Mathematics - Formulas

Andyoyo

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I'd definitely post the attack type/armor type table here found at bnet.
Most maps have units that don't only use hero damage, & its good to know in general for WC3.

__________Light_____Medium____Heavy_____Fort____Hero____Unarmored
Normal____100%_____150%_____100%______70%___100%______100%
Pierce_____200%_____75%______100%_____35%____50%_______150%
Siege_____100% _____50%______100%_____150%___50%_______150%
Magic_____125%_____75%______200%_____35%____50%_______100%
Chaos_____100%_____100%_____100%_____100%___100%______100%
Spells_____100%_____100%_____100%_____100%___70%______100%
Hero______100%_____100%_____100%_____50%____100%_____100%

(Horizontal line is armor type & vertical line is Attacker weapon type)
Also Heroes have a 30% reduction to spell damage & units have 0% reduction. Spell damage is not hindered by armor or evasion.

It's possible that maps don't follow these values but 90% do.

Also, there is a Myth that Evasion isn't stackable. It is since you can try to add as many evasion you want, they will all stack. But 2x 15% evasion isn't 30% evasion, the formula X+Y=Z doens't work.
The only time evasion stacks is when it comes from a units chance to miss & passive evasion. Such as pandas brawler & haze. Otherwise the highest amount will override for passive.

A note about critical strike, it is rounded to the nearest 5% no matter what. It's hardcoded in WE. Also, armor is equal to 5.77% EHP, unless changed in map, which is very rare

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
oh god, just stumbled across this thread.
After I read the first post I was like "Omg that's not true..." and wanted to post a reply - until I noticed I had done so already almost two years ago!

Now I saw your reply.

>and yet that unit taking a nuke of 100 dmg dies on 1 hit (the base unit with 100 hp for example).

That's exactly what I meant :D
If what you. said was true, a unit with less effective hp would be stronger against spells than a unit with more; But as you can see both die. The effect is the same, no matter the effective hp. The effective damage increases/decreases proportionaly with the increase/decrease in effective hp, that's true, but the spell doesn't become more powerful. It still deals 100 hard damage.

wasniahC

Reaction score
Agree; It isn't a matter of the effective health being "worse"; its a terrible way to phrase this. Spells just don't effect your effective health, simple as that; effective health is only against attacks.
This, maybe a better term for it is "effective health against attacks".

Also, your crit formula is wrong; I think its just a bracket. You have something like (d*e-1)/100+1 which should be d*(e-1)/100+1; e is the critical multiplier, and you should multiply the BONUS damage, which is why you take away the first 100% of the damage from the bonus, first.

Eg: 30% chance of 2x damage.

30*(2-1)/100+1 = 30*1/100+1 = 30/100+1 = 0.3+1 = 1.3 - This is correct, a 30% chance to do 2x damage is a 30% chance to do +100% damage, so 30% bonus damage average.
(30*2-1)/100+1 = (60-1)/100+1 = 59/100+1 = 0.59+1 = 1.59
This is wrong. It is NOT a 59% boost to your damage to have 30% chance of double.

On the note of the evasion formula, yes, the person posting earlier was correct, I don't think you had added it to the thing? When it stacks, it multiplies.. kinda.

What you have to do is not work with the chance to miss, but the chance to be hit. Example:
Two 30% evasions.
0.3*0.3 = 0.09 (Thats wrong.)
0.7*0.7 = 0.49 (This is right.)

So, you can work out a 49% chance to be hit, meaning two 30% evasions that stack equal 51% chance to evade.

However, I was still pretty sure evasion DIDN'T stack based off all the tooltips in the game? D:

Edit: Thought i'd say the rest of the post was pretty damn good :D

Second edit: Read the d3 part.. wrong! Definately!
Imagine it like this. 18d3 means it rolls 18 3-sided dice. These can all come up as 1, in which case its 18. They can all come up as 3, in which case its 54. And they will have an average spread you can use to get an average damage, yes.

However, they can also be 17 1s and a 2, which is 19. Or 16 1s, a 2, and a 3, which is 21.

They can roll ANY number between 18 and 54, with 18 and 54 being least likely; consider, if you roll a 6-sided die twice, you can get one 3, one 4, or one 4, one 3, or one 2, one 5.. all give 7. But there is only one combination for 2; 1 & 1. For 12, there is only 6&6.
With two 6-sided die, there are 36 different combinations of die, sometimes giving the same result;
Sum of two dice added - Number of combinations giving this sum
2 - 1
3 - 2
4 - 3
5 - 4
6 - 5
7 - 6
8 - 5
9 - 4
10 - 3
11 - 2
12 - 1

Meaning its more likely to be 7 than it is to be anything else. Still, far more than just 6 totals, for rolling 2d6.
Now, imagine rolling 18d3.
I refuse to go into the numbers this can generate in any depth. ;p

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
EDIT:
thewrongvine said:
Um, so does evasion stack?
No.

Evasion from the "Evasion" ability will not stack with other "Evasion" abilities but the evasion WILL stack with the evasion from the "Drunken Brawler" ability. So 50% Evasion and 50% Drunken Brawler evasion = total 75% evasion. That is the only way evasions stack.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.