World Massive Mag 8.9 Quake hits Japan, Hundreds killed in Tsunami

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
TOKYO – A ferocious tsunami spawned by one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded slammed Japan's eastern coast Friday, killing hundreds of people as it swept away boats, cars and homes while widespread fires burned out of control.

Hours later, the tsunami hit Hawaii and warnings blanketed the Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.

Police said 200 to 300 bodies were found in the northeastern coastal city of Sendai. Another 88 were confirmed killed and 349 were missing. The death toll was likely to continue climbing given the scale of the disaster.

The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake unleashed a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami and was followed by more than 50 aftershocks for hours, many of them of more than magnitude 6.0.

Last edited:

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
I hope those in the flooded areas or collapsed buildings are rescued and make it to safety, and that this doesn't do any major damage to Japan's economy.

We're all at nature's mercy,and a natural disaster can happen anywhere at anytime. Humans seem to be battling with mother nature all the time, depleting earth of its natural resources and destroying its atmosphere. Let's not take everything earth has to offer us for granted. One little lashback from mother nature will have devastating consequences, and we are pretty much powerless to do anything about it.

Let us pray for those who have been caught or affected by this disaster, and that disasters like this never happen again. I hope mankind will know to treasure mother nature and be thankful of what we already have along with all the good things nature has to offer us, instead of exploiting what she has given us.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope those in the flooded areas or collapsed buildings are rescued and make it to safety, and that this doesn't do any major damage to Japan's economy.

We're all at nature's mercy,and a natural disaster can happen anywhere at anytime. Humans seem to be battling with mother nature all the time, depleting earth of its natural resources and destroying its atmosphere. Let's not take everything earth has to offer us for granted. One little lashback from mother nature will have devastating consequences, and we are pretty much powerless to do anything about it.

Let us pray for those who have been caught or affected by this disaster, and that disasters like this never happen again. I hope mankind will know to treasure mother nature and be thankful of what we already have along with all the good things nature has to offer us, instead of exploiting what she has given us.

Japan has been crushed. They have not been even able to tally the total damage yet.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
Mourning aside, how cool would it be if the whirlpool of that size stayed permanently as a result of the quake?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I've just seen a whole lot of footage on tv... the relentless power of the tsunami as it surged across the mainland was truly shocking. It just took apart anything in its path. There was a tower block about 12 storys high, built to withstand earthquakes, just disintegrate under the sheer weight of the debris being crushed against it. There are huge fires burning in many places not hit by tsunamis, and there are fires where the tsunami has carried flaming debris with it. Considering the strength of the earthquake, most buildings seemed to stay intact from it; the tsunami is what seemed to cause most damage, as it was in 2004.

This looks like it could very easily prove worse than the Kobe earthquake of 1995, which killed over 6000 people. I hope that does not turn out to be the case.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
As if the other recent quakes, the strange widespread deaths of different animals, and the erratic climate patterns weren't enough...

Just hope everyone else is all right.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
It's not 2012 Yet. WTF. :p

On a more serious note, this is pretty crazy. 8.9 is incredibly strong. Not that I'm a superstitious person or anything, and maybe its just because I haven't lived long, but it seems like more and more major things are happening around the world of late....

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
It's not 2012 Yet. WTF. :p

This is only the beginning. Floods in Australia, Earthquakes in NZ, Floods in Brazil, Earthquake in Pacific Area, Tsunami in Japan...

What's next with 2012 still to come?

But meh, could be a coincidence.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The title is a little misleading. "Hundreds killed tsunami"? Should be "Tsunami killed hundreds".

I'm worried about the landscape of Japan near the shorelines. Agriculture, local residental housings, and near-oceanic transportation is ruined from the footage.

Here in Taiwan, we have a tsunami warning of a 1 meter high wave crashing the shoreline. It seems Japan took at least 70% of the total power generated from it.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Ouch, this makes it seem like in 2012, Earth is going to crumble like nothing...

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
My mother and my big brother is in Japan. I hope their fine, and is on a good condition. God bless Japan, from Philippines.... will be praying for them.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Ouch, this makes it seem like in 2012, Earth is going to crumble like nothing...

Japan is an area that's prone to earthquakes. It's unfortunate that a tsunami hits them, but it doesn't prove the prophecy is correct.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
All this jibber-jabber about 2012 is rubbish. Earthquakes happen regularly along the Pacific rim, which is where New Zealand and Japan are located. There have been massive earthquakes and tsunami like this happening for millenia, there has been no specific increase in the last few years.
There have also been rumours that the perigree moon coming up - when the moon will be at its closest to earth in several decades - has had some influence in these events. This is also more or less rubbish. The moon has no influence on the geological processes on earth. If it had any effect, it was on the tide, which could have influenced the size of the tsunami.

That explosion at that nuclear plant is quite worrying. I'm not sure on the details but radioactive debris could make clean up after the earthquake far more hazardous.
There were also a lot of explosions at oil refineries... there were several fireballs that were at least two miles across go up on one video I saw:
73326-japans-8-8-richterscale-earthquake.jpg

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
Earthquake moved Japan 2.4 meters and Shifted Earth on its Axis

Along with all the tragedy from the earthquake and tsunami from Japan, the world has seen a shift. Literally, the Earth has shifted on its axis in direct correlation to the earthquake. Japan’s strongest earthquake on record has moved the main island by 2.4 meters and re-aligned the earth.

“We know that one GPS station moved (2.4 meters), GSI, (the Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass;” stated Kenneth Hudnut, a US Geological Survey geophysicist.

The Earth shifted on its rotation axis by ten centimeters, stated Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology. The quakes’ impact on the axis was much greater than the shift from the 9.1 Indonesian quake in 2004; and second only to the Chilean quake of 1960. The information comes from the INIGV’s Antonio Piersanti.

The shift affects the length of time it takes the Earth to make a complete rotation. After the Chilean quake the earth lost a 1.26 microsecond. According to “Earth Sciences; “Earth's axis is the imaginary line which goes through the north and south poles and around which Earth spins. It is inclined 66.5 degrees from Earth's orbital plane, which means that it is tilted 23.5 degrees from a vertical 90 degrees. Generally, an axis is any imaginary or physical line that prescribes an object's movement. A taut string that goes through the center of a spinning ball would be an example of a physical axis. The string, as the axis, would represent the part of the ball that is not really moving or that is moving the least. An axis also includes the point that is known as the center of gravity.”

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...japan-24-meters-and-shifted-earth-on-its-axis

:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.