this is an interesting article; in a Country where they are liberal with drugs, the people abusing the situation are people from countries where marijuana is opressed.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
It should be legalized.

Being made legal would absolutely diminish the huge amounts of money going into drug cartels and funding crime.

Or they could more openly sell it to a wider audience.

It would create new businesses and jobs.

There are plenty of things that do that.

People are going to use marijuana either way. Do you want them paying the shady guy in the alleyway with a knife or an honest businessman?

Are you using the safety of the buyer as an reason to legalize marijuana? o_O

The Government should at least be there to stop you when you go too far.

Varine

Reaction score
Isn't smoking while driving already against the law?

No. Cigarettes don't impair your ability to function normally like alcohol and marijuana. Well it is in the UK where you live, not here.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Or they could more openly sell it to a wider audience.

Are you telling me that if people had a choice to stop paying international criminals for something and instead buy it from a store like any other commodity, MORE people would choose the first option than previously (when the first option is the ONLY option) ??

There are plenty of things that do that.

I don't think this is a very strong rebuttal. Creating jobs is still a good thing even when jobs are being created elsewhere.

Are you using the safety of the buyer as an reason to legalize marijuana? o_O

Not exactly, this point is basically another iteration of funding crime over legal business.

The Government should at least be there to stop you when you go too far.

Going too far? Is indulging in personal pleasure at no-one else's expense (Which is what I'm condoning) 'going too far' ?

No. Cigarettes don't impair your ability to function normally like alcohol and marijuana. Well it is in the UK where you live, not here.

In my opinion, performing any task other than driving while driving :)P) should be fineable within reason (especially when it involves your hands)

Varine

Reaction score
Are you telling me that if people had a choice to stop paying international criminals for something and instead buy it from a store like any other commodity, MORE people would choose the first option than previously (when the first option is the ONLY option) ??

I am quite certain that there are people who grow marijuana within the country.

I don't think this is a very strong rebuttal. Creating jobs is still a good thing even when jobs are being created elsewhere.

Yes, let's legalize a drug that impairs your ability to perform normally within society and that has a huge ability to affect others so that we can create jobs.

Not exactly, this point is basically another iteration of funding crime over legal business.

I'm dismissing this because legalizing it would certainly put it under government control and therefore would probably be used as federal financing, and not going directly into the economy as it would with private businesses. Even if it was for private businesses, the tax on it would be insane and people would continue to buy it through illegal vendors because it would be cheaper.

Going too far? Is indulging in personal pleasure at no-one else's expense (Which is what I'm condoning) 'going too far' ?

I've already explained to you that it affects others, unless you can think of a way to contain the smoke so that no one else has to breathe it. And find a way to make it so that they aren't totally impaired, as I know marijuana does to people regardless of what anyone wants to tell me, so that they don't fuck up on the freeway or something.

In my opinion, performing any task other than driving while driving () should be fineable within reason (especially when it involves your hands)

Okay that's irrelevant, and all it does is further my point because people are going to be smoking while driving regardless of what the law says and if they're also getting high from said smoke it doesn't make a very good situation for someone to be in.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
I am quite certain that there are people who grow marijuana within the country.

Criminals all the same.

I probably shouldn't have used the word international, but I had in mind drug smugglers at the time

Yes, let's legalize a drug that impairs your ability to perform normally within society and that has a huge ability to affect others so that we can create jobs.

Well, we already have a gigantic cigarette industry which is arguably worse than marijuana.

And also, I'm not for the consumption of marijuana where it affects third parties. Smoking on your own property should be fine, but not in public (I share the same view with cigarette smoking)

I'm dismissing this because legalizing it would certainly put it under government control and therefore would probably be used as federal financing, and not going directly into the economy as it would with private businesses. Even if it was for private businesses, the tax on it would be insane and people would continue to buy it through illegal vendors because it would be cheaper.

Not too sure what is meant by federal financing, but it is still good isn't it? The money is still going to the good of your country?

I've already explained to you that it affects others, unless you can think of a way to contain the smoke so that no one else has to breathe it. And find a way to make it so that they aren't totally impaired, as I know marijuana does to people regardless of what anyone wants to tell me, so that they don't fuck up on the freeway or something.

Private property.

I think you're likening all marijuana smokers to the few that would abuse it by driving under the influence.

I don't see legalizing marijuana as a risk to road safety, because the people who would drive under the influence of drugs would already be doing it, as it is illegal. I don't think there will be people who go 'Yay, now that marijuana isn't against the law, I can smoke it while breaking the law of DUI'

Okay that's irrelevant, and all it does is further my point because people are going to be smoking while driving regardless of what the law says and if they're also getting high from said smoke it doesn't make a very good situation for someone to be in.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here to be honest. Should hand-held video games consoles be made illegal because of the few people that misuse them by playing while driving? (Unless I misunderstood, that counter question should address your position)

winkles

Reaction score
I'm for legalisation of it.
But as long as they:
1. Do it away from others eg there own home so i dont get high too.
2. Don't smoke and drive lol just like drink and drive
Also the fact that it should hopefully lower crime rate and that's always good .
I realise that it can really mess up your mind but tbh any drug eg alcohol and tobacco can do you harm if abused (lung cancer and liver disease.)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDRBm-qbQI GG

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Alcohol is legal but it is illegal to drive on it. Marijuana should be the same way.

Nobody in the world has ever overdosed on Marijuana. If it were legal it could be regulated like alcohol and cigarettes - right now there is no distinction between kids and adults buying it as it is all illegal.

The War on Drugs is Nixon era holdover that has no basis in scientific fact at least when it comes to marijuana. The problem is there are billions of dollars tied up in Law Enforcement, the influence of the Drug Cartels, the power drugs have to the CIA in messing with local governments and the huge black market.

The fact that marijuana is illegal just shows how much power government can have over people - where the leaders of the battle spout misinformation and are many times backward hicks. How many people are in jail in the world for drugs? Abuse of drugs is a health issue not a crime issue?

The world just won't wake up. They blame the demand for drugs for the crimes and hurt of drugs but it is the criminalization of drugs and the creation of this huge money flow next to destitute and desperate people that is the problem. The War on Drugs is a fallacy because no matter how many people they arrest there will always be someone to replace them because of the huge amount of money to be made.

Pot is not Meth Amphetamine or Crack. I think those should be legal as well even though I am sure they are damaging to your health unlike pot. What someone does to there body as long as it does not hurt anyone else should be there choice, imho.

Zakyath

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it legal if it just was prohibited to be high in public areas. Or something like that.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
It should Not be legalized at all. Only on medical purpose that is ok. nuff said

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
It should Not be legalized at all. Only on medical purpose that is ok. nuff said

So you think it is OK to keep this criminalized so that there is an underground created that sells drugs to kids and creates crime? Based on the ZERO marijuana deaths ever vs the legal alcohol and cigarette related deaths?

The question here is why is Marijuana illegal? What is the reason? It is bad for your health. Wrong. Then why? Why do you believe it should be illegal? Just because it is? It only recently became illegal and only recently did it become such a big problem.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
For those who oppose making Marijuana legal:
What about those who need it for health reasons? You should also consider the fact that people will keep getting Marijuana even if it is illegal. Illegal Marijuana is by far more dangerous (and pricey), maybe legalizing it is the only way to solve the problem?

For those supporting to making Marijuana legal:
What about kids, how are we to stop them from getting it? What about the health problems it may cause? How will you treats the addicts?

Good debate guys, let's keep it up! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.